Make exposed wires safe?

All your electrical questions regarding electrics from within the United Kingdom

Moderator: Moderators

Rover7895
Newly registered Member
Been thanked: 0

Make exposed wires safe?

Post by Rover7895 »

I've just been painting my parents old house before I put it on the market.
I came across a really old broken thermostat which has probably been there since my Dad moved in back in the 60s. I removed it and was hoping an electrician would come and make the wires safe, but nobody is interested.

So looks like I'm going to have to do it, but haven't really got a clue what to do.
I read that I need some caps or a junction box?

Any advice guys?
Attachments
20200916_092224.jpg
20200916_092224.jpg (144.59 KiB) Viewed 1352 times
Someone-Else

Make exposed wires safe?

Post by Someone-Else »

First question, is the cable live? Can you follow the cable back to where it comes from and see is it still connected.
Above are my opinions Below is my signature.

Would you hit a nail with a shoe because you don't have a hammer? of course not, then why work on anything electrical without a means of testing Click Here to buy a "tester" just because it works, does NOT mean it is safe.

:mrgreen: If gloom had a voice, it would be me.

:idea1: Click Here for a video how to add/change pictures

Inept people use the QUOTE BUTTON instead of the QUICK REPLY section :-)
ericmark

Make exposed wires safe?

Post by ericmark »

Personally I would put a connector on them so no bare copper and cover with a blanking plate Image main point is the blanking plate shows there is an electric wire under it.
Someone-Else

Make exposed wires safe?

Post by Someone-Else »

But you don't want to touch them if they are live, which begs the question, who / how was the old stat removed?

Would you hit a nail with a shoe because you don't have a hammer? of course not, then why work on anything electrical without a means of testing Click Here to buy a "tester" just because it works, does NOT mean it is safe.

Rover7895
Newly registered Member
Been thanked: 0

Make exposed wires safe?

Post by Rover7895 »

someone-else wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:22 pm First question, is the cable live? Can you follow the cable back to where it comes from and see is it still connected.
They are live. I think they lead back to the adjoining living room, but a staircase was installed years ago. I'd have thought that this would have been taken out back then.
someone-else wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:31 pm But you don't want to touch them if they are live, which begs the question, who / how was the old stat removed?
The thermostat was removed by unscrewing after turning off the leccy at the mains.
Someone-Else

Make exposed wires safe?

Post by Someone-Else »

How do you know they are live?

Is there another room stat in the house?

You could always put a single connector block on each wire (Mains off first) and cover it with a blank plate as ericmark suggested

Rorschach

Make exposed wires safe?

Post by Rorschach »

If they are definitely live then my usualy method is to put the wires into a connector (chocolate) block and then wrap in electrical tape. In your case I would then put a cover plate over it as Eric suggests. If you can disconnect the wires at the other end though and make them safe the job would be a lot simpler and safer.

Return to “Electric Forum UK”