New desktop PC, just saying

All your computer hardware and software questions in here please.

Moderator: Moderators

Someone-Else

Post by Someone-Else »

Got a new desktop today, I just wanted to say how easy it was to set up, no not the cables etc, but everything else.

It has wimdows10, so the PC knows mostly what to do, but I am really meaning about setting up email and browser (history, sites (UHM) passwords etc) I can remember having to spend hours in the days of Outlook express (and more recently) typing in all the info (several email accounts) then you had to hope the emails really are still on the server, and the sheet of paper with all the favourite website details (UHM)

I use mozilla products, which means I can "sync" info, from old PC to new PC, and in the email client, copy a folder, paste it on the new PC and not only do the email choices appear, but the whole emails, all contacts, all passwords, really happy.

The new PC has a slightly smaller footprint too, so more space to store cr*p on the shelf :lol:
Above are my opinions Below is my signature.

Would you hit a nail with a shoe because you don't have a hammer? of course not, then why work on anything electrical without a means of testing Click Here to buy a "tester" just because it works, does NOT mean it is safe.

:mrgreen: If gloom had a voice, it would be me.

:idea1: Click Here for a video how to add/change pictures

Inept people use the QUOTE BUTTON instead of the QUICK REPLY section :-)
Dave54

Post by Dave54 »

Yes, it's all got a lot easier than it was 25 years ago when I started messing about with them.
I was wondering the other day how long before PCs will just be a box like most other electronics, with "no user repairable parts"
camallison

Post by camallison »

Dave54 wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:29 pm Yes, it's all got a lot easier than it was 25 years ago when I started messing about with them.
I was wondering the other day how long before PCs will just be a box like most other electronics, with "no user repairable parts"
Not PCs, but Android tablets are just that, sealed computers and light to carry. If I need a bigger screen for a task, I 'cast' the display to my 42in tv. I can even pair a bluetooth keyboard with it if the task is character intensive. Printing is direct to my wifi-enabled printer too. I gave up with Windows not long after the switch to Windows 10 freebie commenced. Having been in IT since 1971, the decision to move wasn't a light one, but so many tools are built in to enable things like your move being eased with Mozilla products.

Anyway, congratulations on your painless move to a new PC, S-E.

Colin

Return to “Computers”