Drill chuck not adequately gripping drill bit ?

All tool questions and recommendations or complaints in this forum please

Moderator: Moderators

London mike 61

Post by London mike 61 »

One tip I would pass on is to put a smear of grease onto the end of the bit that goes into the chuck, this helps you to get the bit in and out of the chuck easier and helps lubricate the bit as it moves when drilling. If you don’t have grease to hand you can get by with a smear of Vaseline at a pinch.

Mike
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!!
London mike 61

Post by London mike 61 »

_Chris_ wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:10 am
London mike 61 wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:06 am Concrete is a LOT easier to drill into when you use a sds drill

https://www.screwfix.com/p/titan-ttb631 ... 240v/4172g

You have to buy drill bits that fit but once you’ve used one you won’t go back to a impact drill. I bought these https://www.screwfix.com/p/sds-plus-sha ... eces/8849v and they do all I want them to.

Mike
Thanks Mike, just wondering if it's worth trying to look for a battery version? Would they be 'man' enough for the job?
I’m definitely no expert but the cordless ones are just as good but a bit more expensive, it’s a question of budget.

Mike
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!!
ayjay

Post by ayjay »

SDS cordless drills are fine, the problem with any battery powered tool is that they need regular use/charging of the battery, although Li-ion batteries have resolved most of those problems and will survive longer than other types if left unused for long periods.

The single-flat drill bit in your pic is the sort of thing normally used as a pilot drill in a core bit, secured by a grub screw onto the flat, (although istr that they're usually 12mm).
One day it will all be firewood.
OchAye

Post by OchAye »

Back to your drill, before you buy another. Do you have a key for the chuck like this?
and do you use it to tighten the chuck?

Like Ayjay, I am confused about the visible one ??? flat surface of the drill bit.

PS. Also you say you want to drill a 16mm hole but you show a bit that says 10mm.
PPS. I had not seen the last comment by ayjay explaining the bit.
OchAye

Post by OchAye »

Here is a 16mm bit for your drill (well for battery drills but will do) https://www.toolstation.com/search?q=14995%20
Some more here https://www.screwfix.com/c/tools/drilli ... ns=masonry

Is the concrete on floor or above a window or similar? The latter may be a lot harder to drill.

Whether you can drill straight away with a 16mm bit or you need a pilot hole I have no idea. I would not buy a battery powered SDS unless you are going to be working on sites (and if you did you would not be asking these questions).
_Chris_

Post by _Chris_ »

OchAye wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:11 am Back to your drill, before you buy another. Do you have a key for the chuck like this?
and do you use it to tighten the chuck?

Like Ayjay, I am confused about the visible one ??? flat surface of the drill bit.

PS. Also you say you want to drill a 16mm hole but you show a bit that says 10mm.
PPS. I had not seen the last comment by ayjay explaining the bit.
Yes, that is the key for the drill I use.
The 10mm is the same type as the 16mm, I just had to drill 10mm first, then 16mm. Ignore the size, it's just the type that's related on this.
darrenba

Post by darrenba »

ayjay wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:14 am The single-flat drill bit in your pic is the sort of thing normally used as a pilot drill in a core bit, secured by a grub screw onto the flat, (although istr that they're usually 12mm).
There are 3 flats on that drill bit shank. It's just the way the photo is taken that's only showing 1

Return to “Tool Talk”