Best drill?

All tool questions and recommendations or complaints in this forum please

Moderator: Moderators

telmadee

Best drill?

Post by telmadee »

Hiya, I just wondered if anyone could offer me a bit of advice regarding drills/impact driver please? At the minute we have a dewalt cordless it's about 8/10years old. We want to buy/update now, we have about £500/600 at a push, and want a drill and impact driver please and just wonder of anyone could recommend any please? Hubby has been reading about Milwaukee (because he borrowed my sons 5 year old one and loved that one) but read negative reviews saying trigger kept sticking, any advice or recommend would be gratefully recieved because hes never been big I to DIY but I'm slowly getting him Into it.

Thanks in advance
etaf

Best drill?

Post by etaf »

you could get another dewalt set, BUT make sure the version of the Drill/Impact driver
The 3 speed impact driver is excellent
DCF887N

BUt some kits have the cheapest Drill, which i have , its been working OK but i would have preferred the 7 or even 9 Series
DeWalt DCD795
BUT there are loads of kits available , and i notice toolstation has offers on at the moment
I then supplemented with a SDS Drill

My son-in-law has a lot of dewalt, but also quite a few Milwaukee cordless for working on the car - they appear very good also

Just today , i had an email
ON offer from toolstation, with a couple of 4AH batteries and box
https://www.toolstation.com/dewalt-dck2 ... ack/p88353

It would also be worth thinking about what other tools you may want , once bought into a cordless system, then you may want to stay with that system
I now have a lot of cordless dewalt tools, multitool, jigsaw, circular saw, angle grinder, planer, rightangle drill, other corded, SDS Drill, Sliding MitreSaw
These users thanked the author etaf for the post:
telmadee (Sun May 03, 2020 1:20 pm)
Rating: 7.14%
Simple DIYer
Wayne
telmadee

Best drill?

Post by telmadee »

etaf wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 1:01 pm you could get another dewalt set, BUT make sure the version of the Drill/Impact driver
DCF887N

BUt some kits have the cheapest Drill, which i have , its been working OK but i would have preferred the 7 or even 9 Series
DeWalt DCD795
BUT there are loads of kits available , and i notice toolstation has offers on at the moment

My son-in-law has a lot of dewalt, but also quite a few Milwaukee cordless for working on the car - they appear very good also

<span class="skimlinks-unlinked">https://www.toolstation.com/dewalt-dck2 ... 8353</span>

It would also be worth thinking about what other tools you may want , once bought into a cordless system, then you may want to stay with that system
I now have a lot of cordless dewalt tools, multitool, jigsaw, circular saw, <a href="http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_nkw=angle+grinder" class="skimwords-link" target="_blank" data-skimwords-id="877335" data-skimwords-word="angle%20grinder" data-group-id="0" data-skim-creative="300003" title="Shopping Link Added by SkimWords" occurrence="1" data-skim-node-id="158:Inowhavealotofcordle_1" style="">angle grinder</a><span style="position: absolute;"></span><span style="position: absolute;"></span>, planer, rightangle drill, other corded, SDS Drill, Sliding MitreSaw
Thank you so much for your reply, that is very helpful, I will take a look at that link you attached :-)
telmadee

Best drill?

Post by telmadee »

etaf wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 1:01 pm you could get another dewalt set, BUT make sure the version of the Drill/Impact driver
DCF887N

DeWalt DCD795

<span class="skimlinks-unlinked">https://www.toolstation.com/dewalt-dck2 ... 8353</span>

I now have a lot of cordless dewalt tools, multitool, jigsaw, circular saw, <a href="http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_nkw=angle+grinder" class="skimwords-link" target="_blank" data-skimwords-id="877335" data-skimwords-word="angle%20grinder" data-group-id="0" data-skim-creative="300003" title="Shopping Link Added by SkimWords" occurrence="1" data-skim-node-id="158:Inowhavealotofcordle_1" style="">angle grinder</a><span style="position: absolute;"></span><span style="position: absolute;"></span>, planer, rightangle drill, other corded, SDS Drill, Sliding MitreSaw
Just letting you know I have taken your advice, (and the link) and ordered the set plus bits and it will be getting delivered tomorrow....thank you so much again
dewaltdisney

Best drill?

Post by dewaltdisney »

Being from Yorkshire I would have expected you to look for more of a bargain :lol: I have had a load of Dewalt kit over the years but when my last NiCad one died half way through a job I bought a 'get out of jail' drill from Screwfix for £60 on offer. With two 18v Li Ion batteries it does the job perfectly and I am still using it. The batteries fit all the range of their tools so you can buy bare tools and use the same batteries to power them. A spare 4.0 Ah battery is only £40. for what you intend spending you could buy the whole range. Have a look https://www.screwfix.com/search?search=erbauer+18v#_=p

Just an alternate suggestion to think about. :thumbright:

DWD

Oops 2 seconds to late
These users thanked the author dewaltdisney for the post:
telmadee (Sun May 03, 2020 3:19 pm)
telmadee

Best drill?

Post by telmadee »

dewaltdisney wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 2:09 pm Being from Yorkshire I would have expected you to look for more of a bargain :lol: I have had a load of Dewalt kit over the years but when my last NiCad one died half way through a job I bought a 'get out of jail' drill from Screwfix for £60 on offer. With two 18v Li Ion batteries it does the job perfectly and I am still using it. The batteries fit all the range of their tools so you can buy bare tools and use the same batteries to power them. A spare 4.0 Ah battery is only £40. for what you intend spending you could buy the whole range. Have a look <span class="skimlinks-unlinked">https://www.screwfix.com/search?search= ... #_=p</span>

Just an alternate suggestion to think about. :thumbright:

DWD

Oops 2 seconds to late
Hiya DWD thanks so much for your reply too, hubby was really pleased with the ones etaf recommended so happy hubby happy life Haha....I may get one of those bargain ones for myself then and if all fails with his he can borrow mine :huray: :lol:
etaf

Best drill?

Post by etaf »

wow , that was a quick decision I expected you may have a look at other options and explore the Milwaukee route a little more, although that has sold out already , so was not a bad deal I think, of you decided to go dewalt route for future system too.

i hope you enjoy,
telmadee (Mon May 04, 2020 8:24 am)
Simple DIYer
Wayne
Chippo1

Best drill?

Post by Chippo1 »

Always Screwfix very expensive for power tools
These users thanked the author Chippo1 for the post:
telmadee (Mon May 04, 2020 8:23 am)
etaf

Best drill?

Post by etaf »

Dont forget to register the tools, with dewalt and claim the 3 year warranty
you can register the account here
https://mydewalt.dewalt.co.uk/3/
Then add the products , the code to register may be difficult to see on the tool, sometimes in the battery slider part.
Simple DIYer
Wayne
etaf

Best drill?

Post by etaf »

with regard Drill bits, I have not found the dewalt to be very good, the best bits i have used are the Bosch Multi Construction TCT Drill Bits, they come in a couple of sets or individual. I used a lot for DIY and not had to use hammer on masonry with these bits , really excellent, available at toolstation or screwfix.
Simple DIYer
Wayne
telmadee

Best drill?

Post by telmadee »

etaf wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 5:16 pm wow , that was a quick decision I expected you may have a look at other options and explore the Milwaukee route a little more, although that has sold out already , so was not a bad deal I think, of you decided to go dewalt route for future system too.

i hope you enjoy,
No he wanted some and the link you sent seemed a really good price and he was happy....he is constantly checking his phone now for updated messages to give us a time slot for delivery (like a kid at christmas) only thing was he ordered the Dewalt torque bits and drill bit set to go with it, so we may have to get some of the bosch ones you recommended. Like I said before he isnt big on DIY I tend to do it all, however saying that during lockdown we have built a new metal shed that was ordered prior to lockdown but got delivered first week of lockdown, and erected a small fence and built a bird table with roof and a bird seat style feeder Haha so I'm getting him there. Will definitely register them when we get them too....thank you so very much once again for your help.

Kind regards Dawn
etaf

Best drill?

Post by etaf »

he is constantly checking his phone now for updated messages to give us a time slot for delivery (like a kid at christmas)
Did he play with them as well, once arrived like christmas, I know how he feels , i do the same , SAD
I have been waiting for a handy measure , for measuring into a corner with a tape measure, probably unnecessary but i'm a sucker for gadgets, arrived today in post, so in quarantine for a couple of days, which we do with post at the moment, as sheilding
Simple DIYer
Wayne
telmadee

Best drill?

Post by telmadee »

etaf wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 2:07 pm
he is constantly checking his phone now for updated messages to give us a time slot for delivery (like a kid at christmas)
Did he play with them as well, once arrived like christmas, I know how he feels , i do the same , SAD
I have been waiting for a handy measure , for measuring into a corner with a tape measure, probably unnecessary but i'm a sucker for gadgets, arrived today in post, so in quarantine for a couple of days, which we do with post at the moment, as sheilding
He did blinding me with the lights as he did hah he has ordered some of the bosch drill bits you recommended too...I think it's a man thing with the gadgets ts not sad at all, ....but I cant complain because with the money left over for the drills he ordered me a kitchen aid stand mixer which has now arrived so I've been playing with that too. When any parcel or letters arrive at ours I have a disinfectant bottle at the front door and spray it ....usually leave it a good hour or so afterwards ....but not for the tool delivery, it was sprayed and opened within half an hour then washed and rubbed with gel after :thumbright:
20200505_184229.jpg
20200505_184229.jpg (298.94 KiB) Viewed 2748 times
etaf

Best drill?

Post by etaf »

looks good, I use the magnetic holder all the time now - But I got the
DEWALT IMPACT TORSION SCREWDRIVER BIT SET 14 PCS (2738K) from screwfix https://www.toolstation.com/search?q=Gr ... 0BIT%20SET and also have the little bit holder , but my goto is the magnetic holder, i did buy a magnet to magnitise and demagnetise bits, but that holder is brilliant
And over the last year, bought a load of other gadgets , most have been used, right angle adapter and pivot bit holder https://www.toolstation.com/dewalt-pivo ... der/p15331
Glad you managed to get something too, although my partner would probably gone for cloths rather than kitchen items - thats my area too..... :) :)
Hope he likes the Bosch blue drills
Next will be the Jigsaw, circular saw, Planer, multitool etc etc - dont let him or you get the tool bug

my Matey Measure turned up and brilliant bit of kit, well made and funny enough already had a reason to measure into a corner and used. I'll be getting another for my son-in-law stocking

All the best, keep safe
Simple DIYer
Wayne
telmadee

Best drill?

Post by telmadee »

He was also impressed by the magnetised bit, but he had to google why it was too long bless him ....told you he was new to DIY, been with him 27 years and just getting into it :huray: but he has also said he wants the little stumps bit too something like a tenner in tool station catalogue that they sent with it...oh and he 'needs' a circular saw too and an angle grinder .....never used one but he needs one hahah. From being little I was a tomboy always in fathers shed he made me a little tool box too and gave me bits and pieces, then I got my own place at 17 and he bought me a pink hammer and pliers etc so I would have my own start up kit. I love looking at a nice tool selection, so I'd probably be in my element in your tool shed by the sounds. The new material measure sounds fab, no need to struggle standing on the tape or needing 2 pairs of hands.

You keep safe too hun

Return to “Tool Talk”