Pole chainsaw

All tool questions and recommendations or complaints in this forum please

Moderator: Moderators

OchAye

Pole chainsaw

Post by OchAye »

Would this chainsaw be worth bothering with?
https://www.screwfix.com/p/titan-ttb426 ... uner/99641

I have an overhanging branch about 4-5 feet long and 3-4 inches thick that I need to chop. I could probably cut the branch in two using my standard chainsaw + ladders (against the branch) + someone on site to call the ambulance. The thing at Screwfix would manage the smaller branches to reduce the bulk of what has to come down but it does not seem worth bothering for just pruning. Any ideas if it could manage a 3-4 inch branch taking plenty of time to cut it?
Dave54

Re: Pole chainsaw

Post by Dave54 »

Dunno about that one. I'd have thought it would do it easily although I've only used a mains "ordinary" chainsaw a couple of times I was impressed.
What about one of these though?
https://www.screwfix.com/p/telescopic-tree-pruner/2096f
I bought one similar from Lidl for the lopper, but I tried the saw last year on a couple of branches to save getting the petrol pole saw out. Saw works well on 3" sort of stuff. Someone there in the reviews says they were cutting 3-4" stuff as well.
These users thanked the author Dave54 for the post:
OchAye
Rating: 7.14%
Rorschach

Post by Rorschach »

If it's a one off job, get a pole saw, much cheaper. Yes it will be a bit slow and harder work, but pretty safe and you only have to do it once.
These users thanked the author Rorschach for the post:
OchAye
OchAye

Post by OchAye »

Thank you Dave54 for the hand pruner. I had missed that as I had found the same bahco ones costing as much as the electric gadget.

Rorschash, yup at that price too (must double check the height tomorrow). If the main branch if clear from other growth I can take down safely with the electric chainsaw.
Bob225

Post by Bob225 »

I have the ryobi pole chainsaw fully extended its very top heavy, the trigger is right on the end, what makes it a pita to balance and use and put any pressure on the saw

ladder + bow saw if you can manage it, or get some idiot in a van to do it

Edit. The titan is the same design as the ryobi
These users thanked the author Bob225 for the post:
OchAye
Rorschach

Post by Rorschach »

FWIW I have used jubilee clips to hold a hand pruning saw onto a long pole for this kind of work. Didn't cost me anything and got the job done, if a little slowly lol.
Grendel

Post by Grendel »

Rorschach wrote:FWIW I have used jubilee clips to hold a hand pruning saw onto a long pole for this kind of work. Didn't cost me anything and got the job done, if a little slowly lol.
Reading through this thread that was in my mind as it's something I've done the same myself although I may have used tape. Done the same with a paint brush once too painting a really hard to get to downpipe.
Rorschach

Post by Rorschach »

Grendel wrote:
Rorschach wrote:FWIW I have used jubilee clips to hold a hand pruning saw onto a long pole for this kind of work. Didn't cost me anything and got the job done, if a little slowly lol.
Reading through this thread that was in my mind as it's something I've done the same myself although I may have used tape. Done the same with a paint brush once too painting a really hard to get to downpipe.
You do what you gotta do to get the job done. I also have to paint an awkward spot once, I cut the paintbrush and glued and screwed it back onto the handle at 90deg, worked a charm but was a bugger to dip into the paint lol.
OchAye

Post by OchAye »

Howdy, follow on to the the scroofix handheld telescopic pruner has done the trick and I have removed all minor branches. It has a rather wobbly saw blade, I am surprised I have not broken it yet, the secateurs are better than I expected, and it untightens and folds at will. Worth the money.

Given I am too lazy to get the ladders out, I will try cutting the main 3" branch with it next.
Nos

Post by Nos »

I have used a similar one to trim our Chestnut tree, I managed to cut some fairly thick branches 100/160mm, however I forgot one very important thing and that was gravity :scratch: :scratch: so first time, lots of sawdust and a branch on the head :oops: lesson learnt. Nos
These users thanked the author Nos for the post:
OchAye
Dave54

Post by Dave54 »

The saw on mine is pretty wobbly too. Same on I suspect. Works OK though, and seems a lot tougher than it feels.

I always wear a helmet and when I'm doing those jobs. :lol:
These users thanked the author Dave54 for the post:
OchAye
Bob225

Post by Bob225 »

Dave54 wrote:The saw on mine is pretty wobbly too. Same on I suspect. Works OK though, and seems a lot tougher than it feels.

These users thanked the author Bob225 for the post:
Dave54
Dave54

Post by Dave54 »

Bob225 wrote:
Dave54 wrote:The saw on mine is pretty wobbly too. Same on I suspect. Works OK though, and seems a lot tougher than it feels.

Not quite, but better to be a bit over careful than have a large branch plant itself in the top of your head!

Return to “Tool Talk”