Kitchen Electrical Socket Screws stuck

All your electrical questions regarding electrics from within the United Kingdom

Moderator: Moderators

docrob
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by docrob »

Hi All,

First time poster here so hopefully this is the correct section to post in.

I have been tiling the kitchen recently and when trying to loosen the face plates of a few sockets the screws would spin but not pull out any further. After much effort I managed to get them out and was able to replace for new screws which I thought may have been the issue to start with. I tiled underneath the sockets and started to rescrew in the new screws but both have gone in most of the way but are now spinning and neither going in further or coming back out again. I have no idea what I can do to get these screws out or how to solve the issue of screws not going in all the way properly. Any ideas what I should do as the sockets are now loose which isn't an ideal situation with live electrics? Very novice DIYer so not massively up to speed on different techniques or have an exhaustive tool kit to utilise.

Hopefully someone has some good ideas on this. Thanks in advance!
IMG20201118090251.jpg
IMG20201118090251.jpg (178.04 KiB) Viewed 1865 times
aeromech3

Post by aeromech3 »

:welcomeuhm: Those are not wall plate screws which come with the slot head as per the switch plate on the right (M3.5 thread). You can only isolate the electrics and slightly pull outward on the socket plate whilst turning the screws anti clock. After you will need to check the back electrical connections are still secure.
London mike 61

Post by London mike 61 »

If the thread is stripped you can buy back box repair clips.

Mike
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!!
docrob
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by docrob »

Ok thanks for the replies. Did think it was odd that they only came out a small way but still I can't remove some of the screws as they are just spinning. Any ideas how to remove these and in the meantime the backbox savers certainly look interesting?
aeromech3

Post by aeromech3 »

Last resort, not easy, power off: a junior Hacksaw or just fine (20-24TPI) 12" hacksaw blade with tape wrap for the handle hold screw from rotating with driver bit; then you need to photo the connections and get into box for the rest.
Or for your tool kit S. fix 465HJ, there are 10" versions but not as popular.

Return to “Electric Forum UK”