newer style gasles pin guns

All tool questions and recommendations or complaints in this forum please

Moderator: Moderators

fin

Post by fin »

following from the last post about paslodes

ive seen a few vids on you tube etc with joiners using these newer style gasles pin guns. i currently have a 10 year old paslode im65 but i suspect the batteries are rather goosed. my paslodes been in for repair due to it only firing once then needing the battery taken off and back on for it to again fire. so i borrowed a mates dewalt gun, not too fussed on that though. It doesnt lock out when its out of nails so ya can end up with lots of little nail holes before ya realise its out of nails.

So i just kind of wondered how many were using these guns now and what they were like day to day. what makes are people using? seen that hikoki and milwaukee make similar models, weight etc? price? i currently have the 16g paslode an 18g makita air nailer and a 24g headless pin gun. they all have their uses. i normally use the paslode to nail skirting etc but use the 18g for architrave as the passlode leaves to big of a mark i find on architraves. assuming they just use the standard nails available from pretty much all the usual places?
Job and Knock
Old School Chippie

Post by Job and Knock »

They use the standard nails (many of which, incidentally, were really more of a Senco creation in the days before gas nailers) . I often use Paslode, Fischer and Rawl first fix nails in the NR1890 as well as having done so with the deWalt DCN692 I used to own. In 16ga and 18ga the Paslode nails will fit the Hikoki and deWalt guns as well
although it is expensive to buy nails with gas as opposed to the nail only packs I normally buy. 15ga Hikoki nailers use the DA-,type nails as opposed to the Bostitch-type nails, but they are relatively easy to get from trade suppliers (but NOT Sfx or Ts).

I haven't owned a gas second fix nailer for 10+ years having had 1st generation DW (16ga and 18ga) then 2nd gen DW (16 ga only) and now Hitachi/Hikoki (15ga, 16ga and 18ga). OK, the cordless guns are bigger and heavier, but they don't use gss (a pet hate of mine), they are far quieter and they punch in very much like an air nailer. I had issues with the deWalt DCN660 (16ga) on a job a couple of years back because it couldn't punch pins under, or even flush, on a mahogany job, so I had to resort to borrowing a Passy.The Hikoki guns have no such issues to date.
These users thanked the author Job and Knock for the post:
APDIY (Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:31 pm)
Rating: 7.14%
"The person who never made a mistake, never made anything" - Albert Einstein

"I too will something make, And joy in the making" - Robert Bridges, 1844~1930

"The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell from The Triumph of Stupidity", 1933
fin

Post by fin »

so ya have 3 pin guns then? ive never even realised 15g existed tbh. where did ya get em from? what would ya use the 15g for compared to the 18g?

i used to use the 16g passlode for everything. but moved to 18g for architraves coz it was so much neater.

i see that ya can buy the gun with batteries and then other guns as body only. i could probs sell the passlode and the makita air nailer and go with 2 hikokis like... actualy... ive got loads of gear thats doubled or even trippled up on now like
Job and Knock
Old School Chippie

Post by Job and Knock »

I've used the 15ga on cladding (where a pin with a bigger head and more holding power was a big plus) as well as on IPS framing (in bathrooms and shower rooms where the timber was a mix of 2 x 2 and 2 x 1 PSE softwood).

18ga, in comparison, is mainly for clear finish hardwoods (archis, sometimes skirting, etc), for prototyping (like today when I needed to quickly mock-up a box gutter/flashing support detail so that the architect could see and approve it in situ), etc. Far less obtrusive holrs as you say. The big advantage (sometimes) is that 18ga doesn't have a lot of holding power and so stuff put together with it but without glue can be quickly dismantled, modified and fixed together again relatively easily

"The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell from The Triumph of Stupidity", 1933
fin

Post by fin »

litterally only ever seen 16 and 18g guns never a 15
Job and Knock
Old School Chippie

Post by Job and Knock »

Not common, I admit

fin

Post by fin »

are the 15g brads angled? or straight?
Job and Knock
Old School Chippie

Post by Job and Knock »

Angled. They are what are teferred to as "DA" type and have a round head and round shank

fin

Post by fin »

ahh ok interesting. i assumed theyd still be the T head type the same as 16g

so its a step down from a 1st fix rather than a step up from a second fix basically
fin

Post by fin »

basicaly a 1 and a half fix
Job and Knock
Old School Chippie

Post by Job and Knock »

Much nearer to a panel pin or lost head nail I'd say

oz0707

Post by oz0707 »

Did you get rid of your first fix DeWalt then J&K?
I've done a couple of roofs with mine and some fencing. The belt clip is diabolical. I've heard bad things about them but mines going okay so far.
Job and Knock
Old School Chippie

Post by Job and Knock »

Yes. Sold it on (the DCN692). It had done 4+ years work for me with nary a missed beat (although two sets of springs and one drive pin) so I didn't really lose on it. The reason it went wasn't that it was no good, rather it was a combination of factors - I wanted a couple of 2nd fix nailers which would sink nails in hardwoods (the DCN660, whilst great on MDF and softwood isn't wonderful on denser hardwoods), I needed a 15ga nailer for a specific task (DW don't have one in the UK), I didn't want to take on another battery system unless I got rid of an existing one, for interior finishing work pneumatics are out of the question (the hoses scuff and mark everything) and I detest gas nailers. In January that sort of left only Milwaukee (whose new products weren't due out in the USA until late summer - their 1st generation 2nd fix guns have major issues), Hitachi and Ryobi (which are DIY quality TBH). Made it an easy choice - sell the DW kit (my 18 volt kit is Makita LXT) and go Hitachi (4 guns in all)
These users thanked the author Job and Knock for the post (total 2):
oz0707 (Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:34 am) • Argyll (Sat Dec 26, 2020 1:59 pm)
Rating: 14.29%

oz0707

Post by oz0707 »

How are you getting on with the hitachi? They're supposed to be good.
I'm like you my main kit is makita but I have a bit of the dewalt system - 2 5ah batts, 1 2nd fix gun and 1 first fix gun, plus the autofeed drywall gun which is pretty good.
Did you hate the belt clip on the 692 as well?
Job and Knock
Old School Chippie

Post by Job and Knock »

The Hitachis have all been good, so far, although the service lights on the NR1890 came on recently so I have just sent it in for a (warranty) service. If you think the clip on th DW is bad, you'd hate the one on the NR1890. It's really a rafter hook but it is ridiculously big - about 3-1/2in wide. The solution is to bin it and install the same item off one of the pinners (although I have yet to do that)

Return to “Tool Talk”