Cordless Vacum Cleaners , rant

All tool questions and recommendations or complaints in this forum please

Moderator: Moderators

Chippo1

Post by Chippo1 »

We have a Dyson and previously a Gtech , not my idea ! Neither would suck the skin of a rice pudding.

The Dyson was recent cost a packet, and in my mind is useless , I still defer to the Henry if I am tasked with hoovering.

The only way it remotely works is on max then the battery lasts 15 min at best.

My biggest bugbear is the charge time like 8 hours and the battery is integrated so u can’t just swap it , I believe the shark has removable batteries but we tried one of those and she didn’t like it and frankly the suck was worse than the Dyson.

Are these companies so far behind the power tool companies re batteries , or are they kidding us or the other half’s with some sort of marketing con?

I mean why don’t Dwalt or Makita make a nice domestic vac with carpet head so we can use our power tool batteries , of course it needs to be pretty to appeal to certain people !
These users thanked the author Chippo1 for the post:
Dave54 (Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:29 pm)
Rating: 7.14%
Rorschach

Post by Rorschach »

What are you using it for?

My sister has a Dyson and really rates it, but of course only for small jobs.
Dave54

Post by Dave54 »

We've wondered about the upright cordless ones. I'm always suspicious of anything that has a "boost" or whatever they call it.
Missus doesn't like the Dyson corded upright we have. She says it's too heavy. She preferred the old one, a DC 01. It was a lot lighter.
Still this has given food for thought.

We do have a little Vax hand held one, and that's excellent for small spills and so on.
oz0707

Post by oz0707 »

I've got the dyson v7 animal I think.
It's wicked. Like you say charge time is crap but in the old place I used to do upstairs one day, downstairs another. That includes brush ontop of skirting. You have to break a sweat and move around as you against the clock. I always use them on boost, hardly ever without. Hard floors can probably get away without. I do have a spare battery for mine that i've used before if i'm really needing to get it cleaned. It's 3 screws from memory, not really designed to be swapped as you say.
The cordless Dysons are really rated well, the corded ones I hate far too over engineered never know what i'm doing with one.
Henrys are also good for work I have one but don't have a rotating head for the carpet.
dewaltdisney

Post by dewaltdisney »

My old DC04 really has a powerful suction. I have replaced the brush bar a couple of times in the 19 years we have had it plus a drive belt that was a bit of a faff to do but it was worth doing. Upstairs, we have a Vax that we were given and it does a fair job but not as good as the Dyson. Quite frankly I do not see the need for cordless vacuums it is not that arduous winding up the cable and pushing it around.

DWD
Chippo1

Post by Chippo1 »

Off course they all have filters

Must be me then just find the performance poor , I fact not so long ago Mr Dyson was in adds saying it was the end for cordless , and now I see there adds for a new one.

When I vac I only use it on the rug in the lounge and the bedroom carpet, hmm i always do top of skirting and top of architraves picture frames ect

Yes Henry does a better job on our hard floors , having a car you can see his fur come to the vacum the Dyson needs to be on top of the hair

Then of course there is the wood burner , Henry is the one for that as well, then off course I some times venture in her hobby room and the Dyson doesn’t like pins or cottons.

I think if your really house proud and whizz it around twice a day it most likely works
Job and Knock
Old School Chippie

Post by Job and Knock »

Chippo1 wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:16 am Are these companies so far behind the power tool companies re batteries , or are they kidding us or the other half’s with some sort of marketing con?

I mean why don’t Dwalt or Makita make a nice domestic vac with carpet head so we can use our power tool batteries , of course it needs to be pretty to appeal to certain people !
I think that they are all against using anyone else's proprietary battery connection designs, so it;s the consumer who has to suffer.

TBH the only vacuum I've seen to date which could be considered a sort of domestic vacuum which uses power tool batteries is the Makita DCL500 and the improved model that replaced it, the DCL501:

Don't know what tools are available for it, though. Makita also make a dual battery backpack vacuum, the DVC260/DVC261 (XCB05 in USA, see below), which I have seen in use by industrial cleaners (offices, factories, etc):

For general tidy-up after some jobs I use another Makita cordless vacuum, the DVC750L, which is not dissimilar to the small portable DW unit, It's small but works acceptably well for small clean-ups and when attached to smaller dust producing tools:

Unlike the Henry it is cordless and (importantly for site work) it is class L rated (the Henry isn't, which means that it shouldn't be used on construction sites for wood dust, etc)

Makita also have a range of 25 litre class L "conventional" cordless vacuums, DVC861L to DVC864L. These models encompass ones which will run on 2 x 18 volt batteries or 110 volt power (DVC861L - there is a 230 volt version of this as well), 2 x 18 volt alone (DVC863L) or 2 x 18 volt with Bluetooth connection to some Makita cordless tools for auto start/auto stop (DVC864L). The only other firm I'm aware of who does this sort of tool at present is Starmix in Germany, who also make vacuums for Metabo, Spit and Mafell

"The person who never made a mistake, never made anything" - Albert Einstein

"I too will something make, And joy in the making" - Robert Bridges, 1844~1930

"The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell from The Triumph of Stupidity", 1933
oz0707

Post by oz0707 »

Thought most sites wanted m class? The few that I've been on did. I bought one of those mini tuff ones
Job and Knock
Old School Chippie

Post by Job and Knock »

Softwoods and plaster dust - L-class
Hardwoods, MDF and plywood - M-class

HEPA is almost the same filtration as M-class, although true M-class is supposed to check the pressure drop across the filter and either stop operation or shake-out the filter AFAIK
"The person who never made a mistake, never made anything" - Albert Einstein

"I too will something make, And joy in the making" - Robert Bridges, 1844~1930

"The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell from The Triumph of Stupidity", 1933

Return to “Tool Talk”