Compressors are they worth it?

All tool questions and recommendations or complaints in this forum please

Moderator: Moderators

dewaltdisney

Post by dewaltdisney »

This will do most of what you want to do with it https://www.screwfix.com/p/stanley-8216 ... 240v/48089

DWD
Argyll

Post by Argyll »

I suppose though it's what you're using it for. About 90% of the time I'd use it for blowing crap out of tools etc. The other 10% would be for pin nails in architrave.The makita was too big and got in my way hence why I like the size and portability of this.

It was either the Stanley or the Senco that Fin posted but the Stanley has a bigger tank and more psi.
Someone-Else

Post by Someone-Else »

dewaltdisney, have you been looking in my shed again?

c1.jpg
c1.jpg (76.75 KiB) Viewed 2579 times

That is the one I have, I quite like it. Well worth the dosh.
Above are my opinions Below is my signature.

Would you hit a nail with a shoe because you don't have a hammer? of course not, then why work on anything electrical without a means of testing Click Here to buy a "tester" just because it works, does NOT mean it is safe.

:mrgreen: If gloom had a voice, it would be me.

:idea1: Click Here for a video how to add/change pictures

Inept people use the QUOTE BUTTON instead of the QUICK REPLY section :-)
Argyll

Post by Argyll »

dewaltdisney wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:24 pm This will do most of what you want to do with it <span class="skimlinks-unlinked">https://www.screwfix.com/p/stanley-8216 ... 8089</span>

DWD
I decided against that one as I would have the same problem as the Makita with noise. I couldn't use it after 7pm as the neighbours would go nuts.
Someone-Else

Post by Someone-Else »

You could build a soundproof box for it..............and use a compressed air nail gun :-)

But, like I said, buy a small one, it is a waste of money, it can't do much or last long at all.

Would you hit a nail with a shoe because you don't have a hammer? of course not, then why work on anything electrical without a means of testing Click Here to buy a "tester" just because it works, does NOT mean it is safe.

Argyll

Post by Argyll »

someone-else wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:49 pm You could build a soundproof box for it..............and use a compressed air nail gun :-)

But, like I said, buy a small one, it is a waste of money, it can't do much or last long at all.
Good idea. Have you ever sprayed with your one?
dewaltdisney

Post by dewaltdisney »

The CFM rate is insufficient in most instances for spraying. I have an HVLP sprayer but I have hardly used it because the clean up is too labourious and overspray goes evrywhere if you do not have a booth.

DWD
Someone-Else

Post by Someone-Else »

Argyll wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:52 pmGood idea. Have you ever sprayed with your one?
No, I am not that good at DIY, but as dewaltdisney points out, you don't want to spray unless you have a spraybooth, I have read of people who spray painted fence panels, and had to pay for nextdoors car to be cleaned due to overspray, that wouldn't happen with a booth, then there is the thinning and mixing you have to do, not to mention the cleaning.

ayjay

Post by ayjay »

Mine is about the same size as that and it's fine for basic maintenance on car tyres although I doubt if it has enough oomph to blow one up where the seal to the rim has gone.

I'd be questioning the "Silent" bit of the description, silent compressors are expensive.

Same as mine, but with different badge.
Compressor_same as ZX500.jpg
Compressor_same as ZX500.jpg (116.48 KiB) Viewed 2568 times
One day it will all be firewood.
Someone-Else

Post by Someone-Else »

ayjay wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:14 pmMine is about the same size as that and it's fine for basic maintenance on car tyres although I doubt if it has enough oomph to blow one up where the seal to the rim has gone.
For "a test" I did let a tyre down till flat as a pancake, then blew it up, no problem.

Argyll

Post by Argyll »

Typically I couldn't make my mind up and went full circle and ended up buying the Impax from SF.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/impax-om227- ... 230v/4070v

It was the same price as the Stanley. The Stanley didn't get very good reviews hence why I opted for the Impax. It's about the same specs as the Makita I had but I bought the Makita for £100 and sold it for £200 so this has cost me nothing.
dewaltdisney

Post by dewaltdisney »

Is it noisy A? It looks similar to my Aldi one which creates a real racket when it is running.

DWD
Argyll

Post by Argyll »

dewaltdisney wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:22 am Is it noisy A? It looks similar to my Aldi one which creates a real racket when it is running.

DWD
Yes it is but wearing ear defenders I hardly notice. A couple of people noted it's quiter on the floor but I can't as the cable is too short. One thing I learned is you're not supposed to use a cable extension with compressors as it overloads the motor.
Someone-Else

Post by Someone-Else »

You can use an extension lead no problem..................provided the extension lead cable is big enough and not coiled up.
Most extension leads the cable is less than 0.5mm which is ok for a TV but not for something that draws a lot of current

Argyll

Post by Argyll »

someone-else wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:56 am You can use an extension lead no problem..................provided the extension lead cable is big enough and not coiled up.
Most extension leads the cable is less than 0.5mm which is ok for a TV but not for something that draws a lot of current
Hmmm most instructions state to use a longer air hose rather than an extension because it would cause the motor to overload.
The air compressor power cord is meant to be plugged directly into a wall socket. No power bar or extension cord is recommended to be used. ... Using a too small or too long extension cord with your air compressor can result in the motor overheating and eventually the compressor motor burning out if used too long.
https://understanding-air-compressors.c ... oo%20long.

https://www.about-air-compressors.com/w ... ompressor/

Not my words. It's just what I've read.

Return to “Tool Talk”