SDS Drill 240V or cordless

All tool questions and recommendations or complaints in this forum please

Moderator: Moderators

etaf

Post by etaf »

I'm thinking of getting a SDS drill with chisel function for very occasional use as a DIYer for birthday/xmas present

I have a lot of Dewalt cordless tools at the moment, but looking at some of these cordless dewalt sds tools they are very expensive and a lot of the cheaper versions have poor reviews
So i'm thinking of perhaps getting this model
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00VXGMCMO/ref=dp_cerb_1

otherwise in cordless - i would want to keep with the Dewalt 18V range as i say , i have a lot of these models
so
https://www.amazon.co.uk/DeWalt-Lithium ... ems&sr=1-3

Also a good quality chisel set, i have found a lot of dewalt accessories quite poor, and had a lot more success with Borsch drills and blades

thoughts
Simple DIYer
Wayne
Rorschach

Post by Rorschach »

If you are only going to use it a couple of times a year get corded.
toolbox

Post by toolbox »

Rorschach wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:26 pm If you are only going to use it a couple of times a year get corded.
Spot on advice! A corded one will have more punch price for price, and will work out of the box 1st time every time. Cordless after several months in store will need charging before use or half way through the job.
Job and Knock
Old School Chippie

Post by Job and Knock »

I'm with Rorschach - a corded SDS packs far more punch at the same price point. To get an equivalent hammer strength to a £150 corded SDS you really need to be looking at 36 volt or 54 volt models. TBH, though, I've never been that impressed by the quakity of DW's corded SDS drills (I've seen quite a few that failed prematurely) and my experience is that they aren't as robust as, say, Bosch, Metabo or Makita.
"The person who never made a mistake, never made anything" - Albert Einstein

"I too will something make, And joy in the making" - Robert Bridges, 1844~1930

"The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell from The Triumph of Stupidity", 1933
Cannyfixit

Post by Cannyfixit »

Another vote for corded sds,I use mine about ten times a year at home ,if you really want cordless then I can recommend Bosch,we have 36v Bosch at work and I love it maybe that’s why I don’t use my own corded one as much lol
If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk/#/ple ... 4529684719
etaf

Post by etaf »

Thanks for the advice , I will go corded, don't really need to be cordless, as mentioned in replies , its only going to be used infrequently , and now that its doesnt matter about make, as no batteries involved ,
I've never been that impressed by the quakity of DW's corded SDS drills (I've seen quite a few that failed prematurely) and my experience is that they aren't as robust as, say, Bosch, Metabo or Makita.
what would be the recommendation for a make and model.

i have been looking at the bosch, as i have a few other Bosch tools - corded drill, jigsaw, heat blower & sanders and all been very good
I'm finding the accessories like, blades and drill bits , Bosch tend to last longer, very disappointed with Dewalt items I have , they wear out very quickly.

BOSCH GBH 2-26 2.7KG ELECTRIC SDS PLUS 240V
BOSCH GBH 2-28 2.9KG ELECTRIC SDS PLUS DRILL 240V

Any others people would shortlist.

I notice Milwaukee have a good reputation , but cannot find a corded version easily available
Simple DIYer
Wayne
fin

Post by fin »

ive got a bosch corded sds drill. it gathers dust now.

about a year ago now i saw the screwfix deal for the cordless sds dewalt drill. mint deal compared to anything else i could find
https://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-dch03 ... rill/675fj

does everything i need it too and its a much better drill than the other dewalt cordless sds with the right angle motor arangement.

ive used it for chisel and drilling and its been bang on. its even had my festool sds drill put in its box never to see the light of day
etaf

Post by etaf »

interesting , thanks , that looks like a good deal, and given the Bosch is about the same price - i may add to my shortlist and get a couple of 4Ah batts into the bargin
Simple DIYer
Wayne
fin

Post by fin »

thats what i thought when that deal came on. its like £20 more than all the online deals i saw but they were all 1 battery and sometimes it was plus the vat. where the screwfix for the extra £20 ya getting another battery and a charger aswell
etaf

Post by etaf »

you have found this as good as the cable versions and a reliable tool , as you say the other SDS cable tools are left in the box - some feedback on dewalt cordless was that it was not very powerful and the chuck slipped a lot - you have not found that
Simple DIYer
Wayne
fin

Post by fin »

for drilling the holes i need it to its perfect. maybe if you were drilling a 25mm hole for example it may struggle but thats a canny hole for even a mains sds drill anyway. ive done 12mm holes straight through cavity walls ive chisseled out chases for cables all sorts. i wouldnt put a core drill into it as id probably wreck it but then thats abusing the tool anyway. plus ive got a core drill for that task anyway so for what i need it for it does absolutely fine

how would the chuck slip? its an sds drill so the bit just clips in. not had any problem with it at all.

the only problem i did have was the first drill was faulty but screwfix swapped it no problems. what i shoulda done is put in 2 knackered batteries and kept 2 new ones..... hindsight at its best haha
Job and Knock
Old School Chippie

Post by Job and Knock »

etaf wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:15 amI notice Milwaukee have a good reputation , but cannot find a corded version easily available
You probably won't find one in your budget range.I have a 3kg Milwaukee - cast alloy frame, extremely heavy duty, 4J impact - but it was more like £400 new.

The difference between cordless and corded is speed - like Fin I'm a tradesman, so the issues are speed, power, weight and convenience. In trade cordless is a big plus because it frees you from hauling a heavy 110 volt transformer around (almost mandatory, these day), but in going for convenience you sacrifice power and speed - a cordless SDS is neither as powerful, nor as fast as a corded one. This isn't an issue if all you are doing is drilling a dozen 7mm holes for brown plugs in blockwork - it becomes one when you are drilling 50+ 14mm holes in 70kN (extra hard) re-inforced concrete for resin ancors. Whilst a cordless SDS can manage that, a 3kg corded one will do the job 3 to 4 times as fast (based on real world from comparative drillings by Makita DHR242 brushless 18 volt SDS vs. Milwaukee PLH32 110 volt), but then that's 1.2J vs. 4J
"The person who never made a mistake, never made anything" - Albert Einstein

"I too will something make, And joy in the making" - Robert Bridges, 1844~1930

"The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell from The Triumph of Stupidity", 1933
fin

Post by fin »

yea im just mainly drilling between 5 and 7mm holes. if i had to as j&k says drill loads of 14mm holes then id be probably looking at a different dril to do that job
fin

Post by fin »

ive got a big bosch sds max hammer drill which would probs do that no bother but its a propper beast like
etaf

Post by etaf »

i think i have decided on the Bosch GBH 2-28 F Professional, which comes with a chuck for standard Drills hence "F"
I looked at the toolstation onew at £189 , bit did not have the standard chuck, which i think would be useful for the larger drill Dia Sizes , and it replaces the existing chuck , so should have less wobble

i was looking at the warehouse offer , but no 240V

anyone used , comments ?
Simple DIYer
Wayne

Return to “Tool Talk”