Replacement Bay Windows

This is where you can post pictures of extremely poor workmanship, whether it is done by a dodgy tradesman or by an incompetent DIY'er. Instructions on how to post pictures can be found in here.

Moderator: Moderators

teams
Been thanked: 0

Replacement Bay Windows

Post by teams »

Hi Guys

A double glazing company has measured and manufactured bay (one large and two smaller windows) double glazing windows. The result is that the bay window is the wrong size. What the installer has done in his second attempt is add strips to the frame to reduce the gap (about 12cm), then remove the sills, move the frame in slightly, this has reduced the gap, but this has left other issues. The finish between the frame and beading has gaps, the joining pole is set back leaving a cavity. Too much of the frame has been covered up by a finishing strip (the company has said this is within their installation standards). They haven't been able to replace the existing sills, they took most of them away.

We took pictures as the installation was in progress.

Thanks in advance for your advice.
Attachments
Window 1.JPG
Window 1.JPG (20.44 KiB) Viewed 9954 times
BillyGoat
Troll Headbutter

Re: Replacement Bay Windows

Post by BillyGoat »

Which company?

That's shocking....have you paid them? :lol:

BG
These users thanked the author BillyGoat for the post:
teams
Rating: 7.14%
Arguing with a woman is like reading a Software Licence Agreement.
In the end, you ignore everything and click "I agree".
teams

Post by teams »

Thanks for responding Billy, it's one of the big four, they are members of a federation. I'm just cautious in naming them as this is a live issue. The double glazing was sold to my elderly parents, there's a story to that too.They have been fully paid for.
They are going on about 'to their standards' etc. Adding upvc strips to the frame, doesn't sound right, can they do that?
BillyGoat wrote:Which company?

BG
BillyGoat
Troll Headbutter

Post by BillyGoat »

teams wrote:Thanks for responding Billy, it's one of the big four, they are members of a federation. I'm just cautious in naming them as this is a live issue. The double glazing was sold to my elderly parents, there's a story to that too.They have been fully paid for.
They are going on about 'to their standards' etc. Adding upvc strips to the frame, doesn't sound right, can they do that?

BG
Makes sense to keep it under your hat - although, it's certainly a bargaining chip later in the game.

Is there a contract or agreement? I'd certainly reject them, they have clearly been made incorrectly.

Have the other two been installed that way too? If not, then that goes to argue your case (not that you should need too) that they have been made differently/incorrectly!

Sure a bead or trim to finish it off, but a hole that big??? What did they even put inside it for heatloss, etc - shocking.

BG
These users thanked the author BillyGoat for the post:
teams
Arguing with a woman is like reading a Software Licence Agreement.
In the end, you ignore everything and click "I agree".
Bob225

Post by Bob225 »

time to get it inspected, send pics to fensa too, and get trading standards involved

that look like a typical sub-contracter bodge
These users thanked the author Bob225 for the post:
teams
wine~o

Post by wine~o »

flash22 wrote:time to get it inspected, send pics to fensa

FENSA won't give a toss..... Trading standards are far too busy and underfunded.. what other schemes are these *fitters* a member of ??
These users thanked the author wine~o for the post:
teams
Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk
steviejoiner74

Post by steviejoiner74 »

Name and shame and share it on Facebook or whatever other social media you have access too.
That's cowboy stuff and I'm sure if you plaster that image over Facebook you'll very quickly get recompense.
These users thanked the author steviejoiner74 for the post:
teams
Carpentry,I can explain it to you but I cannot understand it for you.
Thewindowguy

Post by Thewindowguy »

If they are registered with FENSA then please call fensa. You should no way paid in full they can have a deposit but you hold the rest till happy, usually by a set time after completion. It looks like new windows the correct size is needed.
Nothing wrong with added small extra pieces called knock ons to the frame , this is usually done so the frame isn't lost behind plaster.
steviejoiner74

Post by steviejoiner74 »

:withstupid: add-ons are fine and if it's one of the big firms like you've mentioned they'll not have taken all the money yet.
The joiner that was their to install the Windows shouldn't even have started the bay. I've fitted many hundreds of Windows and the first thing you do is check the thing will fit before you tear the old one out!! If it's the wrong size you leave alone. I've had to leave 4 or 5 this year alone as they've been measured/manufactured wrong.
Name and shame!!
Carpentry,I can explain it to you but I cannot understand it for you.
Thewindowguy

Post by Thewindowguy »

Yes I always check the paper work matches the style and the size matches , measure frame and opening and double check, also show the customer the style to make sure what I'm fitting is what there expecting.
Bay windows always take along time and does often require pieces where frame meets brick, with the old timber this can be cut and shaped more easily, with upvc the sections can't be cut like that so fill pieces timber ect then trim is used but you aim to get the bay segments as tight as possible .
If the sill didn't fit I wouldn't fit the frames without and try and fit at a later date makes for a shoddy job
These users thanked the author Thewindowguy for the post:
teams
teams

Post by teams »

Hi BillyGoat,

Billy there is a contract and we've sent them a Consumer Rights Act letter. They've sent back a 5 sentence letter, saying it's within there standards. It's a Bay Window, from left to right, one large window, then you have two small windows, side by side, thats the bay. This is for one bedroom window.

I'll post the other pics later today.
BillyGoat wrote:
teams wrote:Thanks for responding Billy, it's one of the big four, they are members of a federation. I'm just cautious in naming them as this is a live issue. The double glazing was sold to my elderly parents, there's a story to that too.They have been fully paid for.

BG
Makes sense to keep it under your hat - although, it's certainly a bargaining chip later in the game.

Is there a contract or agreement? I'd certainly reject them, they have clearly been made incorrectly.

Have the other two been installed that way too? If not, then that goes to argue your case (not that you should need too) that they have been made differently/incorrectly!

Sure a bead or trim to finish it off, but a hole that big??? What did they even put inside it for heatloss, etc - shocking.

BG
teams

Post by teams »

The company are members of the GGF. Fensa, GGF all operate from the same office.

wine~o wrote:
flash22 wrote:time to get it inspected, send pics to fensa

FENSA won't give a toss..... Trading standards are far too busy and underfunded.. what other schemes are these *fitters* a member of ??
teams

Post by teams »

At the first attempt to install, the installer was going to install them without the 'Knock-on's as can be seen in the first post,
we pointed out that the new measured/manufacturred bay window is too small. He went out to contact his field manager, came back and said he can't get hold of him. Then he made a second attempt by adding 'Knock-on's' and removing the sills then moving the two small windows in. That's why they couldn't replace the old sills, it also give the poor finish, the cavities.
Thewindowguy wrote:If they are registered with FENSA then please call fensa. You should no way paid in full they can have a deposit but you hold the rest till happy, usually by a set time after completion. It looks like new windows the correct size is needed.
Nothing wrong with added small extra pieces called knock ons to the frame , this is usually done so the frame isn't lost behind plaster.
Thewindowguy

Post by Thewindowguy »

so we are talking about a 3 part bay?
Are the company saying there happy with the install?
If so say you're not and would like to see the installation manager.
Really by the sounds of it they need to start again
These users thanked the author Thewindowguy for the post:
teams
teams

Post by teams »

Window 1 - First attempt to install, with sills in place - with huge gap.
Window 2 - Second attempt to install, with sills removed - small windows moved in, gap reduced. original sills no longer fit, they took two of them away.
window 3 - Cavities between window and beading.
Window 4 - Trim covering too much of the frame.
Window 5 - shows the old bay window.
Attachments
Window 5.JPG
Window 5.JPG (20.77 KiB) Viewed 9786 times

Return to “Rogues Gallery”