Metal washers and spring washers

Metalworking questions in this section please

Moderator: Moderators

curtains

Metal washers and spring washers

Post by curtains »

I've bought a hydraulic press and the diagram on the instructions is rubbish so I don't know where to use the metal washers and spring washers so could someone me tell which way the washers should go. On the diagram it shows to put a bolt through the front of the frame then at the back use the spring washer then the metal washer then the nut but if you look at the manufacturer site they use a flat washer at the front of the frame on some bolts but the instructions don't show this.

The press is a automotech AS-0901F
aeromech3

Re: Metal washers and spring washers

Post by aeromech3 »

If using a nut and bolt: the standard method is the spring washer closest to the nut then a plain washer, the unit and then head of the bolt on the other side.
Some spring washers are both strong and sharp and will cut into soft material hence the nut and washer are dispensable.
For vertical bolts it is preferable to have the bolt head top most so that should the nut loosen the bolt does not drop out!
If for no other reason, a bolt head is more aesthetic to view on the outside than a nut, 2 washers and a length of thread! (reason could be clearance, also a nut is considered in safety when 1.5 threads are showing when clamped up).
Jonno34
Newly registered Member
Been thanked: 0

Post by Jonno34 »

Agree with the above
Manc chippy

Post by Manc chippy »

As a rule, sometimes, you can see unboxing stuff on YouTube. This has saved me before

Return to “Metalworking Forum”