Grease Advice

All tool questions and recommendations or complaints in this forum please

Moderator: Moderators

dewaltdisney

Grease Advice

Post by dewaltdisney »

I opened my Echo hedge clipper drive box expecting to see white lithium grease. Whats is in there is dark and I am not sure if this is from use or if I can use the grease I have which is this https://www.carlube.co.uk/product/moly- ... isulphide/ to top it up. The existing grease is packed around the edge of the case and it is quite dense.

It lubricates the reciprocating motion of the two clipper blades so I am thinking it will be okay as it says it sustains heat, not that it gets that hot after prolonged use.

I have no experience in these matters so any guidance appreciated.

DWD
Rorschach

Grease Advice

Post by Rorschach »

Your grease is probably much better than they used originally.
These users thanked the author Rorschach for the post (total 2):
Dave54 (Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:07 pm) • dewaltdisney (Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:55 pm)
Rating: 14.29%
Dave54

Grease Advice

Post by Dave54 »

Rorschach wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:22 pm Your grease is probably much better than they used originally.
That's what I think.
TBH, I use what's in the gun, usually moly, unless it's something super critical, like, er, like something super critical. :-)
I think I've said before, my petrol hedge trimmer's years old and still going strong. Gets a couple of pumps of grease every use.
These users thanked the author Dave54 for the post:
dewaltdisney (Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:54 pm)
Rating: 7.14%
dewaltdisney

Grease Advice

Post by dewaltdisney »

Great, so as I have the cover off shall I just add a blob and spread it evenly to fill the housing or just smear the moving bits?

Thanks

DWD
Dave54

Grease Advice

Post by Dave54 »

With things like that, that are in a "gearbox" I usually do sort of both. Put some on the specific areas that actually need it, and then add a general blob over the works, but not enough to overfill the casing. That way you'r reasonably sure that there is lube where it's needed, and a bit extra that'll work in as the thing's running.
It's basically what was done with the big stuff in industry, and it's always worked OK for me.
Cleanliness is important as well. You obviously don't want to put dirt in with the grease.
dewaltdisney

Grease Advice

Post by dewaltdisney »

Thanks Dave, I see. I am probably being a bit over-cautious as the reciprocating action causing the blades to clip is quite intense. I will have another look inside after a bit of work to see how it is going I think. Now I have my socket drives it is a two minute job. I always spray the blades with WD40 after use and 3 in 1 over winter.

DWD
Dave54

Grease Advice

Post by Dave54 »

dewaltdisney wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:47 pm Thanks Dave, I see. I am probably being a bit over-cautious as the reciprocating action causing the blades to clip is quite intense. I will have another look inside after a bit of work to see how it is going I think. Now I have my socket drives it is a two minute job. I always spray the blades with WD40 after use and 3 in 1 over winter.

DWD
I'm sure it'll be fine mate. Lube being in there on the mechanism and not dried out is the main thing. I've looked in lots of power tool gearboxes over the years, and the only one I can remember being dried out was my ELU belt sander. IIRC it actually says it wants checking every so many hours, and I forgot!
Scrap one gearbox, but then they run quite warm.
I do the same with my hedge cutter. Spray it. Again it's worked OK doing that over the years.
These users thanked the author Dave54 for the post:
dewaltdisney (Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:19 pm)
Rating: 7.14%
Rorschach

Grease Advice

Post by Rorschach »

WIth closed gearbox type arrangements I like to go for a 2/3rds fill. This means that there isn't so much in that it will lock up (a potential issue with too much grease) and there space for it to move around. Bit it also solves the problem of when you half fill it and the grease gets pushed to unused half and doesn't do any good, I see this all the time in angle grinders, gearbox half full of grease but none on the actual gears.
These users thanked the author Rorschach for the post (total 2):
dewaltdisney (Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:47 am) • Dave54 (Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:40 pm)
Rating: 14.29%
dewaltdisney

Grease Advice

Post by dewaltdisney »

I did just that I gave a good blob of grease directly on the moving bits and a little bit more in the voids. I avoided overdoing it as Dave suggested so it does have room to move. I will check it out again before winter storage but I have a fair bit of work to do in the next few weeks and wanted to make sure it was well lubricated.

DWD

Return to “Tool Talk”