110v or 240v tools

All tool questions and recommendations or complaints in this forum please

Moderator: Moderators

dmoblay
Newly registered Member
Been thanked: 0

110v or 240v tools

Post by dmoblay »

I’m using tools purely for projects at home. Fairly big projects as I’m remodelling most of the house. I’ve always bought 250v tools but was reading the safety advantages of 110v.

Everyone seems to use 240v at home still and I’m wondering if there is a reason not to use 110v? I don’t mind the additional investment of a transformer - so would 110v be a better solution going forward?

Thanks.
stevei

110v or 240v tools

Post by stevei »

Most people use cordless these days. Can't remember the last time I saw a 110v tool being used anywhere. You can get pretty much anything in cordless form, even SDS drills, although for around the home, 240v ones are much cheaper and more practical. I would also advise choosing kit that can use the same battery packs as these can be expensive.
Someone-Else

110v or 240v tools

Post by Someone-Else »

110v tools used to cost much more than 240 v tools, so 240v was the option for home use, as not only did it cost less you don't need a transformer either.

However as stevei points out most people opt for cordless these days. But cordless does cost considerably more than corded.

The reason building sites insist on 110 was if the cable was cut you could only get 55v shock (You don't need to know how it works) but back in the day they didn't have RCD's (They did have ELCB's but these were rare and no all that good) and with lots of heavy plant and lots of guys on a site cables did get cut and damaged, but as you are at home, and probably have RCD protection (You can always buy a plug in one if you haven't got) I really don't see the point of going to 110v or for that matter cordless, specially if you need something really "beefy" as it Will be cost prohibitive, stick with 240v but by all means if you haven't got, get a cordless drill.
These users thanked the author Someone-Else for the post:
APDIY (Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:25 pm)
Rating: 7.14%
Above are my opinions Below is my signature.

Would you hit a nail with a shoe because you don't have a hammer? of course not, then why work on anything electrical without a means of testing Click Here to buy a "tester" just because it works, does NOT mean it is safe.

:mrgreen: If gloom had a voice, it would be me.

:idea1: Click Here for a video how to add/change pictures

Inept people use the QUOTE BUTTON instead of the QUICK REPLY section :-)
fin

110v or 240v tools

Post by fin »

my entire corded kit is 110v for various reasons. a few years back we were doing a lot of work in a local ship yard. they insisted on 110v or cordless. no matter what. 240v ya were asked to leave the site.

round about that time maybe a little while later dewalt brought out their 54v cordless tools. great cordless platform but it is canny expensive. although their 54v mitre saw is a cracking bit of kit. ya need 2 batteries for it though.

since then ive bought a lot of new cordless gear all dewalt. so cordless deffo the way forward if possible
big-all
Pro Carpenter

110v or 240v tools

Post by big-all »

you wont get the 18v batteries any cheaper than this £100 for two

https://www.ffx.co.uk/tools/product/Dew ... cs=d6lx4mw
we are all ------------------still learning
fin

110v or 240v tools

Post by fin »

mint deal that like
big-all
Pro Carpenter

110v or 240v tools

Post by big-all »

fin wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:09 pm mint deal that like
yes unusual to get at £10 an ah [10x5=50]buuuuuut from now on in this everchanging world for perhaps the next year or so think prices will slump by perhaps 10- 15% on average till things recover uncertainty = reduced costs security = inflated and increasing costs
we are all ------------------still learning

Return to “Tool Talk”