Absolute must see TV.

This is where you can post pictures of extremely poor workmanship, whether it is done by a dodgy tradesman or by an incompetent DIY'er. Instructions on how to post pictures can be found in here.

Moderator: Moderators

fitzy
CLOSED ACCOUNT

Re: Absolute must see TV.

Post by fitzy »

OchAye wrote:Depressing the level of idiocy around, or rather people believing they can make a quick buck. The finish of the other two properties was not much better mind you ... at least this guy had no money.
Most of them look neat and tidy from a distance, but there is always the close up shot or an angle that gives the standard away.

On this one, the producers seemed to want to highlight the guys ham fisted attempts and even the estate agents comment on the finish.

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk
MatMan
Newly registered Member

Post by MatMan »

Wow can't believe that those are the after pictures! I saw an episode where the buyer did absolutely nothing with the house except move some furniture around slightly and they still did their transformation "woosh" that they do..... I thought that was funny at the time but this is better!
OchAye

Post by OchAye »

fitzy wrote:
OchAye wrote:Depressing the level of idiocy around, or rather people believing they can make a quick buck. The finish of the other two properties was not much better mind you ... at least this guy had no money.
Most of them look neat and tidy from a distance, but there is always the close up shot or an angle that gives the standard away.

On this one, the producers seemed to want to highlight the guys ham fisted attempts and even the estate agents comment on the finish.
Ham fisted? He bought it blind never knowing how much work was needed, he did not realise he had to pay buyer's and seller's premium, and then he left his job and got a part time job in order to "supervise" the workers (to do it himself rather). He also had he had no DIY experience. What that programme does is make people think buying, renovating a house, and selling it on for a profit is easy peasy. I think they used the clip as partly comedy and partly a warning to buyers the only thing more will fall for the same stuff.

The other two you could see the cheapness in skirting boards, shiny plastic carpets with a "decorative" open fire straight on the carpet or the first guy where you could see the filled areas underneath the gray paint flashing(?). Sanding was too time consuming ;-)
Cantseeitfrommyhouse

Post by Cantseeitfrommyhouse »

mike10 wrote:It certainly is an eye opener.
It isn't my favourite example though..... this fella building a driveway is;

Sub-base preparation

Membrane and sand

Top surface

Files are mp4, but should play in a browser with luck

This just happened to be on the telly whilst I was in the process of laying some paths for someone and I had to chop it up into 3 parts to mail it to them.

I especially like the PPE when using the whacker plate;
Goggles, check.
Gloves, check.
Ear defenders, check.
Oversuit, check.
Knee pads, check.
Back brace, check.
Dust mask, check.
Boots. . . . . . . .. nah, some old trainers will do.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ::b :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Pooneil

Post by Pooneil »

There's a couple of guys local to me that jumped on this 'anyone can renovate a house bandwagon'. When they had 'finished' their first property they couldn't sell it for more than the price they originally paid, never mind recover the costs of the work they'd done. It went back on the market as 'an ideal renovation project' :lol:

I did some early work for the new buyers and seriously they could not have made more of a mess of the place if they'd turned it into a squat for a couple of years.

When I heard they'd discovered a cure for dyslexia it was like music to my arse!
fitzy
CLOSED ACCOUNT

Post by fitzy »

Watched todays episode and more of the same really. Young guy had done out a terrace house.

It showed a close up of some skirting under a radiator. Gloss all over the wall, and what looked to be muck and dust sitting on top of the skirting.

If you bought one of these houses you would probably have quite a bit to do ranging from snagging to a full redecoration, such is the amateurish standard of most of the finishes.

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk

Return to “Rogues Gallery”