Nice wiring!

This is where you can post pictures of extremely poor workmanship, whether it is done by a dodgy tradesman or by an incompetent DIY'er. Instructions on how to post pictures can be found in here.

Moderator: Moderators

Stooby2
Newly registered Member

Nice wiring!

Post by Stooby2 »

A friend of mine asked me to have a look at the outside lights and socket in his garden, that run from his brick built shed. He's recently bought the house. This was the mess inside the junction box, although I had removed a couple of choc blocks already.

Whoever installed it use random combinations of the colours. The red cable on the bottom right is the (isolated) line from the house, light blue is neutral and the unsleeved cable is earth. However, the socket to the left of it (slightly out of pic) was wired yellow to live, blue to neutral, unsleeved to earth, as was the garden socket! The two lights had red for live, blue for neutral.

The two cables going down went outside to socket and one light, both buried under the patio, but were shorting across the blue and unsleeved, so they were disconnected and cut back. One the cable going up went to a light onthe wall of the shed, which was also shorting and was removed completely. I rewired the socket with the correct cable and sleeved up the rest to the correct colours.

To cap it all, this was connected to the upstairs lighting circuit inside the house!

kellys_eye

Re: Nice wiring!

Post by kellys_eye »

Sloppy and untidy but all too common - the simple use of proper coloured sleeves would have been enough to allow it to pass first muster but, then again, we know that jobs like that are done 'down' to a price and never 'up' to an acceptable standard.

I've seen worse - a LOT worse.
These users thanked the author kellys_eye for the post:
multiman
Rating: 7.14%
Don't take it personally......
wine~o

Post by wine~o »

No excuse ever for not sleeving the Earths in a metal enclosure though...
These users thanked the author wine~o for the post:
multiman
Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk
Morbius

Post by Morbius »

Looks like fp200 cable, normally used for fire alarms. Notice they haven't got a earth connection to the back of that metal box as well.
These users thanked the author Morbius for the post:
multiman
Stooby2
Newly registered Member

Post by Stooby2 »

There's wasn't a Earth terminal in the box, oddly enough. I put a crimped ring and fly lead on one of the mounting screws and put a fly lead on the socket box which did have one. But I didn't do any other work as I couldn't verify how good or bad the earth to the CCU was and didn't want to add anything to it.
These users thanked the author Stooby2 for the post:
multiman
City Flooring
Newly registered Member

Post by City Flooring »

Stooby2 wrote:A friend of mine asked me to have a look at the outside lights and socket in his garden, that run from his brick built shed. He's recently bought the house. This was the mess inside the junction box, although I had removed a couple of choc blocks already.

Whoever installed it use random combinations of the colours. The red cable on the bottom right is the (isolated) line from the house, light blue is neutral and the unsleeved cable is earth. However, the socket to the left of it (slightly out of pic) was wired yellow to live, blue to neutral, unsleeved to earth, as was the garden socket! The two lights had red for live, blue for neutral.

The two cables going down went outside to socket and one light, both buried under the patio, but were shorting across the blue and unsleeved, so they were disconnected and cut back. One the cable going up went to a light onthe wall of the shed, which was also shorting and was removed completely. I rewired the socket with the correct cable and sleeved up the rest to the correct colours.

To cap it all, this was connected to the upstairs lighting circuit inside the house!

Who wired this? The bloke who sells batteries at Tesco? ho ho ho
These users thanked the author City Flooring for the post (total 2):
sajeelmultiman
Rating: 14.29%
sajeel
BANNED

Post by sajeel »

Yeee haaa [FACE WITH TEARS OF JOY]

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author sajeel for the post:
multiman
Dekmantel
Newly registered Member

Post by Dekmantel »

Disgraceful that someone can get away with such shoddy work.
These users thanked the author Dekmantel for the post:
multiman
DmitriKara

Post by DmitriKara »

You could say.. that in a certain way.. that is almost beautiful :cheers:
These users thanked the author DmitriKara for the post:
multiman
multiman
BANNED