clamps

All tool questions and recommendations or complaints in this forum please

Moderator: Moderators

etaf

clamps

Post by etaf »

I'm thinking of extending my clamp range , as a xmas/birth present.

I currently have IRWIN Heavy-Duty One-Handed Bar Clamps 24" & 36" and thinking of getting some of the smaller clamps - 6" & 12"
I have some a few of the Lidl clamps but they are not the best and some very old screw type clamps, BUT i like the quick-release type now having used the Lidl ones a lot

I have the extender bar, which I'm not sure it would work with the Medium Duty, as they seem to sell a medium and heavy duty extender bar, BUT that maybe just the strength and fixing is the same, if i wanted to extend them - but the IRWIN do seem versatile and of course woud go with the 2 I have

BUT i have also seen some Bessey clamps - set of 4 on offer
https://ffx.co.uk/product/Get/Bessey-Ez ... -Clamp-Set
https://www.besseytools.co.uk/bessey-ez ... sezmezlset

Irwin also do Mini and Micro, BUT not sure if these reverse to spread or if you can join and extend. I have used spread quite a few times

Use - just general DIY - clamping a guide for circular saw, Planing and for clamping panels and wood together
I saw the bessey clamps at the FFX show and almost bought a set, as i was lookign for a decent sash clamp
but the deal was not very good on the stand and that's where I got the IRWIN 24&36" clamps, which I have used a lot , and also joined for 1 big clamp

I may also get the corner attachments

Look forward to anyone's experience of the irwins & Bessy or alternatives
Simple DIYer
Wayne
Job and Knock
Old School Chippie

clamps

Post by Job and Knock »

Are those what they call XP cramps? If so, they aren't a bad cramp for site use. I have bought about a dozen in different sizes over the past 12 months - with a couple of 150mm/6in and a couple of 300mm/12in being left in my site box for use as and when. I mostly use them when sistering joists where a pair of them hold 3 metre long 180 x 75mm joists together and up (the existing joists are failed to.floor boards and we work off s scaffolding tower from beneath) whilst they are drilled. These are used in situ, so the cramps are supporting something like 18 to 25kg on two cramps. Where joists are bowed they won't always pull them together, but for the few times they won't I use a sash cramp to pull things tight (with the XPs still holding things up). I slso use 4 x 600mm/24in and 4 x 900mm/48in ones to assemble cabinets, and although I haven't needed the cramp joiners or corner blocks to date I am considering them together with another 4 of each of the longer cramps. Maybe if I can find a decent Black Friday deal?

What I will say is that they don"t have the sheer crushing power of G-crsmps, but they have enough for glueing up MDF cabinets. They also lack the power of sash cramps, but for that I do have few of them together with a dozen plus cramp heads (rarely needed since I got the XPs)
"The person who never made a mistake, never made anything" - Albert Einstein

"I too will something make, And joy in the making" - Robert Bridges, 1844~1930

"The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell from The Triumph of Stupidity", 1933
dewaltdisney

clamps

Post by dewaltdisney »

About 40 years ago I bought a set of corner mitre clamps. They are made of die-cast metal they are quite flimsy really painted in blue and orange with weedy little tee piece type vice handles to tighten and loosen off. But I have to say I have used them extensively over the years and they have been a brilliant tool. Most of my clamps have been acquired through opportunistic purchases and are all in the main crap end of the market. But they all work. My best set is a pair of Victorian sash cramps that give you a hernia when you lift them. They also allow the movable jaws to be reversed at the end and I have used this as a spreader on my fence panel project pushing tight posts apart. I guess what I am saying is that whatever clamp you have works, it is the range and versatility of how you deploy them that is important. Good quality lasts but so have my crap ones.

DWD
fin

clamps

Post by fin »

ive got er,,,, 6 or 7 sash cramps of various sizes. all inherited...

then just like f clamps of a few different sizes and the rest of my set are the sliding bar clamps mostly irwin clamps of different models.

i do have 1 floorboard cramp too. but i would need another one for it to be of any use.
etaf

clamps

Post by etaf »

thanks for all the replies and info
I guess what I am saying is that whatever clamp you have works, it is the range and versatility of how you deploy them that is important. Good quality lasts but so have my crap ones.
interesting , i may be over thinking it, and take the deals as i see them, Thanks
nd although I haven't needed the cramp joiners or corner blocks to date I am considering them together with another 4 of each of the longer cramps. Maybe if I can find a decent Black Friday deal?
I was hoping to see some set deals for black friday as well, but not seen much
Simple DIYer
Wayne
big-all
Pro Carpenter

clamps

Post by big-all »

havent got a clue iff hype or good value
i shop a lot at axminster so thought a black friday 15% off "selected"clamps worth a mention
https://www.axminstertools.com/black-fr ... +Broadcast
we are all ------------------still learning

Return to “Tool Talk”