Moderator: Moderators

Mark65
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Mitre Saw Choice

Post by Mark65 »

Hi All
This has been done many times I think but I am looking for real use recommendations on a mitre saw, I dont want a cheapy as it usually ends up buying twice, so i try to go with mid range, its just for DIY around a house we have bought. Ive have a few with prices, a couple are cheaper as my wife works at screwfix, could you recommend the better one from the list.
Thanks
Mark

Bosch Professional GCM800 SJ2 £189 no trench
Bosch Professional GCM 8 SJL £260
Dewalt DWS774-GB £220
Dewalt DWS777-GB £280 no trench?
Makita LS0714 £308 max of budget
Makita LS0714N/2 £240 new model, hard start, no brake
sammy.se

Mitre Saw Choice

Post by sammy.se »

I've heard great things about the Bosch models you have shortlisted, but I don't have first hand experience, sorry.
Mark65
Newly registered Member

Mitre Saw Choice

Post by Mark65 »

Also this Hitachi C10FCE2 as 5 inch skirting will be the largest used as im reading about sliding mitres having play in them.
big-all
Pro Carpenter

Mitre Saw Choice

Post by big-all »

the 774 wont trench either
the rods must be parallel to the base with the heads nodding only
i have the old dw712 and the newer
DCS365P2 18v outside your budget but worth considering if you have or will be getting dewalt batteries and buy it naked[wont trench but can be adapted but not easy]

https://www.powertoolworld.co.uk/dewalt ... -body-only
we are all ------------------still learning
Mark65
Newly registered Member

Mitre Saw Choice

Post by Mark65 »

H ,thanks, the DCS365P2 is at the top end really but i have a few dewalt batteries and I get the %20 of at screwfix, I also saw this one Dewalt DCS365N-XJ, both seem better rated than the corded versions, will have a read of the reviews.
Argyll

Mitre Saw Choice

Post by Argyll »

How do you get 20% from SF pray tell?
Mark65
Newly registered Member

Mitre Saw Choice

Post by Mark65 »

hi, my wife works there, unfortunately they dont sell the Makita LS0714 £308 so its full price for that, im in the fence its between that and the Dewalt DWS777-GB £280, do i need a trench cut will i in the future or take theMakita LS0714N/2 which i cant see any reviews for.
Mark65
Newly registered Member

Mitre Saw Choice

Post by Mark65 »

I think i will go for the Makita LS0714N 240v it seems it is a double bevel as well with trench cut, see how it goes, just have to wait til it arrives in stock.
Job and Knock
Old School Chippie

Mitre Saw Choice

Post by Job and Knock »

Trench cut is a bit of a dubious benefit IMHO. Every chop saw I've ever used with them seems incapable of cutting consistent depth trenches (the slightest extra pressure on the head will result in a deeper trench). Double bevel is a great feature to have if you are doing a lot of skirting where you are constantly flipping from LH cut to RH cut, but TBH again you can live without it unless and until you need to install something like large size dado mouldings round a room with multiple piers......
"The person who never made a mistake, never made anything" - Albert Einstein

"I too will something make, And joy in the making" - Robert Bridges, 1844~1930

"The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell from The Triumph of Stupidity", 1933
fin

Mitre Saw Choice

Post by fin »

ive got a kapex and the trenching on that even is a bit so so and theyre supposed to be the be all and end all..

if i have to make a door frame which is the only time i ever really need to do trench cuts i just use my battery circular and a sharp chisel.
big-all
Pro Carpenter

Mitre Saw Choice

Post by big-all »

:thumbright: my dw712 s really really good at trenching and use it copious amounts half laps are a dawdle :lol:
if high accuracy is required will cut the exact half but leave half/half feathers as in 3.2mm cut 3.2mm gap then crudely remove the feathers with the side off a chisel leaving around 0.5mm stumps from the feathers
now when you clamp and assemble you have a criss cross off 0.5mm meaning the joint self adjusts till the glue goes off :thumbright:
we are all ------------------still learning
fin

Mitre Saw Choice

Post by fin »

i only ever do half laps on wall plates on extensions. for that my battery circ saw does bang on but obv everyones work is different.

i do actually though think the dewalt mitre saws are usually very good. my mates flexvolt mitre saw is class like. if id not bought my kapex id buy one of those.
Job and Knock
Old School Chippie

Mitre Saw Choice

Post by Job and Knock »

big-all wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:11 pm:thumbright: my dw712 s really really good at trenching and use it copious amounts half laps are a dawdle :lol:
if high accuracy is required...
I'm with Fin on this one - a cordless (or even a corded) circular saw and a speed square are faster and more accurate/repeatable than any chop saw for trenching or half laps. The issue is that chop saw arms all flex and in any case the bits of bent metal which pass as depth stops also bend so getting consistent depth is just pot luck.
"The person who never made a mistake, never made anything" - Albert Einstein

"I too will something make, And joy in the making" - Robert Bridges, 1844~1930

"The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell from The Triumph of Stupidity", 1933
fin

Mitre Saw Choice

Post by fin »

tbh i think the only time recently that ive used the depth stop on my kapex was when i was making some oak newel caps for a staircase i did. they had to be custom sized and both were slightly different. worked alreet in the end too. i used the depth stop to take out most of the waste and then routered out the rest.
badknees
Newly registered Member

Mitre Saw Choice

Post by badknees »

hi people i’ve been looking into buying a saw to take a dado. And you can buy two models in the uk from axminster which comply because they have a special safety guard one cost around £1795 and the cheaper one around £895 i spoke to them yesterday and apparently they are the only two saws which you can buy in the uk

Return to “Tool Talk”