Random contact on gmail hangouts

All your computer hardware and software questions in here please.

Moderator: Moderators

Chemfree

Post by Chemfree »

I`ve never had a (supposed) stranger contact me through gmail hangouts in all the years I`ve run it.
Can I run into any danger replying to them. I`m curious, it`s possible I gave my details to some young lady on a dating site :)
A potential scammer can`t get any further...if I ask who it is, then if not satisfied with their reply, delete them?
Am I correct?
kellys_eye

Post by kellys_eye »

Danger? Yes.

In my experience women are a distinct danger to your wealth and, less commonly but still problematic, your mental well being.
These users thanked the author kellys_eye for the post:
Chemfree (Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:17 am)
Rating: 7.14%
Don't take it personally......
Chemfree

Post by Chemfree »

Haha, I like it, can`t disagree in some cases. Had my fair share of psychos.
I`ve now been removed from a second dating site. Not posted anything rude or hateful, everything appeared in order, but another objectionable character with a sense of humour bypass, must`ve been in touch with the mod-bots and that was that. If I could be Rsed, I could start another profile and get the culprit banned too.
Last week I was told once more, by a second female site member that I looked like Harold Shipman. I suggested she look up the word iatrogenesis, which suggests there may be more HS`s about. I missed the opportunity to ask how she got a mobile smuggled into HM Prison New Hall :)
dewaltdisney

Post by dewaltdisney »

The dating hook up scene sounds awful, back in my day you met a girl you fancied at a dance you could suss them out, and they you, in the three minutes of a close dance or a short chat and you could tell fairly quickly if you thought it could go somewhere. Christ even then there were swivel eyed loonies, overly pushy, or weird types you did a quick exit from. I met Mrs D at a dance, memorised her number and called the next day for a date. Nearly 50 years on and here we are, just one dance.....

DWD
kellys_eye

Post by kellys_eye »

Times change I suppose....

I met my current wife via an internet chatroom (she was the host) but I met my ex at college decades beforehand. I can't say I was 'uninformed' of either one at the time, certainly not to the extent that they might have been closet psycho's !!! but I couldn't separate the two scenarios for meeting someone - it happened - it just happened at different times and in different times.

It's now 20+ years since I was in the 'meeting' game and I suspect you'd probably go to Amazon for one now....... at least they have a good returns policy.
Don't take it personally......
Chemfree

Post by Chemfree »

That`s good going DWD, congrats.
Local radio this morning had an ad for dance venue. All Rona-safe they stated, and finished with, "and when you`re in your box, you can both take your masks off" !!

I think you`re right KE, someone suggested ebay. I have a cunning plan though, after recently side-stepping a few friendly but dodgy characters in the wild(I`m learning)...I will go retro and put an ad in the paper...got me a nice mate for 9yrs previously.
Challenger007
BANNED
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Challenger007 »

Chemfree wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:00 pm I`ve never had a (supposed) stranger contact me through gmail hangouts in all the years I`ve run it.
Can I run into any danger replying to them. I`m curious, it`s possible I gave my details to some young lady on a dating site :)
A potential scammer can`t get any further...if I ask who it is, then if not satisfied with their reply, delete them?
Am I correct?
In itself, this seems to be not scary. It depends on what kind of data you gave. If it's just your first name, last name, email or phone number, that's okay. Here is the address I would not divulge to strangers. There are a lot of scammers on the Internet who use innocent questions to find out your personal data and then arrange brainwashing. Of course, not everyone succumbs to such stories, but there are people whom scammers bring to a nervous breakdown. In general, I would be more careful on unfamiliar resources. Of course, getting to know a woman you want her to like, exchange information and decide whether to continue to communicate. But such positive goals are used by unscrupulous people.

Return to “Computers”