Circ saw blades

All tool questions and recommendations or complaints in this forum please

Moderator: Moderators

Chippo1

Circ saw blades

Post by Chippo1 »

I have a dewalt flip saw , use it for all sorts , the current blade is a Frued 60 tooth use it for all sorts , but now getting dull

What are the recommendations ?
Job and Knock
Old School Chippie

Circ saw blades

Post by Job and Knock »

60t is a bit on the high side for ripping, but fine for cross cutting softwoods or cutting-up plywood. If you want a goodish, relative cheap blade for cutting softwood take a look at the Saxton 250mm 60t - £17 - I'm currently using a Makita 260mm chop saw with the 260mm version of this blade and it's good on softwoods. TBH the other blades worth a look are Bosch Optiline, Freud and deWalt - all of them more expensive although there are sub-£30 bargains out there - and another budget brand, Dart. Not a fan of Makita blades TBH and I really would caution about going for most of the budget brands as many of them are carp
"The person who never made a mistake, never made anything" - Albert Einstein

"I too will something make, And joy in the making" - Robert Bridges, 1844~1930

"The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell from The Triumph of Stupidity", 1933
Chippo1

Circ saw blades

Post by Chippo1 »

Thanks , was looking at the Saxton blades, which really prompted my question
Chippo1

Circ saw blades

Post by Chippo1 »

Before Christmas ordered and fitted a Saxon blade, didn’t realise I had ordered an 80t x 10inch , had already used it before I realised , should take kore care ,

Any way it’s proved fine for my needs at the moment and gives a great finish to cuts.
big-all
Pro Carpenter

Circ saw blades

Post by big-all »

i have a 100 or 98 tooth blade i use in my dewalt 742 flip saw specifically to cut oak
with a slower feed rate it gives an almost polished finish to oak needing minimal sanding it will cut up to about 2 3/4" inch but sub 2" is preferably to stop heating and overloading up the motor
we are all ------------------still learning
etaf

Circ saw blades

Post by etaf »

I have change to use Freud , and have a few blades with different number of teeth 60T & 80T , i purchased a silverline blade and it lasted just a few cuts!!!!!!!!!!
The Freud cut a lot of Laminated flooring using the 60T, good finish

I Use on my Dewalt Mitre Saw and now also on a Dewalt Circular Saw 40T , used for some real wood shelfs, and brackets, worked really well
Simple DIYer
Wayne
sammy.se

Circ saw blades

Post by sammy.se »

have you considered sharpening your old Freud 60t blade, as a spare blade?
By all accounts, getting then sharpened can give you a sharper blade than new, and the teeth normally have plenty of life left in them.
Chippo1

Circ saw blades

Post by Chippo1 »

I haven’t thrown the old blade away it’s on a nail with 3 or 4 others , maybe a sharpen is possibility if there is some where locally, although I seem to recall seeing some DIY options on net.

Tungsten Carbide is a pain to grind as I recall
sammy.se

Circ saw blades

Post by sammy.se »

I am aware of Leitz in Essex - they have a postage service as well.
Job and Knock
Old School Chippie

Circ saw blades

Post by Job and Knock »

A quick Google for "Saw Doctors" in Cambridgeshire turned up a firm called Blademaster in Brandon. Another search site, Britaine, gave me quite a list when asked for "tool sharpening". Cyclex is another good place to find trade services/suppliers, I find. A quick phone call to any of these firms would confirm whether or not they can retip and regrind TCT sawblades (some of them will undoubtedly work with engineering tooling only and womn't be interested). Unfortunately wherever you search you won't find many web sites for saw doctors. In my experience the firms tend to be tiny (1 or 2 people), occupy out of the way premises and serve repeat trade customers (because if you run a workshop a trip to the saw doctors is at least a once a month occurrence and having found a good service you tend to stick with them for the rest of your time in business), so they often don't advertise. I found my own sharpening service by word of mouth, having tried and been unhappy with a couple of other firms first (mainly on turn-around times TBH), more than 20 years ago and I suspect that I'm not alone in that experience.
"The person who never made a mistake, never made anything" - Albert Einstein

"I too will something make, And joy in the making" - Robert Bridges, 1844~1930

"The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell from The Triumph of Stupidity", 1933
Chippo1

Circ saw blades

Post by Chippo1 »

Thanks J &K will contact the firm in Brandon as its not a million miles away , the three blades I have that are worth a sharpen have all their teeth in tact
dewaltdisney

Circ saw blades

Post by dewaltdisney »

As an aside I was looking at a blade sharpening grinder type machine for sharpening chainsaw chains.It was only £40 but the method was so tedious I decided that the twin pack new blades from Amazon at £15 were easier :-P A circular saw blade sharpener is £160.

DWD
Chippo1

Circ saw blades

Post by Chippo1 »

The 80 tooth blade is dandy now for cross cuts on the 743, I have now acquired a 746 hybrid saw. What a difference a proper fence makes for rip cuts. The 743 changed all the time if you didn’t keep checking the alignment it would land up pinching resulting in kick back , scary even with riving knife in place.

Just want a guard now for the 746 , which seem rarer than rocking horse dung !

Return to “Tool Talk”