Table saw blade out of alignment

All tool questions and recommendations or complaints in this forum please

Moderator: Moderators

davej
Been thanked: 0

Post by davej »

I have a Titan table saw (Screwfix) and for some reason the blade is off straight compared to the guide, just enough to stress the blade when I'm feeding wood into it. You can see where it cut into the plastic bit, although strangely just by tipping it up & looking at the underneath it doesn't seem so bad as it was, still not straight though.

Can't work out how to fix it, or whether I should just get a new one.
Attachments
20201006_112731.jpg
20201006_112731.jpg (126.74 KiB) Viewed 2560 times
20201006_110133.jpg
20201006_110133.jpg (280.13 KiB) Viewed 2560 times
20201006_112731.jpg
20201006_112731.jpg (126.74 KiB) Viewed 2560 times
dewaltdisney

Post by dewaltdisney »

I suspect it is that U shaped bracket holding that motor needs a bit of bending to straighten it. It might be possible to get something on there you can lever it over a few mil to get the blade straight without stripping. I think you may have been ripping a length and gone off fence twisting the blade slightly, these things happen. That is the area I would look, it seems a shame to junk it when a bit of fettling will bring it back true.

Let us know how it goes :thumbright:

DWD
big-all
Pro Carpenter

Post by big-all »

there is no adjustment as such on table saws other than possibly the top
if everything is tight underneath then remove and check the blade for defects build up off resin and sharpness
check the blade is properly fitted and seated correctly
blades can wander off line if blunt or the fence isnt parallel meaning the wood tightens at the back off the blade as the gap narrows
we are all ------------------still learning
Dave54

Post by Dave54 »

Certainly looks out of line from the shots. Slacken off the mounting bolts for the motor (?) that holds the blade, and see if there's enough play to get it straight before retightening.
Otherwise as DWD says. a bit of judicious bending might be in order.
I take it there's no adjustment for angle on the fence?
Chippo1

Post by Chippo1 »

Lots of U tube videos about how to tune up a table saw.

But many of those do tend to be for more expensive types of kit.

First check that your blade is true to the T slots assuming the pressed steel top has them, if it’s out , then that motor type of mechanism you would need to adjust it relative to the table. Check this very carefully with a steel rule or DTI see u tube

Then as said, has the fence got adjustment ? , should have some sort again get this true to the blade , failure to do so can be a cause of kick back.

Check that the blade is stopping at 90 degrees to the table

There are other things to check but it gets complicated , but agian check U tube for table saw set up.

I went though two of these low end saws before I saw the light !
davej

Post by davej »

Thanks all, I'll.see what I can do & report back
davej

Post by davej »

I'm a bit stuck with this because I don't have the tools to get the blade off, can't do anything untill it's off. Tried searching online for a suitable spanner/wrench, nobody states the width of the spanner.
dewaltdisney

Post by dewaltdisney »

The saw comes with a thin wrench that holds the arbor on the motor side of the blade whilst you undo the nut that holds the blade in place on the exposed end of the arbor. Not having the wrench is not the end of the world as you can get the blade undone by jamming a bit of wood between the blade and the table and this holds the blade captive to allow you to undo the nut. Okay, not perfect but it works. Get a spanner to fit the exposed arbor nut, or an adjustable wrench, and turn the nut anti-clockwise to undo it and release the blade. This will give you access to the motor mount that needs a bit of bending to get the motor aligned so the blade runs true.

Good luck and let is know how you get on.

DWD
davej

Post by davej »

dewaltdisney wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:54 pm The saw comes with a thin wrench that holds the arbor on the motor side of the blade whilst you undo the nut that holds the blade in place on the exposed end of the arbor. Not having the wrench is not the end of the world as you can get the blade undone by jamming a bit of wood between the blade and the table and this holds the blade captive to allow you to undo the nut. Okay, not perfect but it works. Get a spanner to fit the exposed arbor nut, or an adjustable wrench, and turn the nut anti-clockwise to undo it and release the blade. This will give you access to the <a href="http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_nkw=motor+mount" class="skimwords-link" target="_blank" data-skimwords-id="773477" data-skimwords-word="motor%20mount" data-group-id="0" data-skim-creative="300003" title="Shopping Link Added by SkimWords" occurrence="1" data-skim-node-id="662:Thesawcomeswithathin_1" style="">motor mount</a><span style="position: absolute;"></span><span style="position: absolute;"></span> that needs a bit of bending to get the motor aligned so the blade runs true.

Good luck and let is know how you get on.

DWD
Thanks for that, the wood 'trick' worked well for getting the blade off (why didn't I think of that! :-) ). However would I be able to do the same in reverse to get it tightened enough as it would be quite awkward if it came loose, obvs!

I've got the blade lined up quite well now (I think), I've got another issue now though, when I started on this, for whatever reason I started removing plastic angle knobs, but putting it back together there seems to be something missing i.e. the handle winder hasn't got anything to wind against. I must be missing something :-/
20201015_170519.jpg
20201015_170519.jpg (87.63 KiB) Viewed 2473 times
dewaltdisney

Post by dewaltdisney »

You can do the blade nut up the same way just jam the wood against the rotation as you tighten it up. The handle is held on by that lock screw. Look closely on the shaft there might be a detent there to screw into. The circular yellow nut is to hold the blade height position and you can see the cogs that the handle winds against to raise and lower the blade. You are nearly there.

DWD
davej

Post by davej »

dewaltdisney wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:45 pm DWD
Just realised my schoolboy error, the handle does the height of the blade! I never used that so had forgotten about it (doh), all sorted now :-)

Many thanks for your support, If they had a beer icon I'd send a couple over :-)

I'll get cutting up wood tomorrow, saves putting the heating on :-)
dewaltdisney

Post by dewaltdisney »

Well done, your saw lives on to another day :thumbright:

DWD

Return to “Tool Talk”