SDS Drill 240V or cordless

All tool questions and recommendations or complaints in this forum please

Moderator: Moderators

Job and Knock
Old School Chippie

Post by Job and Knock »

Amazon £168. MTS £170 if you don't like Amazon. Both 230 volt

Used a borrowed one for half a day few years back. It was certainly an improvement on the GBH2400 I owned at the time - more powerful but a bit heavier. Well up to removing light to medium tiles with a tile chisel as well being a very competent SDS drill. I rather fancied one at the time, but in the end I went cordless (Makita DHR242) for the majority of my masonry drilling with a 3kg+ swappable chuck Milwukee for bigger stuff. If I had to live with only one SDS drill I think I could live with your choice very happily.
"The person who never made a mistake, never made anything" - Albert Einstein

"I too will something make, And joy in the making" - Robert Bridges, 1844~1930

"The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell from The Triumph of Stupidity", 1933
fin

Post by fin »

ive got one of those. seems to work fine. although its not seen the light of day for well over a year now
etaf

Post by etaf »

Thanks for the replies, I guess my hesitation is the price and how much use it would get as a DIYer, but having purchased a DW Mitre saw to do a laminate floor at my daughters, I have used a few times now, and having good quality equipment, does make the job so much easier to do. I just put up 7 brackets and a 3.3M shelf, which i was able to do really easily with the kit i had, in the past it would have taken ages.

So i guess the Bosch would be a good drill to have for those heavy duty jobs

Thanks agin
Simple DIYer
Wayne
Bob225

Post by Bob225 »

Go for the non f and get a set of sds bits instead the makita ones are good for the money (shop around tho)

https://www.screwfix.com/p/bosch-gbh-2- ... lsrc=aw.ds

https://www.screwfix.com/p/makita-sds-p ... -pcs/5145r

or

https://www.screwfix.com/p/bosch-sds-pl ... eces/460fh
etaf

Post by etaf »

do you not think the other chuck is worth while then ?
I will have a new fence posts to put up against a small single brick wall - which i have started - 2 holes in each and then coach bolt and concrete the fence post
18mm holes and took a lot to make just the one hole
i thought the other chuck may help with larger bits - or have i miss read that - and the SDS chuck will work upto 28mm drill bits ?

if i'm not going for the extra chuck "F" then probably could get a different model of the Bosch
Simple DIYer
Wayne
Bob225

Post by Bob225 »

As a rule standard chucks go up to 12-13mm in shank size, sds is normally for masonry and rotary stop

If you're struggling with 18 mm holes (through timber? ) drill a pilot hole of 5 or 6mm then drill the 18mm, a spade bit will work but an auger bit will make short work of it without the need for a pilot

can i ask why 18mm ?
etaf

Post by etaf »

in a brick wall with a large 240mm coach bolt M12 , so a 16mm drill
then 14mm in wood
with a forstner drill bit to sync the head into the wood
18mm was for a garage wall pipe work, sorry
Simple DIYer
Wayne
fin

Post by fin »

jus to let ya know that chuck ya cant use it with hammer mode. it wont hammer. the chuck is just for normal like hss or spade bits.

actually yesterday i needed my sds drill but i had lent it to a mate. one of the other lads on the job said ohh i got one in the van. its only a cheap one like. so i said ok coz my mate will be a few hours yet so i could get on.

wey aye the cheap sds drills are absolutely terrible in comparison to a propper drill. ie a dewalt or makita, hilti, bosch etc etc

it was a aldis own make i think. one of those generic machines that are the same for a load of companies. it was as rough as toast in comparison. sure it drilled the holes bigger than the drill bit too
etaf

Post by etaf »

Thanks, just thought , even without hammer and a good quality bit , it would do the larger jobs 10mm & above
or am i missing the point of the chuck as i do have quite a few straight drill bits
https://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-strai ... tid=721471
Simple DIYer
Wayne
Job and Knock
Old School Chippie

Post by Job and Knock »

etaf wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:56 pmdo you not think the other chuck is worth while then ?
Not really. SDS drills are just too big and heavy/unwieldy to use with small drill bits, also too slow (not enough revs), and in any case you can get SDS shank auger bits and use them in rotation only mode.
etaf wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:56 pmi thought the other chuck may help with larger bits - or have i miss read that - and the SDS chuck will work upto 28mm drill bits ?
That's SDS masonry bits for drilling masonry. Can't recall ever having to go above 20mm on any SDS drill - even resin anchors generally don't require much above 16mm. Auger bits and spade bits have var smaller shanks than the drill size

I'd suggest that an 18mm spade bit to sink the holes (a Fortsner is a bit overkill on fence posts - just make sure your spade bit is a good one, such as an Irwin, and avoid ones with a screw nose, such as those terrible Bosch ones), followed by a 12 to 14mm auger bit for the main hole then your SDS bit. You can get an SDS adaptor with a chuck mounted fairly cheaply (i.e from under a tenner) to use ordinary bits.

"The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell from The Triumph of Stupidity", 1933
etaf

Post by etaf »

Thanks for all the input , i really appreciate all the advice , especially as i'm not 100% decided and dont have an immediate need for the Drill
It is making me rethink again.
I did use a 14mm for some anchor resign fixings for a 4x4 post i had to hang on an outside wall - and the Cordless i had did struggle with some of those posts.

I have the Fostner and spade bits - mostly straight, which i assume will go in a standard chuck on an SDS and used as none hammer or again am i missing something

For chisling
I have to remove a lot of render form the side of a garage wall , as i have a new door and will plastic coat the part near the door to match the new one fitted
So was hoping the chisel will do for that

And i have to replace 3 drain covers , which I have replaced 2 already and had to use a grinder to take off about an inch to get the blockwork drain cover down to be flush
https://www.travisperkins.co.uk/manhole ... m/p/802195

I'm assuming the chisel action on an SDS would do this

Having a bit of rethink again as it is a lot of money for the bosch £200 versas say a dewalt for £100
I'll have to reread the thread

But thanks for the challenges , helps focus
Simple DIYer
Wayne
Job and Knock
Old School Chippie

Post by Job and Knock »

etaf wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:24 pmI did use a 14mm for some anchor resign fixings for a 4x4 post i had to hang on an outside wall - and the Cordless i had did struggle with some of those posts.
Even a basic corded SDS drill would tackle 14mm holes in masonry better than a combi drill
etaf wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:24 pmI have the Fostner and spade bits - mostly straight, which i assume will go in a standard chuck on an SDS and used as none hammer or again am i missing something
TBH you'd be better using them in a conventional drill rather than an SDS. The Forstners are really designed for use on dry wood - fencing posts are normally treated (and at this time of year wet) and in any case if they are softwood they are likely to be fast grown stringy stuff. Whilst this is perfectly OK for fencing you may find that Forstners choke on it. Spade bits won't and are more than adequate for counter boring the stuff providing they are sharp, but are best used on an electric or combi drill rather than an SDS
etaf wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:24 pmI have to remove a lot of render form the side of a garage wall , as i have a new door and will plastic coat the part near the door to match the new one fitted
So was hoping the chisel will do for that
No problem with an SDS that has rotation stop and a chisel. Same goes for the chiselling down

Whilst the GBH2-28 is a nice tool, it is an expensive option if you aren't using it intensively, especially when tools like the slightly lower spec GBH2-26 can be picked up at around £100 (and yes, I can recommend that vendor Howe Tools from personal experience). As I probably said earlier, I'm not a fan of DW corded SDS drills and far prefer Bosch. A lot of guys on site do, too

etaf

Post by etaf »

should have updated, i ended up with a DeWalt D25134K SDS Hammer 800 Watt 240v Quick Change Chuck which i got for xmas 2019 from family.
I have used a lot this year, for drilling SDS , fitting quite a few posts to a wall with coach bolts, for channelling pipe work into a wall and cable channel, removing tiles and breaking a path step up and also used a lot with normal chuck and drills.
Really pleased with the tool, and corded was the answer for my use
These users thanked the author etaf for the post (total 2):
Dave54 (Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:16 pm) • Job and Knock (Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:49 pm)
Rating: 14.29%
Simple DIYer
Wayne
Rorschach

Post by Rorschach »

Thanks for coming back and updating us.

Return to “Tool Talk”