All tool questions and recommendations or complaints in this forum please

Moderator: Moderators

Witterings
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Which Makita Drill?

Post by Witterings »

I'm looking at getting a new drill and have narrowed it down to between 2 ..... both Makita as that's what I have batteries for.

It's either the DHP482z
https://www.powertoolworld.co.uk/makita ... ofug8q1nh3
which seems like a general middle of the road drill

OR the DHP458Z
https://www.powertoolworld.co.uk/makita ... -body-only

I'm just general DIY and putting up a few shelves although I am getting into it a bit more so likely to take on bigger but not huge projects over time.

The 458 is obviously more capable and offers some future proofing but I probably won't be doing that much heavy duty work and it's biggest use will most likely be as a screwdriver.
I wonder if the 458's overkill for me and not sure of you can take the side arm off but would probably find it gets in the way / is cumbersome and is generally heavier which may be frustrating .... especially if using it as a screwdriver most of the time.

Be interested to hear what other people's thoughst ar and which they'd get for this type of use.
ayjay

Which Makita Drill?

Post by ayjay »

The 482 has metal gears (which would swing it for me) and is perfectly capable of driving screws. The 485 only says "two speed gearbox", no mention of metal gears.
One day it will all be firewood.
Witterings
Newly registered Member

Which Makita Drill?

Post by Witterings »

ayjay wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:46 pm The 482 has metal gears (which would swing it for me) and is perfectly capable of driving screws. The 485 only says "two speed gearbox", no mention of metal gears.
That made e google the other one with metal gears and found this on their Aussie site ... would have thought they'd be the same there and here but it's definitely a good point!!
fin

Which Makita Drill?

Post by fin »

not that it matters a jot here.... i have dewalt gear. i have 2 dewalt drills one is the older style brushed motor and 2 gears the other newer style brushless and 2 gears. both suit me perfect as a joiner. my mate has the 3 gear brushless dewalt drill. its canny big. heavy and cumbersome. i cant stand the thing. if it were me id possibly just go with the cheaper lighter drill.

or maybe even consider one of the smaller twin packs if makita do them?
Cannyfixit

Which Makita Drill?

Post by Cannyfixit »

For general diy I would opt for the twin packs as Fin suggests, these come with an impact driver as well as a drill
If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk/#/ple ... 4529684719
big-all
Pro Carpenter

Which Makita Drill?

Post by big-all »

how old are the batteries you have and what ah are they ??
sometimes a full kit can give you greater flexibility
we are all ------------------still learning
Witterings
Newly registered Member

Which Makita Drill?

Post by Witterings »

fin wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:32 pm not that it matters a jot here.... i have dewalt gear. i have 2 dewalt drills one is the older style brushed motor and 2 gears the other newer style brushless and 2 gears. both suit me perfect as a joiner. my mate has the 3 gear brushless dewalt drill. its canny big. heavy and cumbersome. i cant stand the thing. if it were me id possibly just go with the cheaper lighter drill.

or maybe even consider one of the smaller twin packs if makita do them?
Cannyfixit wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:39 am For general diy I would opt for the twin packs as Fin suggests, these come with an impact driver as well as a drill

I've only just looked up what twin packs are and yes that'd be a great idea although the Makita ones all seem to come with either batteries or charger or both so it's more economical to buy them individually which as a shame as I've only fairly recently bought the batteries, charger, chainsaw and circular saw and they do all sorts of combo's which would have been great and probably saved me quite a bit as well!!!

When would you use the impact driver over the combi drill ... I'm guessing as the screwdriver ... I may possibly take a change of direction and go for an impact driver now (b'day list) and "limp on" with my current drill (battery will last a lot longer if only doing 1 of teh 2 jobs) and upgrade that at Xmas.
Witterings
Newly registered Member

Which Makita Drill?

Post by Witterings »

big-all wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:17 am how old are the batteries you have and what ah are they ??
Literally 2/3 months old and 5.0amp .... noticed quite a few of teh twin packs were 10.8v or 12v as well and mine are 18v.
big-all
Pro Carpenter

Which Makita Drill?

Post by big-all »

Witterings wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:25 am
big-all wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:17 am how old are the batteries you have and what ah are they ??
Literally 2/3 months old and 5.0amp .... noticed quite a few of teh twin packs were 10.8v or 12v as well and mine are 18v.
ok your sorted :thumbright:
we are all ------------------still learning
Cannyfixit

Which Makita Drill?

Post by Cannyfixit »

Witterings wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:24 am When would you use the impact driver over the combi drill ... I'm guessing as the screwdriver ... I may possibly take a change of direction and go for an impact driver now (b'day list) and "limp on" with my current drill (battery will last a lot longer if only doing 1 of teh 2 jobs) and upgrade that at Xmas.
yes they drive screws in a lot faster than a combi drill ,for example ive just fitted some sleepers in a garden and 6inch screws went in in around 5 seconds.i would advise you buy the impact rated screwdriver bits
If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk/#/ple ... 4529684719
sammy.se

Which Makita Drill?

Post by sammy.se »

I have the 458. Brilliant kit. Glad I bought it. Yes the side arm is removable. Remember that if you ever need to use wide cutting bits like hole saws, you'll need a stronger drill, so for all round versatility, the 458 is excellent.

I've had mine for 7 years now.

I recently got an impact driver (from Lidl :-)) and it is excellent.
If you can afford both the 458 and an impact driver then that would cover you really well.
These users thanked the author sammy.se for the post:
Job and Knock (Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:04 pm)
Rating: 7.14%
Witterings
Newly registered Member

Which Makita Drill?

Post by Witterings »

sammy.se wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:13 am I have the 458. Brilliant kit. Glad I bought it. Yes the side arm is removable. Remember that if you ever need to use wide cutting bits like hole saws, you'll need a stronger drill, so for all round versatility, the 458 is excellent.

I've had mine for 7 years now.

I recently got an impact driver (from Lidl :-)) and it is excellent.
If you can afford both the 458 and an impact driver then that would cover you really well.
I was thinking about this overnight and sort of came to the same conclusion as longer term I'll definitely get both in which case the extra size / weight of the drill isn't an issue as the smaller lighter impact driver will be doing the majority of the day to day work where something larger may be a pain and I have the extra headroom in the drill if I ever need it.

Cheers for everyone's help and input .... much appreciated !!! :-) :-)

Return to “Tool Talk”