Having Windows 10 reinstalled

All your computer hardware and software questions in here please.

Moderator: Moderators

Dimwit
Newly registered Member

Post by Dimwit »

:dunno: I have a HP laptop which is about three years old it got stuck in the automatic repair loop I took it to a computer repair shop. They have told me the operating system Windows 10 is corrupt probably from an update or something and needs to be reinstalled. When I asked if this will be done using the recovery partition of the harddrive they said no as that will be corrupt as well and it will be new install.
What is the point of a recovery partition if it can be corrupted. Back in the day you were given a Window disc with your computer so you could reinstall yourself.
Once I have the laptop back is there something I can do just in case this happens again, like make a Windows disc myself to reinstall from?
aeromech3

Post by aeromech3 »

Guess you also went back to an earlier version of W10. You can 'create a recovery drive' with an empty 16GB USB stick, you can google for this; basically right click the start icon and type in recovery drive in the search field
Rick1963
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0

Post by Rick1963 »

The recovery partition will not be damaged as it’s not the active partition, the recovery partition will reinstall windows and it will be as it was when you first took it out of the box.
The only reason it won’t boot to the recovery partition is if the drive has failed, when you power it on press F2 and check to see if there are onboard diags installed and if so run the hdd check.
You also maybe able to order a replacement install disk from HP. Search for “ ordering replacement win 10 install disc from hp” You will need to supply the serial number of the laptop and may only need to pay p&p.
These users thanked the author Rick1963 for the post:
aeromech3 (Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:26 pm)
Rating: 7.14%
Dimwit
Newly registered Member

Post by Dimwit »

Thanks for the replies.
The computer shop has told me the harddrive is ok just Windows that is at fault.
When I pick the repaired laptop up I will ask if they did use the recovery partition or not, and if not why.
Someone-Else

Post by Someone-Else »

Dimwit wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:25 pmWhen I pick the repaired laptop up I will ask if they did use the recovery partition or not, and if not why.
Good luck with that one.

They will no doubt tell you that, that was faulty too.

I know it's easier said than done, but may I suggest you learn more about computers, that way when it does it again, you can do it.
Its not an "instant" thing to learn, and it can at (most) times be very frustrating, but it can save lots of dosh
Above are my opinions Below is my signature.

Would you hit a nail with a shoe because you don't have a hammer? of course not, then why work on anything electrical without a means of testing Click Here to buy a "tester" just because it works, does NOT mean it is safe.

:mrgreen: If gloom had a voice, it would be me.

:idea1: Click Here for a video how to add/change pictures

Inept people use the QUOTE BUTTON instead of the QUICK REPLY section :-)
Dimwit
Newly registered Member

Post by Dimwit »

I now have the repaired laptop back from the shop.
They told me it is a fresh install of windows 10 as the recovery partition was damaged as well. When I mentioned about the recovery partition not being active the answer was it can become damaged as window updates do have access to it.
Thanks Someone-Else I have a basic understanding of computers but I agree I should learn more, but I'm afraid it is like most things in my life I struggle with time. In the past I have tinkered with computers but mainly with towers and nothing past XP when like I said you got a windows disc so installs weren't a problem. I really would have loved to have fixed this problem myself not only to save on cash but I love the self achievement feeling. But the main factor was time I really need the use of the laptop and didn't expect the shop to take a week to repair it.
I will certainly look at ways to avoid this situation happening again.
Argyll

Post by Argyll »

I bought a new laptop just after lockdown. It came entirely blank with no OS. I googled and downloaded the activation thingy on a USB from my desktop. I then bought a windows 10 key from ebay for about £5. I had it set up within a couple of hours. The computer shop wanted around £100.

There are loads of tutorials on youtube that there's no reason to go anywhere near a PC shop.

And before anyone asks...since Gates is the second richest man on the planet I sleep like a baby :thumbright:

Return to “Computers”