My Shower

This is where you can post pictures of extremely poor workmanship, whether it is done by a dodgy tradesman or by an incompetent DIY'er. Instructions on how to post pictures can be found in here.

Moderator: Moderators

RickH
Newly registered Member

My Shower

Post by RickH »

We moved into this house 2 years ago and it looked great, relatively new built and the idea was that it wouldn't be a huge DIY project to get it up to scratch. However once you settle in you notice all the small, and large problems. We soon realised that the ensuite shower was leaking like a fountain down into the garage below. I tried resealing the edges a couple of times but it wasn't doing the trick as the shower tray was sinking too far away from the tiles when you step on it. When I got fed up and ripped it out I realised just how badly installed it was in the first place. There are no measures what so ever to waterproof it. The little legs do nothing to stop the 1700mm x 800mm try from sinking and bouncing. No tanking. The tray was not only not siliconed to the walls, but the cellophane wrapper was still stuck to the sides!! The list is endless. Needles to say the plasterboard was ruined, along with the floor and the plasterboard ceiling below.

I am going to redo it with a timber joist base topped with plywood and a good bed of mortar. I have got a good quality flexi strip for the edges and good quality silicone to finish. Since the plasterboard was rotten I removed the tiles by hand with minimal damage to replace later. Pics show where I'm up to (destruction complete.)

These users thanked the author RickH for the post:
DmitriKara
Rating: 7.14%
diggerdog36

Re: My Shower

Post by diggerdog36 »

Shocking. A tiny saving grace is that minimal damage was caused in the garage. Was there no warranty/guarantee on your house. My sisters has a 10 year guarantee on workmanship. She has used it too. The build quality is horrendous. Built by Keepmoat.
tcm

Post by tcm »

Looks like typical new build lipstick on a pig job.
It you really want to go belt and braces put a waterproof sealer on the plywood and a waterproof bonding agent in the cement.

Sent using Tapatalk
RickH
Newly registered Member

Post by RickH »

Thanks. I will be using the Aquaseal tanking kit on the area once the frame is finished. I figure that will do as I'm not planning on letting it leak again!
DmitriKara

Post by DmitriKara »

tcm wrote:Looks like typical new build lipstick on a pig job.
It you really want to go belt and braces put a waterproof sealer on the plywood and a waterproof bonding agent in the cement.

Sent using Tapatalk
x2 here.

Return to “Rogues Gallery”