Need some acrylic plastic cut for a science project!

All Questions about Acrylic in here please.

Moderator: Moderators

jebus197
Newly registered Member
Been thanked: 0

Re: Need some acrylic plastic cut for a science project!

Post by jebus197 »

Maybe I might have hit on something: http://www.myfridgemagnets.co.uk/pleximag-c9

This solves quite a few problems, like what if I did want to stick them to a board?
jebus197
Newly registered Member

Post by jebus197 »

merlin50 wrote:Image

this is what i cut plastic with
I can't see from your image what this is, but would it work for CD covers?
merlin50

Post by merlin50 »

jebus197 wrote:

yes it will work
its a tile cutter
jebus197
Newly registered Member

Post by jebus197 »

merlin50 wrote:
jebus197 wrote:

yes it will work
its a tile cutter
So, can you (or someone with access to one of these) please help? Can you test this first by drawing and trying to cut a hexagon on a CD case? What sort of results do you get?

The main reason I would still go with CD cases is cost and as a basic proof of principle. I emailed the guy about the fridge magnets, but again this will break down to cost and these may be ideal for a slightly later and slightly more developed version of this concept.
jebus197
Newly registered Member

Post by jebus197 »

No takers on this?
big-all
Pro Carpenter

Post by big-all »

the trouble you have is your are on a limited budget unless you can get a hobbyist or retired person give there time for next to nought or a couple off pints your talking a fair bit off money

do you have a technical subjects woodwork or automotive or even aeronitical department where you study that could help ??
we are all ------------------still learning
jebus197
Newly registered Member

Post by jebus197 »

Yes well, that is kind of the reason I came here to ask if anyone could help. There's no requirement for anyone to be 'retired', just someone with maybe enough interest in science to want to make it happen. I can't pay (or at least I couldn't pay much), but it certainly wouldn't cost anyone anything, except a little of their time. Sometimes relying on the kindness of strangers can work out. There's certainly nothing wrong with giving it a go.

At least if someone has a tile cutter, couldn't they even just try this out and confirm it works on CD covers, before I have to rush out and buy one?
kellys_eye

Post by kellys_eye »

Have a look around for a local acrylic sign-making business and sweet talk them into helping out. A reasonable explanation of your circumstances and needs and you might find them to be very amenable.
Don't take it personally......
jebus197
Newly registered Member

Post by jebus197 »

Well maybe I might have to do something like that, if no one else here feels able to offer their help.
big-all
Pro Carpenter

Post by big-all »

is there no one at your place off study/work that may help ??
if you where near me i would do it for the proverbial "drink" as i like a challenge :huray:
do you have any craft groups near you ?? :dunno:
jebus197
Newly registered Member

Post by jebus197 »

I'm not a very arty or crafty sort, hence my choice of career path as a scientist unfortunately. The danger is if I go down an arts and craft route and maybe post a similar message on an arts and craft forum, I could end up chasing down another potentially blind alley.

I rather imagined that as this was a fairly practical task, which required the use of some fairly basic practical skills and moreover the use of some basic and practical tools, that asking guys with experience of cutting plastics might help.

Can the University source funding to maybe have some hexagons and pentagons injection moulded, or cut with a laser cutter, or manufactured from scratch by some other means? Maybe, but it's unlikely. That's not really how things work. This is a private bioinformatics project (basically designing a way to teach biology to other people), and Universities don't just hand out cash or resources willy nilly. In essence I am just prototyping a concept in the hope of impressing my professor, who may then be able to persuade some of the higher-ups that this might be something worth investing some resources in. (By for example designing a 2D chemistry modelling kit that could fit inside a pencil tin and that could enable students to learn basic chemistry fairly quickly.) The idea is that it's just a time saver, since it's easier and quicker to manipulate physical models than it is to draw them.

Physical proximity isn't a huge issue, as I would happily cover postage costs. The problem ATM is getting real actual confirmation that a shape like this can be cut using a tile cutter and a CD case. There's no point in pursuing the matter if this approach simply won't work.
big-all
Pro Carpenter

Post by big-all »

you seem to read things differently to me :lol:
i just ment a local arts and craft group may have your solution to hand rather than you become " crafty" :thumbright:

my suggestion would be you have a problem and your solution which off course may be brilliant :wink:
i would off course think you should be flexable [which you are being] but you seem to be over complicating things with your massive brain :lol:
ok what i mean is you are looking for a solution via your way but that may not be the best way or be possible or practical :dunno:
jebus197
Newly registered Member

Post by jebus197 »

I'm looking for a simple solution to a simple problem. This problem simply put is, 'can any guys with access to band saws, chain saws, great stonking drill presses and all manner of other types of tools and other cutting devices and countless years of experience in such matters, cut some fairly simple shapes, or at least try, with whatever materials may be at hand to see if it's at least a practical thing to do, so I don't need to rush out and spend money on tile cutters etc unnecessarily myself?

The problem isn't that I lack 'arts and craft' skills, it's more that as a practical person I know no one of this persuasion, and so my only option in such a case would be to select another forum and to try to go down a similar road to that attempted here. Although fear that I would have even less chances of success, with people potentially asking if I wanted them 'decorated with flowers', or 'glitter' etc. lol. I suspect there's a good solid skill set here, and that this forum is filled with practical people just like me. And since this is a practical problem, it would benefit I feel from a practical approach.

I couldn't imagined when I started down this path that trying to get some simple hexagons, pentagons and triangles cut in plastic would have proved so challenging.
merlin50

Post by merlin50 »

I could go into my workshop and select a piece of plastic from my stock pile of the thickness you are suggesting and cut it with the tile saw, but what is the point as I have been doing this before you were born. If you try and cut it with a saw the blade it will snag on thin material and it will split, if you use a diamond blade it will not split, and with a bit of sanding after cutting you get a perfect edge.
I would do it for you if you would climb to the top of a 41 foot tree that I have to cut down bit by bit, and repair the forge, repair the fence, make the new window for the kitchen.
big-all
Pro Carpenter

Post by big-all »

the problem is you have a limited budget
you need someone with the right tools in your area prepared to work for nothing
now i would love to help as i enjoy a challenge but then i am in the wrong area
all my alternative suggestion are because a member in the right area with the time and correct tools has to notice the thread and have time to spare to respond and do the task so alternatives are more likely to get a response and hopefully sort your task
good luck and i hope you get it sorted
please let us know how you get on :thumbright:

Return to “Acrylic Forum”