110v Transformers

All tool questions and recommendations or complaints in this forum please

Moderator: Moderators

Cannyfixit

110v Transformers

Post by Cannyfixit »

Morning everyone, I only have one 110v power tool left I. My arsenal and it’s a random orbital polisher which I use for paint correction on my car,so was wondering .
My transformer is a 3kva and is a heavy bit of kit and was wondering how do you calculate what size transformer I will need if I was to buy a smaller lighter one
Details of the machine
porter Cable variable speed model 7424
120c ac 3.7 A ( Nom3.7a) 2500 - 6000 opm
Type 2
I no other information apart from what I have copied from the label on the machine
If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk/#/ple ... 4529684719
Someone-Else

110v Transformers

Post by Someone-Else »

I understand what you mean, but is it worth it? The next available size down weighs not much less than yours does, and costs the same price £70 (Screwfix 61847)
Above are my opinions Below is my signature.

Would you hit a nail with a shoe because you don't have a hammer? of course not, then why work on anything electrical without a means of testing Click Here to buy a "tester" just because it works, does NOT mean it is safe.

:mrgreen: If gloom had a voice, it would be me.

:idea1: Click Here for a video how to add/change pictures

Inept people use the QUOTE BUTTON instead of the QUICK REPLY section :-)
fin

110v Transformers

Post by fin »

theres one of those daft little transformers at my garage. it works fine for smaller tools. hoys its dummy out with my mitre saw but then it is a geet big festool.

the small transformer i inherited it off a plasterer. he used it for his big mixer drill and it runs that absolutely fine. im sure it even runs my core drill too
Cannyfixit

110v Transformers

Post by Cannyfixit »

Cheers guys,after some thinking you are right ,no point if there is no benefit in the weight,after asking a few mates it looks like someone has a smaller one I can have for free,result
If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk/#/ple ... 4529684719

Return to “Tool Talk”