Years ago when I wasn't such a handy handyman...

Diy disaster stories in this forum please, Tradesmen disaster stories are also welcome in here!

Moderator: Moderators

Paulsad
Newly registered Member

Years ago when I wasn't such a handy handyman...

Post by Paulsad »

Wifey (bless her!) wanted a nice new bathroom suite - me on a cost saving mission decided some nice shiny new mixer taps would brighten up our existing bath and basin and save me hard earned beer money. Saturday dawned and her off shopping I started the job as a surprise for her return... I hadn't bargained for the 20+ year old retaining nuts on the taps (in a very inaccessible place - as they usually are) being welded on. After scraping most of the skin from my knuckles I jumped in the car and made a 10 mile round trip to the market to buy a adjustable wrench, got it in place - swung on the b*stard with all my might and... split the frigging bath straight down the middle. Wife returned to just two pipes (still with taps attached) stuck out of the bathroom floor and the bath in the garden. I also then had to get a plumber in to sort out my heating as when I drained the water tank I caused a blockage in the system.
Job and Knock
Old School Chippie

Re: Years ago when I wasn't such a handy handyman...

Post by Job and Knock »

As they say, you couldn't make it up! :lol:
"The person who never made a mistake, never made anything" - Albert Einstein

"I too will something make, And joy in the making" - Robert Bridges, 1844~1930

"The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell from The Triumph of Stupidity", 1933
kellys_eye

Post by kellys_eye »

What was she moaning about - you had a bath each!
Don't take it personally......
Nadia T
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Nadia T »

Hilarious! Did she at least appreciate the sentiment?!
Megaross

Post by Megaross »

Fantastic.
wigley
Newly registered Member

Post by wigley »

Amazing! I probably would have given up as soon as i saw they were welded on!
bassett
Newly registered Member

Post by bassett »

Paulsad wrote:Wifey (bless her!) wanted a nice new bathroom suite - me on a cost saving mission decided some nice shiny new mixer taps would brighten up our existing bath and basin and save me hard earned beer money. Saturday dawned and her off shopping I started the job as a surprise for her return... I hadn't bargained for the 20+ year old retaining nuts on the taps (in a very inaccessible place - as they usually are) being welded on. After scraping most of the skin from my knuckles I jumped in the car and made a 10 mile round trip to the market to buy a adjustable wrench, got it in place - swung on the b*stard with all my might and... split the frigging bath straight down the middle. Wife returned to just two pipes (still with taps attached) stuck out of the bathroom floor and the bath in the garden. I also then had to get a plumber in to sort out my heating as when I drained the water tank I caused a blockage in the system.
Lol, it's all part of the game. Experience is the product of mistakes unfortunately.

Return to “DIY Disasters”