hello, I'm new to all this!

A very warm welcome to the new members of the ultimatehandyman forum, you can say hello in here and tell everyone what you do and where you are from.

Moderator: Moderators

novice-woman
Newly registered Member

Post by novice-woman »

Hello Everyone,

it's too damp today to do what I was planning to do, so I was doing a bit of indoor organisation and learning about kit. Stumbled across the very excellent ultimate handyman video "how to use a silicone or caulk gun" on youtube, and decide to register here.

I am a complete DIY novice, and have an old house in need of lots of TLC. I like a challenge... so far the most challenging thing for me has been getting the containers open: I don't have much hand strength. Maybe that will change, or perhaps I'll learn the technique!

My main project at the moment is protecting some rotted wooden window frames (I know it's not the right time of year to be doing this, but we are where we are!)

Many thanks for putting this site together - the one video I've watched has already saved me much time and puzzlement!

gratefully,

NW
These users thanked the author novice-woman for the post (total 2):
moderator7 (Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:07 pm) • arthurc1984 (Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:36 pm)
Rating: 14.29%
moderator7
UHM Super Moderator

Post by moderator7 »

Hello novice-woman. :welcomeuhm:
I was just going to move this for you and it had disappeared!
Thanks for putting it in the right place. :thumbright:
These users thanked the author moderator7 for the post (total 2):
novice-woman (Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:35 pm) • donavichi (Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:57 am)
Rating: 14.29%
novice-woman
Newly registered Member

Post by novice-woman »

thanks moderator7 - very important to be tidy in all things DIY... along with hand-strength, another one of my achilles' heels!
dewaltdisney

Post by dewaltdisney »

Welcome. Leverage and grip are your friends for opening things. A little tip on stuck screw tops is to get a belt pull it right down to a loop and place that over the cap. Holding the long tail wrap it around your hand to give maximum grip and then turn the top off. Buy a four pack of these off eBay https://www.wilsonspaints.co.uk/product ... in-opener/ They are uesful lever to have to hand rather than messing up a screwdriver.

On your window job, it is best to wait for it to be dry and you can help it along with a hot air paint stripper gun.

Good luck

DWD
These users thanked the author dewaltdisney for the post (total 3):
novice-woman (Sun Nov 08, 2020 2:27 pm) • arthurc1984 (Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:36 pm) • donavichi (Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:57 am)
Rating: 21.43%
novice-woman
Newly registered Member

Post by novice-woman »

ah - many thanks for those tips DWD!

Followup questions:

- why a fourpack? are there different shapes and sizes? are they apt to wear out?

- the hot air paint-stripper gun: presumably i would need to keep some distance so as not to strip the paint I am drying? How useful is this generally? Should I plan to strip the paint on walls, architraves etc before I repaint them?

I am really enjoying this new universe of possibilities, thanks for sharing your expertise,

NW
dewaltdisney

Post by dewaltdisney »

Firstly, I suggest the four pack as guaranteed you will lose them :lol:

In my mind I was imagining the window frame issue to be outside? You can back off a little to keep the heat drying but not melt the paint.

On internal work the preparation is directly proportional to its present condition. You apply the least amount of effort to make it good for refinishing, not all wood needs to be stripped back.

Have a read of this viewtopic.php?t=14693&start= a photo always helps.

DWD
novice-woman
Newly registered Member

Post by novice-woman »

yes, the window frames are outside as you imagined. The house is not without its problems, but no rotten wood indoors thankfully! I was just trying to work out whether the hot air paint stripper would be a sensible investment at this stage. Obvs most of what I will be able to do is indoors in the next few months.

Right, got it! Pragmatic approach to prep, hurrah!
Gadget
Jack Of All Trades

Post by Gadget »

Hello and.. :welcomeuhm: :hello2:
By eck! ©
adonis

Post by adonis »

:welcomeuhm: Just a tip, if you use a hot air gun be extra careful of the glass this time of year as a bit of heat on cold glass may crack it.
These users thanked the author adonis for the post:
novice-woman (Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:49 pm)
Rating: 7.14%

Return to “WELCOME”