newer style gasles pin guns

All tool questions and recommendations or complaints in this forum please

Moderator: Moderators

oz0707

Post by oz0707 »

Would you have faith in the dewalt for a decent run of framing?
I might be going on a timber frame job in a couple of months
Job and Knock
Old School Chippie

Post by Job and Knock »

Where I've been for the last 18 months we've had a timber framing contractor in doing the the curtain walls along the fronts of apartments. These are double skinned timber frames and are all nailed. The majority of the framing has been done by two guys using their own DCN692s.

My own experience of using a DCN692 was positive and I never ran into any situation that it wouldn't handle. The spares I used are par for the course with any nailer used intensively and at least I didn't need to shell out the annual (or more frequent) £100 service charge that a Paslode costs you. I did a sh*t load of timber framing, roofing and fencing with mine ewithout the need to resort to a gas nailer

My issue was more one of battery systems - I carry too many different chargers and frankly enough was enough. I am trying to reduce my charger count! The guy I sold mine to, a DIYer, immediately built himself a shed, then a garage. He's now building a home office in the garden, so it's still going strong at nearly 5 years old
"The person who never made a mistake, never made anything" - Albert Einstein

"I too will something make, And joy in the making" - Robert Bridges, 1844~1930

"The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell from The Triumph of Stupidity", 1933
fin

Post by fin »

my dewalt gun is the original dcn690. i was a tester for it when it was first released. had a few weird problems with it but dewalt took it away and its been fine ever since. shortly after that the dcn692 came out and the 690 was discontinued.

and yes the rafter hook is a bit of a faff on them
fin

Post by fin »

ive stll not got my paslode back and may have a second fix job coming up soon. dont like the dewalt..... where abouts did you get the hikoki guns from if ya dont mind me asking ya j&k?
Job and Knock
Old School Chippie

Post by Job and Knock »

One came from the USA, the second from eBay and the third from FFX.

"The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell from The Triumph of Stupidity", 1933
fin

Post by fin »

cool. seen that they are about the best price of that ffx.

reakon ill get the 16g first coz ive got the 18g compressor ran gun that i can use. and ill see how i gan with it and if i like it i may well get a 18g without the batteries.
Job and Knock
Old School Chippie

Post by Job and Knock »

The 16ga is a straight gun, not angled like the DW

fin

Post by fin »

yea my paslode is straight. im assuming the nails will be compatible.

had to buy a couple of boxes of angled to suit the dewalt so ill just give those to the lad i borrowed it off
fin

Post by fin »

biggest annoyance about the dewalt is it doesnt stop firing when it runs out of nails it carries on. seems a bit of a strange one that like
Argyll

Post by Argyll »

My DW framing nailer is leaving the nails about half an inch proud. It worked flawlessly for years. I think it's the newer version.

I spoke to someone at DW today who said it's probably the springs. My local repair place is in Dunfermline, about 45mins away so I'll probably have to sort it myself.

Has anyone any experience of changing these springs?
fin

Post by fin »

just incase.... have ya taken apart the front nose piece just to make sure theres nowt in there?

its either job & knock or ayjay on here who have used dewalt guns and repaired em in the past am sure so they will maybe be able to help ya
fin

Post by fin »

actually.... job and knock on here..... this very thread haha

he will be able to help am sure
Job and Knock
Old School Chippie

Post by Job and Knock »

Sorry for the tardy response, but today I've picked up my old DCN692 for repair (as a favour) and it has the same issue that yours has - unable to sink 90mm nails, although 50mm ones are fine. AFAIK the issue is the two springs inside the head. You can get at these for maintenance by undoing the short hex socket bolts on either side of the housing then pulling the housing upwards. The silver head will lift off and beneath it you will fold attached the drive pin and the two drive springs. I seem to recall that they are held in place by nuts, but I'll confirm later on when I get it on the bench. They aren't that expensive, circa £30 a pop (2 needed) from one of the on line spares places maybe cheaper on eBay (just checked and tes they are)

fin

Post by fin »

my gun is the original dcn690. id had it only a matter of months and it started doing this and went in for repair. i remember it was difficult as i had no receipt after it being a trial gun which i got through this website.

since then its never missed a beat and is actually away with a freind of mine on a site somewhere in newcastle so ya can guarantee itll come back donald ducked....

if its as simple to fix as it sounds it may well be worth a look argyll.
Job and Knock
Old School Chippie

Post by Job and Knock »

OK, so further to my previous post, there are TWO possible issues, and this gun has both! In the gun I have the two springs (which are actually the return springs, not the drive springs - drive is a spinning flywheel and uses friction) were weak, meaning that the drive pin was drooping down a bit and therefore not getting the same amount of travel from the drive flywheel. Cured that, but there were still problems, so I looked at the driver pin itself. This has a matt, non shine surface which I suspect they do for extra friction (as said the drive is a friction drive). In the case of this gun at the drive pin at the bottom end on the inside of the u-section the metal was very shiny (wear marks). As a short term fix I scuffed this shiny area with coarse carborundum paper (36 grit), cleaned it off with a blow gun and reinstalled the head on the machine. It now works a lot better, but it isn't perfect, so I am going to order a replacement driver pin in the morning (circa £60). I've replaced several driver pins on this machine in the past, always because I've broken the pins (the result of doing too much time doing multiple layer diaphragm flooring). The springs have been pretty good.

Return to “Tool Talk”