Aldi electric pole chainsaw

All tool questions and recommendations or complaints in this forum please

Moderator: Moderators

dewaltdisney

Post by dewaltdisney »

I decided to buy an Aldi pole chainsaw as I do not like lifting my petrol one above my head, for obvious safety reasons but it is bloody heavy too. I ordered it three weeks ago and it was quickly dispatched to Hermes for delivery. Hermes is effing useless as I got an email from them saying they had the parcel at the district centre and that it was too big for their delivery driver and would be sent by a special courier. A week passed and I followed up on the chat enquiry that is totally automated and bloody useless. Nine day passed and I called Aldi who were excellent and dispatched a replacement. This time it came via Yodel and the service was excellent as it came within two days. The guy put it on my doorstep and rang the bell standing well back. I thanked him and wiped the package with the bleach mix we have to hand for anything coming in to the house.

I opened it this morning and I am well pleased as it is a versatile tool that can be used as an ordinary chainsaw or with the pole attached, very easy to swap. It is only the shorter blade but they are Oregon chains so easy to replace. Filled up the oil reservoir and fired it up. I am sure it will do the jobs I want where I need to loft it up... we shall see.

But for £70 with a three year guarantee it seems like a good buy. I will report back when I have used it.

See https://www.aldi.co.uk/electric-pole-pr ... 1288135500

DWD
dewaltdisney

Post by dewaltdisney »

Follow up: I killed it yesterday, I am doing a monumentally hard job of bringing the height down on our Laurel hedge and I was using the pole saw to help. The thing is that the motor is at the end of the pole so all the weight is forward and makes it very hard to lift, manouver and cut even up my tripod safety ladder. The reach was also inadequate. I had a mountain of offcuts and I was using my loppers to cut the side branches so that the main stems could go through the chipper easily. Like a t*at I had not moved the power cable and cut through a branch and the cable under it with the loppers. I bought one of those orange garden cable plug joints and repaired the cable but it still does not work. It occurs to me It might be the plug fuse so I will have a go at that later. The saw is being consigned to the 'not a lot of use pile' and I ordered a Hyundai petrol pole saw last night. See https://hyundaipowerequipment.co.uk/gar ... -pole-saw/

My logic is that a tree surgeon wanted £800 to do the job and so this is a good investment even it it is used on this job alone. My Hyundai chipper has been an excellent investment and it has paid for itself in the last six months of use I have given it.

So not a great investment but if can get it going I can use it as a small job chainsaw, you can remove the pole and make it conventional size, rather than firing up the Mcculloch.

DWD
dewaltdisney

Post by dewaltdisney »

No luck with the plug fuse. When I cut the cable there was a small flash as it shorted out. My loppers have thick rubber handles so I must have been insulated. The extension reel still works fine and no breakers kicked off. I cannot find a reset button on the saw so I guess it has blown something inside. Unless anyone has any ideas, it is to the dump. I may keep the chain as a spare.

DWD
Dave54

Post by Dave54 »

You checked there's power actually to the tool Walt?
No more damage to the cable anywhere else?
I've never knacked a tool cutting through the cable, and I've done it a couple of times over the years.
dewaltdisney

Post by dewaltdisney »

You know I am not the greatest with electrics Dave, I reconnected the cable using an orange flex connector plug. The two terminals were marked blue and brown so I did not mess that up I think? I am not sure how to do anything else?

DWD
Dave54

Post by Dave54 »

I'd check the whole lead for continuity with a a multimeter Walt.
Unplug the lead and check from the pins to the connector you've put in, and as far as possible in the machine if you can get at it.

Check any fuses by substitution as well.

Just a thought, but the chain brake isn't on is it?
Dave54

Post by Dave54 »

Another unrelated thought I've got a similar petrol pole saw. It's a great tool.
The head end leaks a bit of oil though, so I've cut a gallon placcy container in half, couple of slots either side to take the saw, leaving a bit of "tray" at the bottom, and it catches any drips.
dewaltdisney

Post by dewaltdisney »

Ha ha, yes I checked the brake. I think I am past my sparse electrical knowledge on this and although I have a Multimeter I have never fathomed out how to use it. Mt attention has moved oin to another problem as a bloody cable snapped on my garage door. I have a full repair kit coming from Amazon. The full kit with punch, pins as well as the bars, cones and cables was £20 whereras the cables and cones alone was £10. There might ne a neew thread coming on this :lol:

DWD
dewaltdisney

Post by dewaltdisney »

Follow up on this. I may have mentioned elsewhere that the electric pole chainsaw is consigned to the dump. I bought a petrol powered pole saw to replace it but I liked the electric short bladed saw as I could detach it and use it as a handy small chainsaw. I bought a new electric one from Screwfix for £40 which is amazing value for a full size bar saw. Anyway, I had stripped the 10" bar off the dead saw before dumping it, thinking I can use the spare blade. I was faffing around with it and cut off an attachment, riveted to the bar specific to the other machine, and decided to try it on the full size electric. It fitted easily so now I have an interchangeable bar to suit the job. The short blade is not as intimidating as the long bar, especially up a ladder.

I am glad at times I hang on to things, they sometimes come in handy once in a while...err not often enough to justify the hoarding :lol:

DWD

Return to “Tool Talk”