Is 50mb broadband enough

All your computer hardware and software questions in here please.

Moderator: Moderators

DCOL89
Newly registered Member
Been thanked: 0

Is 50mb broadband enough

Post by DCOL89 »

Hello,

Looking for help. I currently have 100mb broadband at home but the price has shot up so looking elsewhere and looking at dropping to 50mb fibre nd was just wondering if that will be enough speed. We have two children who use their kindles, we stream netflix/prime and can all be on it at one time. Also connected to the internet are two WiFi security cameras, amazon alexa and hive.

Thank you in advance.
gas4you

Is 50mb broadband enough

Post by gas4you »

My speed averages around 50mb and I stream amazon and sky and have several things connected at once.

Never had a problem so far.
Dave

www.drlgas.co.uk
Dave54

Is 50mb broadband enough

Post by Dave54 »

^ Similar, have 50mb, can be streaming Netflix, and surfing / running a YouTube video on two tablets at the same time.
Never had a problem. Netflix say 3Mb for standard definition, and 5Mb for HD.
etaf

Is 50mb broadband enough

Post by etaf »

i have 36mb and can stream video from netfix and amazon on separate devices, often have the Radio streaming as well and other device attached, but this is the exception, usually only 2 people here , so used for general browsing, radio streaming, etc
Simple DIYer
Wayne
OchAye

Is 50mb broadband enough

Post by OchAye »

There are two further issues to consider. If you are on copper wire i.e. openreach network, if the claim is 50Mbps you will get less than that, plenty of speed checkers on-line that will give you the average for your area. If you are consider optical cable to the house which sounds like what you had (Virgin) then the above does not apply, in theory anyway.

Under either connection the crunch is the throughput your provider can give you especially at busy times of the day. Some providers have a much better reputation than others, and some may purposefully throttle your connection.

All I am getting at is, there is a bit more to it than the "claimed" speed.
Crazy L
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0

Is 50mb broadband enough

Post by Crazy L »

For a comparison, I was on virgins 50meg connection just over a year ago, but the price at nearly £40 was silly. I'm now on a £25 a month plusnet thing, rated at 30 something meg. No difference, except the wifi is a bit better with plusnet. I can watch youtube, wife can too, but elsewhere, and the boy can play blooming fortnite. Or I can youtube, while wife is netflixxing.

With that, I've had no problems.
[Ken]
Newly registered Member

Is 50mb broadband enough

Post by [Ken] »

Crazy L wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:35 pm For a comparison, I was on virgins 50meg connection just over a year ago, but the price at nearly £40 was silly. I'm now on a £25 a month plusnet thing, rated at 30 something meg.
If you'd spoken to the Virgin Media retentions team you would probably have got a better deal, I was offered a 100 mbs connection for £24 p/m or 200 mbs for £27 per month, I went for the 200 mbs connection.

I'm afraid VM are the same as many large companies, when your contract ends and the price goes up you need to tell them you're leaving and many companies will offer you a better deal to stay, you do need to be prepared to leave though :wink:
Crazy L
Newly registered Member

Is 50mb broadband enough

Post by Crazy L »

I have spent many an hour on the phone to Virgin, in the wake of a lot of other problems I had with them and their complete lack of ability to sort them, over years I might add, years.

Return to “Computers”