Thats handy

This is where you can post pictures of extremely poor workmanship, whether it is done by a dodgy tradesman or by an incompetent DIY'er. Instructions on how to post pictures can be found in here.

Moderator: Moderators

tombarry

Thats handy

Post by tombarry »

On his way to the job site
Saves on a roof rack I guess :lol:
Attachments
Car roof ladder.jpg
Car roof ladder.jpg (609.5 KiB) Viewed 7918 times
arco_iris

Re: Thats handy

Post by arco_iris »

If it was red, would make a good fire engine for Portmerion!
These users thanked the author arco_iris for the post:
AlwaysLearning (Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:20 pm)
Rating: 7.14%
adonis

Post by adonis »

The big question is is it legal? I cannot see a problem with it unless it swings side to side, and it
saves on the cost of a roof rack :thumbleft:
Rorschach

Post by Rorschach »

I transported a stair hand rail in a similar manner. At the time I didn't have a car with a roof rack or sunroof but our neighbour had a car with a fully opening sunroof. He drove us out to buy it and then I sat in the back holding on to it. Worked very well. We went past a police station and several coppers, no one stopped us :lol:
Someone-Else

Post by Someone-Else »

adonis wrote:The big question is is it legal?
Nope. Insecure load.
In my time I have seen several ladders come off of cars...............
Above are my opinions Below is my signature.

Would you hit a nail with a shoe because you don't have a hammer? of course not, then why work on anything electrical without a means of testing Click Here to buy a "tester" just because it works, does NOT mean it is safe.

:mrgreen: If gloom had a voice, it would be me.

:idea1: Click Here for a video how to add/change pictures

Inept people use the QUOTE BUTTON instead of the QUICK REPLY section :-)
Nos

Post by Nos »

Last year while driving down a gentle slope into the town, coming up the hill was an old Renault Five with its tailgate wide open, in the boot there was a woman holding on to the drawbar, of a decent sized trailer :? :shock: no towbar so they improvised!
Rorschach

Post by Rorschach »

someone-else wrote:
adonis wrote:The big question is is it legal?
Nope. Insecure load.
In my time I have seen several ladders come off of cars...............
Is it insecure though? A few straps would hold that nice and solid but could be out of sight.
Argyll

Post by Argyll »

I once loaded several pvc sills on my roof rack. Unbeknown to me the wind got between the sills and they shattered spreading a mess all over the A19. It was highly embarrassing and lesson learned :oops: :oops: :oops:
ayjay

Post by ayjay »

I once saw a builder (Greek) put a whole load of glass on the roof-rack of his estate car, they were large pieces, about a dozen of them, at least fully glazed door size. As he drove out of the yard, down the dip into the road gutter, off they all came with a tremendous crash.

It was difficult not to laugh, in fact I think I failed. :oops: :mrgreen:
One day it will all be firewood.
Dave54

Post by Dave54 »

ayjay wrote:I once saw a builder (Greek) put a whole load of glass on the roof-rack of his estate car, they were large pieces, about a dozen of them, at least fully glazed door size. As he drove out of the yard, down the dip into the road gutter, off they all came with a tremendous crash.

Which reminds me somehow of seeing a lorry driver at work loading a stack of random offcuts of steel sheet from the coil ends onto his lorry. Awkward things they had a couple of slings around them, and they slipped endways through the slings towards him. He ran up them! Lucky really, I reckon he'd have been badly hurt. There was probably a tonne of them.
Tom d'Angler

Post by Tom d'Angler »

The big question is is it legal? I cannot see a problem with it
... until he has to slam on his brakes (assuming it's not secured out of sight inside the car).
ayjay

Post by ayjay »

Dave54 wrote:
ayjay wrote:I once saw a builder (Greek) put a whole load of glass on the roof-rack of his estate car, they were large pieces, about a dozen of them, at least fully glazed door size. As he drove out of the yard, down the dip into the road gutter, off they all came with a tremendous crash.

Which reminds me somehow of seeing a lorry driver at work loading a stack of random offcuts of steel sheet from the coil ends onto his lorry. Awkward things they had a couple of slings around them, and they slipped endways through the slings towards him. He ran up them! Lucky really, I reckon he'd have been badly hurt. There was probably a tonne of them.
I worked on a hotel in Bournemouth a while back, shortly before I was there one guy was killed when a crane lifted two large RSJs, they were crossed over each other on the ground, and as they lifted he went to shove them straight, that trapped his hand, and as they carried on lifting they straightened up under their own steam and came together like a giant pair of scissors and took the top of his head right off.

There was a court case afterwards, can't remember the outcome though.
One day it will all be firewood.
Grendel

Post by Grendel »

Many years ago for the job we were doing te storeman gave me the keys to the transit pick up saying could I take the youngerman board and mixer to the other yard . No problem I thought and set off . Got to te yard and asked where they wanted the board to which the response was "what board?" . Seems the guy who brought the pick up in had removed a ladder and not tied it up again and I just didn't check. I set back off on the route I had come with visions of the board implanted in a car but thankfully we found it rather the worst for wear in the hedgerow . Frightening really and I always have made sure things are secure since.
Grendel

Post by Grendel »

Seems that driver has " friends " who have similar ideas,
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-c ... e-46795396
Rorschach

Post by Rorschach »

The only offence they could pick him up on though was no having a marker on the ladder. A simple red rag tied around the end would have made it perfectly legal.

Return to “Rogues Gallery”