Vice spring repair?

Metalworking questions in this section please

Moderator: Moderators

domgoneultimate
Newly registered Member
Been thanked: 0

Vice spring repair?

Post by domgoneultimate »

Ok so I clamped it for ages and no change so I thought I've not much to lose trying my dad's kiln so it's in there now going up to 720C then after 5 minutes it will turn off and slowly cool. Then onto the other two stages. So just to make sure: next I reform and heat to about 700C and quench? And then about 300C? And quench for the final stage? Hopefully I've read that correctly and using a kiln will work :/ (it's a fairly large top open electric type kiln for pottery) ? Fingers crossed. Thanks!
domgoneultimate
Newly registered Member

Vice spring repair?

Hello! Back again well that did seem to work as such I didn't get the strong colours possibly due to the kilns way of being sealed and I read a more brown finish can happen as well in ovens... And I air dried instead of quenching the tempering stage. (As per last post).

But unfortunately I am still having problems. Here are some photos of the vice now : http://imgur.com/gallery/79zeOc9

And it's quiet good and tightens fine but with winding the jaws open the main thread slips out of the half nut in the middle (hopefully I'm using the correct names). It slowly pushes the half nut up or down if it's the right way up as such so you see the quick release arm move then clicks back into place once it's crossed over a thread. I've played with the parts to try and get it working solidly but it keeps going back to slipping. Any thoughts? I'm also using dry PTFE lubricant which I'm wondering if it's working well... Could it be friction?Thanks.
Bob225

Vice spring repair?

Post by Bob225 »

Not enough spring tension or the 2 prongs on the pivot plate are bent up
domgoneultimate
Newly registered Member

Vice spring repair?

Just thought I would wrap this up after a good long period of using this....Well yes the 2 prongs were me trying different angles for getting a better further push possibly... anyway it seems part of it was because it wasn't mounted via the bolts when I was testing it also does catch a bit of it's really cold...weather that's friction from cold lubricants or contacting metal or something I am not sure but all in all its worked fine for me now thanks!
jackofnotrades
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0

Vice spring repair?

Post by jackofnotrades »

Job and Knock wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:06 pm I'm lucky enough to have a fairly local spring maker who seems to happy enough to make-up one off pieces.
Would you be willing to share his details with me? I also live in lancashire and have been looking to replace a snapped spring from a Parkinson's perfect no.14 I rescued from an old workbench in my dad's garden. Thanks in advance!

Return to “Metalworking Forum”