Long gone are monitors

All your computer hardware and software questions in here please.

Moderator: Moderators

Someone-Else

Long gone are monitors

Post by Someone-Else »

When I had my first Desktop PC it had a monitor, all you could plug into it was a VGA cable. That was the same for many many years, then came along the advent of the cheap TV, not only was it a TV but it had other sockets and things too (Built in DVD player) VGA socket, big socket for a future expansion (Still never seen what goes into it) and more recently HDMI socket, oh and Freeview.

My OH got a new desktop PC, a gaming one (Not that she plays games, but it is better than my PC) I plugged it into the monitor via the VGA cable and the PC boots but nothing on the screen, so I plugged in my TV via the HDMI cable, it now has a display, but not 100% as no matter what setting I adjust the screen does not fit the TV either too big icons too small, her new (20 inch) TV arrived today, plugged it in, perfect, and I mean perfect.

Obviously it has to be one of the settings, that was not compatible, but wondering where (no, just wondering) since the pc has not been changed (Its brand new) and neither has my TV but the new TV "knew nothing" and when plugged in they work perfectly together.

As I said, just wondering why a new TV worked and the old TV didn't.
Above are my opinions Below is my signature.

Would you hit a nail with a shoe because you don't have a hammer? of course not, then why work on anything electrical without a means of testing Click Here to buy a "tester" just because it works, does NOT mean it is safe.

:mrgreen: If gloom had a voice, it would be me.

:idea1: Click Here for a video how to add/change pictures

Inept people use the QUOTE BUTTON instead of the QUICK REPLY section :-)
Bob225

Long gone are monitors

Post by Bob225 »

Its resolution the older tv will only run 1366x768, a new pc will default to 1920x1080

as for the large tv, it due to windows 10's scale and layout - right click on the desktop - display settings
Someone-Else

Long gone are monitors

Post by Someone-Else »

oh, because it is older it can not "cope"
Thanks for that.
Above are my opinions Below is my signature.

Would you hit a nail with a shoe because you don't have a hammer? of course not, then why work on anything electrical without a means of testing Click Here to buy a "tester" just because it works, does NOT mean it is safe.

:mrgreen: If gloom had a voice, it would be me.

:idea1: Click Here for a video how to add/change pictures

Inept people use the QUOTE BUTTON instead of the QUICK REPLY section :-)

Return to “Computers”