WiFi connection issues

All your computer hardware and software questions in here please.

Moderator: Moderators

Daz2410
Newly registered Member

WiFi connection issues

Post by Daz2410 »

Hi,
I’m looking for advice on my home WiFi, I need to install our Ring cameras but I’m struggling to connect them to our WiFi.
We have WiFi in our house and WiFi in an outbuilding both on the same network but both have separate identification etc. When i try connecting the cameras to the outbuilding (using the outbuilding WiFi) it’s not recognised in the Ring app as everything else (door bell and alarm etc is all set to the house WiFi).
I really need to get these working and I’m out of ideas, if anyone can help I would be SOOOO grateful.

Hopefully I’ve explained this well enough 🙏🏻🙏🏻

Cheers,
Darren
dewaltdisney

WiFi connection issues

Post by dewaltdisney »

No idea about your problem but have you tried range extenders? These use the home power wiring with an ethernet connection at either end, it really improves range. Search TP links. I don't know if they will help?

DWD
kellys_eye

WiFi connection issues

Post by kellys_eye »

Clearly the Ring App only accepts one network address. I doubt there's a way around this other than DWD's suggestion of a wifi extender of the house system (which would do away with the need for the outbuilding wifi system).
Don't take it personally......
Bob225

WiFi connection issues

Post by Bob225 »

What do you have in the out building, an access point, old router, or range extender, is N or AC (2.4 or 5 ghz)

What is make/model is your main router ?

How many devices are on the network pc/mac, phones, tablets and other devices, network printers ?

What bandwidth do you have, adsl 2+ or fibre, Bt or cable ?

How is the out building fed, wired or wifi ?

Have you done an analysis of the wifi and channel allocation in your immediate area ?
Daz2410
Newly registered Member

WiFi connection issues

Post by Daz2410 »

DWD, does it matter how far away the outbuilding is? Ours is about 200’ away.
Daz2410
Newly registered Member

WiFi connection issues

Post by Daz2410 »

Bob225,
The outbuilding has a wired connection, I’m not sure on the make and model of the WiFi out there.
The house WiFi is using a Sky router/WiFi using BT.
We have 3 pc’s, a couple of tablets and phones connected (not all at the same time).
I’ll try to get answers to the other questions shortly 👍🏻
dewaltdisney

WiFi connection issues

Post by dewaltdisney »

No, as long as you have power from the house feeding the outbuilding. You buy a pair of TP links and they simply plug into a three pin socket with an ethernet cable connecting to the router. At the outbuilding another TP-link is plugged in and another ethernet cable connects to whatever you want in the outbuilding and the connection is a s good as being next to the router. See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCD_K1_rtsk to give you an idea

DWD
arco_iris

WiFi connection issues

Post by arco_iris »

dewaltdisney wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:34 pm No, as long as you have power from the house feeding the outbuilding. You buy a pair of TP links and they simply plug into a three pin socket with an ethernet cable connecting to the router. At the outbuilding another TP-link is plugged in and another ethernet cable connects to whatever you want in the outbuilding and the connection is a s good as being next to the router. See <span class="skimlinks-unlinked">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCD_K1_rtsk</span> to give you an idea

DWD
I haven't watched your youtube link, Walter, but TP Link extenders do not work for me in this situation. I asked about this on here a year or three ago.

I have two outbuildings each with their own 60A main switch off the incoming supply (the meter) so you'd think they'd be parallelled, but Home Plugs don't work. I can get wifi in one building if I put a homeplug in an extension lead trailed across from the house, so it's not a distance issue, the other I haven't tried as I don't have a lead long enough.

But I'm just about to try some "RangeXTD" plugs, they haven't arrived yet.
Daz2410
Newly registered Member

WiFi connection issues

Post by Daz2410 »

Getting a connection to the outbuilding isn’t an issue, it has a hardwired Ethernet connection.
It’s more a problem with WiFi ID.
I’ve just been looking at fitting some access points but don’t know if they’re any good 🤔🤔
arco_iris

WiFi connection issues

Post by arco_iris »

I'm not thoroughly knowledgeable here, but I thought you could get wifi addresses to clone? You certainly do that with TP Link Home Plugs.

Most routers (old s/h off fleabay e.g.) can be configured to be APs instead, but that's where it goes over my head.

Previous reply was responding to Walt's comment, not your issue, as such.
keithu
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0

WiFi connection issues

Post by keithu »

Daz2410 wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:51 pm Getting a connection to the outbuilding isn’t an issue, it has a hardwired Ethernet connection.
It’s more a problem with WiFi ID.
I’ve just been looking at fitting some access points but don’t know if they’re any good 🤔🤔
So you have a router/access-point in your outbuilding connected with an ethernet cable to the router in your house? There's no reason it shouldn't work, as far as I can see.

What is the device in your outbuilding and exactly how is it connected?
dewaltdisney

WiFi connection issues

Post by dewaltdisney »

@Arco, I don't have a clue about all this anyway :lol:

DWD
Bob225

WiFi connection issues

Post by Bob225 »

Depending on what you have in the out building - depends on the config you can use the same SSID with the same passphrase you just need to put it on another channel your device will automically switch seamlessly

dhcp setup depends on the device in the out building
Someone-Else

WiFi connection issues

Post by Someone-Else »

Just a thought. Could you not set up a new account with ring just for the outbuilding's camera?
Or buy an IP camera and connect that your network?
Above are my opinions Below is my signature.

Would you hit a nail with a shoe because you don't have a hammer? of course not, then why work on anything electrical without a means of testing Click Here to buy a "tester" just because it works, does NOT mean it is safe.

:mrgreen: If gloom had a voice, it would be me.

:idea1: Click Here for a video how to add/change pictures

Inept people use the QUOTE BUTTON instead of the QUICK REPLY section :-)

Return to “Computers”