Makita Disc Cutter problem

All tool questions and recommendations or complaints in this forum please

Moderator: Moderators

Richy D
Newly registered Member

Post by Richy D »

Hi all I’m re-building a Makita EK6100 disc cutter and am struggling to connect the short circuit cable as I don’t know where 1 of the 2 ends go at the choke lever end of the cable. Both are female spade connectors and 1 is bigger than the other. I know the smaller one fits onto the end of contact spring but am struggling with the other! My guess is that it somehow completes a circuit when the choke lever is moved but can’t see anywhere obvious that it would push onto? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks 😊
Someone-Else

Post by Someone-Else »

What did google bring up? (I just tried and came up with lots, but I have no idea exactly what I am looking at)
These users thanked the author Someone-Else for the post:
Richy D (Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:46 pm)
Rating: 7.14%
Above are my opinions Below is my signature.

Would you hit a nail with a shoe because you don't have a hammer? of course not, then why work on anything electrical without a means of testing Click Here to buy a "tester" just because it works, does NOT mean it is safe.

:mrgreen: If gloom had a voice, it would be me.

:idea1: Click Here for a video how to add/change pictures

Inept people use the QUOTE BUTTON instead of the QUICK REPLY section :-)
Dave54

Post by Dave54 »

Short cable that makes a circuit, or cable that short circuits the ignition to stop the engine?

Why would the choke be connected to the ignition?
All the petrol engined kit I've worked on has an ignition switch, a throttle lever of some sort that controls the engine revs, and a choke lever or control that sets the mixture "rich" for starting.
I can't remember any of them having the choke connected electrically to anything. Doesn't mean it's not mind, just that I've not seen it.

When pulling things apart, take photographs, or make sketches. We all think we know how they go back until we come to it!

Photos might help now here.
These users thanked the author Dave54 for the post:
dewaltdisney

Post by dewaltdisney »

The cutter looks a lot like a chainsaw motor. The only thing not touched on is the lead from the magneto which I think is connected to the on/off switch so the pull cord does not work until it is on.

DWD
These users thanked the author dewaltdisney for the post:
Dave54

Post by Dave54 »

dewaltdisney wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:56 pm The cutter looks a lot like a chainsaw motor. The only thing not touched on is the lead from the magneto which I think is connected to the on/off switch so the pull cord does not work until it is on.

DWD
Exactly, the switch earths the primary of the mag. (Although I think they're generally a bit more complicated than an old fashioned mag these days and they generally call them an "ignition module" IIRC.
The switch is more of a "kill switch" than an "ignition switch" as such, although there's no difference in what it does.
dewaltdisney

Post by dewaltdisney »

Found this Dave, any help https://www.sparepartsworld.co.uk/product/SPARE_EK6100 Diagram 5, area 97

DWD
These users thanked the author dewaltdisney for the post:
Dave54

Post by Dave54 »

Looking at the manual, https://www.icmsmakita.eu/cms/custom/uk ... _22758.pdf it's a "combination switch choke on / stop"

So it looks like the wire does go to the "choke" which is combined with the ignition switch

The only thing I can suggest OP is to follow the exploded parts diagram either where DWD has linked to or here https://www.icmsmakita.eu/cms/custom/uk ... EK6100.pdf
Richy D (Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:45 pm)
Richy D
Newly registered Member

Post by Richy D »

Sorry for the lengthy delay in replying but I did get it fixed after a lot of head scratching. The bigger female connector slides onto the bottom of the choke cum on/off lever. It completes a circuit when the lever is pushed to the bottom which short-circuits the ignition so stops the engine. It was quite simple to do once figured out and very similar in design to all the other Makita DPC disc cutter saws. Thanks for everyone’s help 👍
These users thanked the author Richy D for the post (total 2):
Dave54 (Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:59 pm) • dewaltdisney (Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:02 pm)
Rating: 14.29%

Return to “Tool Talk”