New pc.............

All your computer hardware and software questions in here please.

Moderator: Moderators

Someone-Else

Re: New pc.............

Post by Someone-Else »

I still can't mount the SSD :cb There was nothing in the bag apart from cable ties and lots of small screws and some "funny" sponge washer / spacers.

I have given up for today, other things still to be done.

But the good news is it has an SSD with windows XP working on it, and it has sound (had to install the driver separately) It cant connect to the www (But it never will in its "normal job") I did activate win XP on the phone and they said to keep the code as it will work again.

The down side is the programme I built the PC for will not work, it has a dll missing, and even though I pasted one in there, it still says its missing :dunno:

I have lots of boxes to shift now. (Which is what I was supposed to be doing)
Above are my opinions Below is my signature.

Would you hit a nail with a shoe because you don't have a hammer? of course not, then why work on anything electrical without a means of testing Click Here to buy a "tester" just because it works, does NOT mean it is safe.

:mrgreen: If gloom had a voice, it would be me.

:idea1: Click Here for a video how to add/change pictures

Inept people use the QUOTE BUTTON instead of the QUICK REPLY section :-)
Someone-Else

Post by Someone-Else »

:thumbright: :thumbleft: All is working. I did say I would post a picture.........
cm1.jpg
cm1.jpg (336.61 KiB) Viewed 3114 times
This was the main ATX power cable after I had to extend it.

In summary I wanted a desktop P.C. with a solid state hard drive that runs windows XP.
It had to be XP as the programme I have runs on XP or 98 and sadly the writer of the programme (Friend of mine) passed away 2 years ago, as I know that a rotating HD will fail at some point I wanted to keep the software working for years to come, hence the SSD

Several places I asked / looked at said it can't be done / needs an emulator.

Well it can, its quite easy (I even used an old copy of XP that I re-registered) but it does take time, I am now very happy that I should be able to run the programme for many years yet to come.

(The programme is a "sophisticated timer")

Would you hit a nail with a shoe because you don't have a hammer? of course not, then why work on anything electrical without a means of testing Click Here to buy a "tester" just because it works, does NOT mean it is safe.

Bob225

Post by Bob225 »

your ssd will mount to the back of the motherboard tray with 4 screws
Someone-Else

Post by Someone-Else »

Bob225 wrote:your ssd will mount to the back of the motherboard tray with 4 screws

It might well supposed to do that, but it won't.

I watched a video of Carry Holzman installing one, the one he had slid straight in and stayed there, I slid the one I have in, and it fell down. Either the bays are too wide or the "tray" I have is too small.

I have also seen them mounted "on the wall" of the case, my "holder" does not have screw holes for this method.

Someone-Else

Post by Someone-Else »

t.jpg
t.jpg (165.16 KiB) Viewed 3016 times
It has taken a while for it to arrive (From China) but my metal SSD caddy has arrived, sadly, try that I might I can't get it to fit, it will go where it's supposed to, but I can't put any screws in to support it as the power supply is in the way :sad: (It came pre installed) I can't fit it to the back as the SSD caddy only has holes in the back (to hold the SSD) and holes in the side (to go into a 3 1/2 inch bay)
Back to the zip clips it is. :-) Onto the next job of the day.

Bob225

Post by Bob225 »

it should mount to the tray no issue hold it in place insert screw through hole and repeat as required,

what case model is it ?

you have the orange plastic ssd frame, tuck one side of the ssd in it bent the other side of the frame and clip it on that slides into the 3.5 bay
Someone-Else

Post by Someone-Else »

The SSD mounts to the tray no problem, its mounting the tray that is the problem. Don't worry about it (But thanks) Once mounted the only access I have is to the sides of the tray, but I can's as the power supply is in the way one side and the front cover on the other. (Yes, I know the front cover pulls off, still can't get to the other side)

Return to “Computers”