Just wondering.............

All your computer hardware and software questions in here please.

Moderator: Moderators

Someone-Else

Post by Someone-Else »

Had this before a few times. Plug memory stick into PC and it complains there is a problem with said stick and it must be scanned to fix errors before i can use it. Since there is no choice I have to let it scan the stick, the "insult" is it scans it and say "no errors were found" so I am just wondering why does it do that, and have you had the same "error" and it can be any stick at any time that it happens to. The sticks don't leave the house, and only go into one of the pc's here.
Above are my opinions Below is my signature.

Would you hit a nail with a shoe because you don't have a hammer? of course not, then why work on anything electrical without a means of testing Click Here to buy a "tester" just because it works, does NOT mean it is safe.

:mrgreen: If gloom had a voice, it would be me.

:idea1: Click Here for a video how to add/change pictures

Inept people use the QUOTE BUTTON instead of the QUICK REPLY section :-)
ayjay

Post by ayjay »

I keep wondering why the floor has to be so far down.
One day it will all be firewood.
jaeger

Post by jaeger »

Are you ejecting them properly or just pulling them out? (Yes I know most of us just pull them out but there is a proper procedure to ejecting storage media) https://www.online-tech-tips.com/compu ... removing/
stevei

Post by stevei »

I've got a few memory sticks that I use to back up important stuff. One of them, a 32gb Kingston data traveller, does that. I used to let it scan but gave up as it gave the same result you get. I just don't use it for important stuff anymore as they are so cheap and not worth the risk.
Someone-Else

Post by Someone-Else »

jaeger wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:39 pm Are you ejecting them properly or just pulling them out? (Yes I know most of us just pull them out but there is a proper procedure to ejecting storage media) https://www.online-tech-tips.com/compu ... removing/
I had heard of that before, but as it says, most of us don't do it,

Would you hit a nail with a shoe because you don't have a hammer? of course not, then why work on anything electrical without a means of testing Click Here to buy a "tester" just because it works, does NOT mean it is safe.

Someone-Else

Post by Someone-Else »

stevei wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:50 pm I've got a few memory sticks that I use to back up important stuff. One of them, a 32gb Kingston data traveller, does that. I used to let it scan but gave up as it gave the same result you get. I just don't use it for important stuff anymore as they are so cheap and not worth the risk.
I am happy it is not just me.

Someone-Else

Post by Someone-Else »

Maybe its because I don't eject them? but why not all the time.

Dave54

Post by Dave54 »

Perhaps it's because the memory stick is being written to when you pull it out. Don't ask me what or why, but Windows always seems to be paging any memory that's connected.
If you tell it to eject, then it doesn't do that any more. So it's safe to eject.
FWIW, I normally do eject the drive first, but only the other day, I forgot and pulled a micro CF card without doing so. It wouldn't read after until it had been formatted again.
Weird cheap card that came with some other gear anyway, but it can happen.
jaeger

Post by jaeger »

someone-else wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:47 am Maybe its because I don't eject them? but why not all the time.
Like Catholic sex, works sometimes
windmill john
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by windmill john »

It is only on Macs that you should eject the correct way and right click, eject. Not doing this can perform a bad write and damage the drive, or mean you need to format it at least.

You can just pull it out of a Windows PC, as long as you are not writing to the pen drive at the time.

Not sure about Linux. Mac is Unix based, so I'd probably follow the Mac principle.

John
Someone-Else

Post by Someone-Else »

windmill john wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:18 amYou can just pull it out of a Windows PC, as long as you are not writing to the pen drive at the time.
:scratch: If what you say is true, why does my memory stick (not only mine) do what you say it should't?

As for pulling one out of a mac (yep, got one of those too) it only ever complains that I never ejected it, it never scans it when I plug it in. (like the PC does)

windmill john
Newly registered Member

Post by windmill john »

I just recall reading it. Never have known why they throw up error messages, usually ignore them. Obviously if data is important, I make a copy is elsewhere.

I work in IT support, it’s just one of those things I read about. Apparently it’s just the way Mac and Windows write. As long as you are not using the stick at that moment, okay to pull out of Windows, should eject from Mac. There was a lot of technical blurb about it, but my mind is already full of useless stuff!
seppo66
Newly registered Member

Post by seppo66 »

someone-else wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:09 am Had this before a few times. Plug memory stick into PC and it complains there is a problem with said stick and it must be scanned to fix errors before i can use it. Since there is no choice I have to let it scan the stick, the "insult" is it scans it and say "no errors were found" so I am just wondering why does it do that, and have you had the same "error" and it can be any stick at any time that it happens to. The sticks don't leave the house, and only go into one of the pc's here.
Hi SE,
Just thought I'd reply to you as you just responded to my first ever post on the forum. :-)
Memory sticks are not a good backup solution at all. They have a limited number of write operations and when they are used up they begin failing rapidly and as a number of people have pointed out, they need to be 'ejected' to make sure all data is properly written before being unplugged. In addition, 'fake' memory cards are everywhere which falsely state their storage capacity. Your computer will try to write to non-existent space and fail causing corruption. They can also just fail. If you want secure backup, go for cloud storage. It's accessible from all your devices, employs safe technology you'd struggle to match at home, it's offsite and is stored in multiple places. If you really must store stuff at home, have at look at RAID (duplicated data technology). You can get a modest RAID storage device for around £300 and they come with a number of apps which make life easier.
burnsco
Newly registered Member

Post by burnsco »

Hi SE

If you on Windows 10 its not necessary anymore from Windows 10, version 1809 has write-caching turned off by default This ensures your PC and the flash drive aren’t still ‘talking’ so-to-speak when the user cuts off the conversation by yanking out the drive. You can check out Microsoft’s complete article on the matter here:" Microsoft's Change in Removal of External Media Policy I use USB sticks a lot and have never really had issues, SD cards are a different matter, I take a lot of photos for my and have lost 100s over the years with faulty cards.

Return to “Computers”