Attic wood cut off during bathroom pipe install

This is where you can post pictures of extremely poor workmanship, whether it is done by a dodgy tradesman or by an incompetent DIY'er. Instructions on how to post pictures can be found in here.

Moderator: Moderators

shab974
Newly registered Member
Been thanked: 0

Post by shab974 »

Hello folks,
Just wondering if someone can point me in the right direction .
A bathroom fitter did this to the wood in the attic , should i be concerned ?
This is where the rafter sits ... will it alter/impact the structural aspect of the roof ?
Attachments
attic1.png
attic1.png (1020.86 KiB) Viewed 3484 times
arco_iris

Post by arco_iris »

:welcomeuhm:

Personally, though I am not a pro., I wouldn't think so. I stand to be corrected, as usual.

But if all that pipework was your bathroom fitter, he was a pretty shitty and messy plumber - I'm only keen DIY and I could do better than that with neat end feed throughout.

Not solder-ring and compression with a speedfit thrown in for good measure. Not only that, a chrome compression off a urinal, did he get his supplies from a car boot sale......

Diabolical.
Last edited by arco_iris on Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shab974
Newly registered Member

Post by shab974 »

Thanks for your feedback Arco !
indeed ive been going back and forth with the contractor and the quality of the plumbing. it was all done by the bathroom fitter. Lots of disappointement :/
Last edited by shab974 on Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
arco_iris

Post by arco_iris »

Well the only saving grace is that it's in the attic so you can't see it. Very poor quality workmanship - what was the bathroom like, dare we ask......
shab974
Newly registered Member

Post by shab974 »

arco_iris wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:00 pm Well the only saving grace is that it's in the attic so you can't see it. Very poor quality workmanship - what was the bathroom like, dare we ask......
its actually a wetroom and looks ok from far but not great up close ( dont have picture with me )
Basically the concealed shower valve got dirt gunk in it and wouldnt allow for hot water trought the shower valve. it was dismantled and cleaned ( i requested that ) then reassemble and put back and now is leaking .
All sort of troubleshooting this leak didnt help and we lost the small screw that holds the valve in the brass enclosure.
Black grout is missing 1 to 2 mm in places.
silicone work pretty poor.
Checker does not look too white anymore and more like grey :/
i consider this wetroom unfinished and im not willing for them to come back . Im going to have to find another tradesman to come in and will probably be an uphill battle for me .
ayjay

Post by ayjay »

It's not an ideal situation, but likely no great harm done.

I'd make sure that each cut end of the Pole Plate (for that is what it is) is screwed to the nearest ceiling rafter, and link the two parts back together with a piece of a restraint strap, (or similar).
These users thanked the author ayjay for the post:
shab974 (Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:05 pm)
Rating: 7.14%
One day it will all be firewood.
shab974
Newly registered Member

Post by shab974 »

ayjay wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:32 pm I'd make sure that each cut end of the Pole Plate (for that is what it is) is screwed to the nearest ceiling rafter, and link the two parts back together with a piece of a restraint strap
ayjay restrain strap one side only is enough facing myself from the picture point of view ? or one on each side ?
to attach the pole plate to the rafter , would it be ok if i use some 90 x 90 angle bracket ( heavy duty ) with some general wood screws ?

Return to “Rogues Gallery”