Angle grinders 115 / 125mm

All tool questions and recommendations or complaints in this forum please

Moderator: Moderators

Croker

Post by Croker »

Been using my angle grinder loads lately, in fact it's my current no. 1 favourite tool :-)

So many uses and even using it to cut wood with a new fancy Bosch carbide blade (just trimming stuff of course, not chopping up logs or anything!)

Anyway I'm considering an upgrade to a 125mm (from current 115mm). I guess the bigger blade will make a small difference to performance, but the upgrade would also include a brushless motor which should improve both power and, more importantly, battery life. My current brushed 115mm grinder just gobbles up the batteries.

Might be an ideal prezzie to ask for from Santa, but anyway my question is this:

Can I use 115mm blades on a 125mm machine? I have a fair number of 115 blades sitting around and would ideally like to use them up, what with being a bit of a tight git and all.
Looks like all the standard blades in both diameters have a centre bore of 22.23mm, so I''m thinking they should be interchangeable unless I'm missing something?

Can anyone please confirm?

Cheers :thumbleft:
Rorschach

Post by Rorschach »

Should be the same size fitting, I have 125mm grinders and use smaller blades all the time.
These users thanked the author Rorschach for the post:
Croker (Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:58 am)
Rating: 7.14%
big-all
Pro Carpenter

Post by big-all »

you will get slightly less blade protection with a smaller blade/disk but as the blade is very open in use it wont make any real extra danger
it will be worth measuring the visible blade on each machine although a very small difference in size the new machine may have a bigger body so less visible blade or indeed a smaller body so you wont know without a measure
These users thanked the author big-all for the post:
Croker (Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:58 am)
we are all ------------------still learning
Job and Knock
Old School Chippie

Post by Job and Knock »

big-all wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:23 pm you will get slightly less blade protection with a smaller blade/disk but as the blade is very open in use it wont make any real extra danger
Yes, but if you think about metal and stone cutting discs, B-A, they reduce in diameter as they are used in any case.

Also for the multi material cutting disc (which I presume is the one the OP is referring to), because it is a fixed size disc, looking a lot like a diamond coated segmented masonry disc, it won't reduce in diameter, so the gap between the edge of the disc and the guard will be an extra 5mm, which the guard should accommodate

The really dangerous cutters are those carbide tipped saw blades the Chinese produce - on an angle grinder they are simply an accident waiting to happen
These users thanked the author Job and Knock for the post (total 2):
Croker (Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:59 am) • big-all (Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:04 pm)
Rating: 14.29%
"The person who never made a mistake, never made anything" - Albert Einstein

"I too will something make, And joy in the making" - Robert Bridges, 1844~1930

"The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell from The Triumph of Stupidity", 1933
Croker

Post by Croker »

Thanks for your replies, I suppose it’s common sense really that they’ll fit and work fine but it’s good to have confirmation anyway.

Come to think of it I was sorting out my blades recently and one diamond edged blade that has seen considerable (ab)use is tiny now. Reckon I’ll still get some more mortar out with it before it goes in the bin though!

The Bosch carbide blade I was on about is indeed a multi material fixed size disc (highly recommended btw, and on offer at Tool Station at the moment £7.98 for a 115mm).

Haven’t come across any angle driver saw blades but can well imagine they exist. No way would I use one, our nearest A&E is about 15 miles away!
Job and Knock
Old School Chippie

Post by Job and Knock »

Croker wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:07 am I suppose it’s common sense really that they’ll fit and work fine...
In fact it can be handy to keep a couple of small abrasive wheels for the odd time when you can't get a new, full size wheel onto a tight spot
Croker wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:07 amHaven’t come across any angle driver saw blades but can well imagine they exist. No way would I use one, our nearest A&E is about 15 miles away!
They are all Chinese AFAIK and have pretty much disappeared from the market, thank goodness (and trading stsndards), but there are still a few outfits selling them. There was a guy over on another forum who converted his angle grinder to use a circular saw blade - then died when it kicked back in use and severed a major blood vessel. Grinders need to be treated with respect because they have so much potential for injury - strapping a wood saw blade on one seems just plain bonkers(no base, no riving knife so no way to limit kickback)

"The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell from The Triumph of Stupidity", 1933
Razor

Post by Razor »

I used to have an arbortech wheel with three carbide teeth. It was a great demolition tool but scared the crap out of me everytime I used it.

Even a 5" wheel has some serious gyroscopic effect at that speed!
I think I'll take two chickens...
fin

Post by fin »

some people should have tools taken off them.

messing about with blades the machines are not designed for is a recipe for disaster in even the most experienced hands
ayjay

Post by ayjay »

I've done it round the other way with a metal cutting disc in a circular saw when I had a lot of EML to cut up. :lol:

I didn't own an angle grinder at the time, and the discs were just lying around waiting to be put to use.
One day it will all be firewood.
fin

Post by fin »

bloke i used to work with went to adjust the guard on his 9 inch grinder... he did it when the blade was still slowing down. cut a 3mm ish wide chunk out of his wrist haha the dafty
Job and Knock
Old School Chippie

Post by Job and Knock »

[url]
ayjay wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:24 pm I've done it round the other way with a metal cutting disc in a circular saw when I had a lot of EML to cut up. :lol:
Skilsaw still sell the Mag77 framing saw in the USA as being suitable for cutting sheet metal, with either a metal cutting blade or a grinding disc. Those saws certainly have sufficient weight to be stable, as well as sufficient torque to deal with cutting up profile steel cladding, roofing, etc

Rorschach

Post by Rorschach »

Stumpy nubs on youtube has a very good video about his angle grinder/carving blade accident.
These users thanked the author Rorschach for the post:
Job and Knock (Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:45 am)
Dave54

Post by Dave54 »

I remember those Arbortech blades coming out, but I never really fancied one much.
Mate gave himself quite a bad cut on the leg with a 9" angle grinder.
He'd never used one before. 'Nuff said.
These users thanked the author Dave54 for the post:
Job and Knock (Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:45 am)
Job and Knock
Old School Chippie

Post by Job and Knock »

Rorschach wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:13 pm Stumpy nubs
Very appropriate name?

Rorschach

Post by Rorschach »

Job and Knock wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:46 am
Rorschach wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:13 pm Stumpy nubs
Very appropriate name?
:lol: The name preceded the accident but yes very apt. I don't think he lost any fingers but it was really nasty.

Return to “Tool Talk”