New 110v 1/2" router choice

All tool questions and recommendations or complaints in this forum please

Moderator: Moderators

oz0707

Post by oz0707 »

New router time. Have the Hitachi in 240v but time for new 110v.

The Hitachi is reasonably priced and I got on well with it before. The plunge depth seems to be smaller than competitors but I can't think why you'd need a deep depth. Maybe a deep lock body but these can be finished off with drill anyway.
https://www.ffx.co.uk/tools/product/Hik ... -With-Case

The Trend is a little bit more expensive but the plunge depth is greater and the warranty is 3 years. I have the Trend 1/4" router and get on well with that but I know other lads who have had crap experience.
https://www.ffx.co.uk/tools/product/Tre ... man-Router

Any advice or opinions appreciated.
Cheers
fin

Post by fin »

ive had this router for a while now... never let me down. well made bit of kit
https://www.ffx.co.uk/tools/product/Mak ... -With-Case
fin

Post by fin »

infact.... ive had it nearly 10 years ha coz the first job i used it on the woman was watching william and kates wedding on the tv and i kept getting her asking me to come and watch it haha
oz0707

Post by oz0707 »

Thanks for the reply. I had the same opinion on the hitachi at close to half the price (ie had it long enough never let me down) however thought for the extra 30 quid the trend perhaps seemed a better bet.
An extra hundred quid seems a bit over budget
oz0707

Post by oz0707 »

Well I just pressed the button on the T10
3 Years warranty and I got for 209 with the Vodka - Thats 174 excl to me so less than 60 quid a year for guaranteed routing pleasure!

Ebay seems to be having 15% off on a lot of things now with code POPUPOCT15 thought I'd let everyone know
Job and Knock
Old School Chippie

Post by Job and Knock »

The T10 is basically a deWalt DW625 with a few Trend mods to the base plate - they are made in the same factory. I have long experience of the DW625 and the progenitor product the Elu MOF177e and I have been very happy with them.over the years (currently still have two MOF177e routers, a late 1980s type 2 and a 1999 type 4).

They are probably the most compact 1800/2000 watt 1/2in router out there with a out the best plunge depth on the market (useful not only for lock mortising, but also for genersl mortising, door bottom grooving for drop seals, etc) and they aren't tippy or top heavy like the large Triton and Bosch models are.

Guide bushes are easy - these routers come with an adaptor to allow you to utilise the MOF96/Trend guide bush system which has guide bushes in 2mm increments from 12mm to 32mm - a better range than any other big router and great if you do much template work.

Finally they have a high quality collet system - this is the same collet system that Festool chose for their flagship OF2200 router. Makita, in line with other Japanese routers doesn't offer an 8mm collet - you need to use a collet reducer, but these increase cutter run out and are prone to slippage under heavy cutting, especially with spiral cutters. And who wants a cutter creeping out mid cut?

OK, so the downsides? The router lacks a motor brake which activates on shut down (a feature of the newer big Makitas, but rare in corded models). That would be a handy safety feature. The dust extraction is really just so-so, especially in comparison with the Festool 1/2in routers, but it is no worse than the Makita RP2300. I still think that it was high time that DW/Trend addressed this. Finally, sadly, the build quality these days isn't as good as the earlier Swiss-made Elus. Against that you can get a DW625 for pretty much the same sort if money that a MOF177e would have set uou back on the late 1990s (yes, really) .....

Overall, I'd say good call

In the interest of "bias control" I will admit that I currently iwn two Elu MOF177e routers, a Festool OF2200e, a deWalt DW622 a Bosch GMF1600e and a number if antique 1/2in routers. I've used the current Hitachi and Makita 1/2in routers at work as well as having previously ownwd both DW625 and Festool.OF1400 routers
"The person who never made a mistake, never made anything" - Albert Einstein

"I too will something make, And joy in the making" - Robert Bridges, 1844~1930

"The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell from The Triumph of Stupidity", 1933
fin

Post by fin »

the only reason i went for the makita was the motor brake over the dewalt model tbh.

the dewalt / trend will be a very good buy
oz0707

Post by oz0707 »

Bloody hell j&k you have some kit don't you.
I like to sell on anything I'm not using I've been quite suprised with how much I get making the actual ownership cost quite low.
Sold the 240v Hitachi router Wed night, 110 quid. By the time I get this trend one excl vat it's probably 70 quid to upgrade, tax deductible of course.
The old gas first fix gun went for spares or repairs, 70 quid. The new dewalt model was around 200 from memory.
Even my old dewalt 2nd fix pin gun, again spares or repairs fetched surprisingly good money though I suspect was an easy fix for someone in the know.
Glad you all think reasonable purchase, next item on the list is trend lock jig. I had on of those starret protectors arrive this week, got it for disecting the angle on the pigs ear a bit quicker.
I reckon you can comfortably discount 10-15% of annual income on tools and maintaining tools!
oz0707

Post by oz0707 »

Fin I remember fitting a kitchen with a bloke when that wedding was on and making him stop for an hour or so to watch the good bits why didn't they do it on a Saturday or bank I'll!
Job and Knock
Old School Chippie

Post by Job and Knock »

oz0707 wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 4:41 am ....next item on the list is trend lock jig. I had on of those starret protectors arrive this week, got it for disecting the angle on the pigs ear a bit quicker.
If you are fitting locks for a living I'd seriously take a look at the Souber DBB lock mortiser instead of the Trend. It runs on an electric drill and is far faster to set up and use than the Trend jig - it self centres on the door as well (which the Trend doesn't do). Downside is it needs a corded drill, or at least a very heavy/fast cordless combi such as a Makita DHP481 (lesser cordless tools are too slow and/or too wimpy). One issue I had with the Trend jigs was that they often needed a purpose-made template for the (commercial) locks I was fitting - Trend have a wide range of these templates available, and can make one offs, but that takes 1 to 3 days to do. The other issue was depth of cut, although you can get round that by using two 1/2 in routers, one with a 30mm guide bush and 12mm deep pocket bit, the second with a bespoke made 34mm guide bush and a Wealden Tool 16mm extra long deep pocket bit. Bit of a faff to carry round, however. Also note that if you fit DDA compliant locks you need the larger of the two jigs, although the larger jig does come with adaptors to let you use the templates from the smaller jig

"The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell from The Triumph of Stupidity", 1933
fin

Post by fin »

ive got the souyber jig too. although i dont use it that much i fetch it out for mortice locks as its great for that.

i just run it with my dewalt battery drill

j&k thats some list of routers there like. ive never used the big festool router.

oz.. that kitchen was a reet pain. the worktops were the old people speckled green ones ya cant get anymore. howdens had the last in the country for this job and had to get me one extra coz i knacked one of them..... haha oops nott he first time id have knacked a laminate worktop like.
oz0707

Post by oz0707 »

Funny enough I used the souber the other day. It was another lads he lent me. I have the dhp makita with 2100 rpm but it still didn't feel fast enough. The timber tore a little. Mind the doors probably aren't the driest on this job.
oz0707

Post by oz0707 »

Another bloke wants to sell me his trend jig, too complicated for him. Think I'll get a try before you buy next week. Why do i need two routers if I just use the jig for faceplates
big-all
Pro Carpenter

Post by big-all »

oz0707 wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:49 am Another bloke wants to sell me his trend jig, too complicated for him. Think I'll get a try before you buy next week. Why do i need two routers if I just use the jig for faceplates
i have several set up with specific cutters champer/rebate x2/roundover/ogee speeds up production no end till you pick up the wrong one ::b
we are all ------------------still learning
Job and Knock
Old School Chippie

Post by Job and Knock »

fin wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:16 am j&k thats some list of routers there like. ive never used the big festool router.
And I haven"t even mentioned the 1/4in routers, trimmers or antique routers..... My missus says I have a problem. Moi?

I also think I probably have the oldest working electric router in the UK - a 240 volt 1931 Stanley model 10 which is 95% complete and still in full working order. That one isn't for trade use, however. If anypone knows of an older, working portable electric router in the UK I'd be interested to know
Last edited by Job and Knock on Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Tool Talk”