Help with fitting fire alarm

All your electrical questions regarding electrics from within the United Kingdom

Moderator: Moderators

Andy1974
Newly registered Member

Post by Andy1974 »

Can anyone help please!

Removed the old fire alarm (as the plastic bit that holds in place snapped) to replace with a new fire angle alarm.

The wire colours threw me off. Please see pic. I removed the red live wire from the connector. The old wiring is still in place.
A714B0D9-4A8E-41DC-A45C-FD2CFD34628C.jpeg
A714B0D9-4A8E-41DC-A45C-FD2CFD34628C.jpeg (268.07 KiB) Viewed 1217 times
The new alarm has Brown (Live), Blue (neutral), white (interlink, i think).

How do i make the new connection?
Someone-Else

Post by Someone-Else »

Not being pedantic, but that is a smoke alarm it is NOT a fire alarm. Fire alarms have a main panel and 24v detectors, you have to be careful otherwise people (insurance) will assume you do have a fire alarm.

Back to your question.

There is no rule that says what colour should be used for what, also you should not mix brands of smoke alarm due to incompatibility issues (not to mention it may go bang)
What you need to do is change all of your smoke alarms to the same brand, then not only is there no compatibility issues, you can decide what wire does what, but you must then use the same configuration on all of them.
Above are my opinions Below is my signature.

Would you hit a nail with a shoe because you don't have a hammer? of course not, then why work on anything electrical without a means of testing Click Here to buy a "tester" just because it works, does NOT mean it is safe.

:mrgreen: If gloom had a voice, it would be me.

:idea1: Click Here for a video how to add/change pictures

Inept people use the QUOTE BUTTON instead of the QUICK REPLY section :-)
Andy1974
Newly registered Member

Post by Andy1974 »

Someone-Else wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:39 pm Not being pedantic, but that is a smoke alarm it is NOT a fire alarm. Fire alarms have a main panel and 24v detectors, you have to be careful otherwise people (insurance) will assume you do have a fire alarm.

Back to your question.

There is no rule that says what colour should be used for what, also you should not mix brands of smoke alarm due to incompatibility issues (not to mention it may go bang)
What you need to do is change all of your smoke alarms to the same brand, then not only is there no compatibility issues, you can decide what wire does what, but you must then use the same configuration on all of them.
HI SE

Thanks. There are 2 smoke alarms. I am changing both to the same brand. Thanks for your input.

Blessings.
OnlyMe
Approved Electrician

Post by OnlyMe »

Well there is as problem with the neutral of the alarm being connected to the earth of the fixed wiring! The yellow is connected to the interlink. Photo of the other alarm removed from it base might help
Andy1974
Newly registered Member

Post by Andy1974 »

OnlyMe wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:05 pm Well there is as problem with the neutral of the alarm being connected to the earth of the fixed wiring! The yellow is connected to the interlink. Photo of the other alarm removed from it base might help
I opened up the other alarm and found that earth was blanked and the neutral was correctly connected. So i figured out that in the picture i sent the wiring was wrongly done. I have now connected things correctly. Thanks for your input.

Return to “Electric Forum UK”