How to to wire in a new shower

This is where you can post pictures of extremely poor workmanship, whether it is done by a dodgy tradesman or by an incompetent DIY'er. Instructions on how to post pictures can be found in here.

Moderator: Moderators

Edward85
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0

How to to wire in a new shower

Post by Edward85 »

Hello All UHW. Newbie here. I have questions, but this forum caught my eye.

Last year I had someone in to finish the bathroom off. I'd got the bath in and most of the tiles. But I hate tiling round corners & windows & my work keeps me busy. So I decided to let someone else finish.

I wish we'd not. I wasn't that impressed with his work. But his efforts with the shower were incredible. Could've killed us. To his credit he did give me back £300, which was the cost of replacing the shower and the electricians quote to correct his work. But only after I'd gone through a few hoops with him.

The shower turned out to be okay. So that's now a spare. The electrician came out, changed the cable and pull cord. But didn't come back to fit the new MCB that was also required & paperwork to accompany his work. We had family over Xmas so I needed the shower. I changed the MCB myself. I did text him asking him to come back to finish and ask how he wanted paying. Lesson learnt. He's not having a penny until I get an invoice and certificate for his work. We trusted the plumber and he left us NOTHING to prove it. If he'd dug his heels in, we'd of been out of pocket for the remedial work.

The fault. Poor connection in the pull cord switch junction. The neutral pulled out with next to no effort. The tug test would've flagged this up. But then he missed the MCB anyway.
Attachments
The offending article.
The offending article.
Shower.jpg (129.17 KiB) Viewed 7108 times
kellys_eye

Re: How to to wire in a new shower

Post by kellys_eye »

What size cable is in that pull switch? Looks under-rated to me.

That aside any respectable sparky would be fully aware of issues loose wiring can cause, especially on high power consuming devices like showers! so should have taken extra care to make those basic checks.

A new switch will be needed by the look of it too.
Don't take it personally......

Return to “Rogues Gallery”