Router as a drill?

All tool questions and recommendations or complaints in this forum please

Moderator: Moderators

tadaska

Router as a drill?

Post by tadaska »

Can routers which are used for joining worktops be also used to drill a hole which is perfectly perpendicular? I seem to remember watching a video about it but I could be wrong. And I have never seen a router up close.
dewaltdisney

Router as a drill?

Post by dewaltdisney »

It is the speed that you have to reckon with as the speed is very high compared to a drill. The plunge facility on a router does allow a perpendicular movement but even using spiral cutters as opposed to the normal fluted cutter it is not made for drilling. A drill press is usually the tool for accurate drilling depending on the work piece. You can buy portable drill stands for working on drilling insitu

DWD
ayjay

Router as a drill?

Post by ayjay »

dewaltdisney wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:07 pm It is the speed that you have to reckon with as the speed is very high compared to a drill.
My Hitachi is a variable speed model, I can't tell you what speeds 1 to 6 relate to in terms of rpm, but I've used it to drill out for kitchen door hinges without any problems. I'd say it's overkill for anything that you could just as easily use a cordless drill for.
One day it will all be firewood.
jaeger

Router as a drill?

Post by jaeger »

Attachments
500458_xl.jpg
500458_xl.jpg (23.6 KiB) Viewed 1566 times
big-all
Pro Carpenter

Router as a drill?

Post by big-all »

a router dependant on model and size will be between perhaps 35-65mm depth off plunge
you must only use very accurate shank sizes as in 6/8/12mm or 1/4"/1/2" no other sizes will fit
we are all ------------------still learning
Rorschach

Router as a drill?

Post by Rorschach »

Short answer, yes, long answer, depends why you are drilling that hole. There are likely better alternatives.
dewaltdisney

Router as a drill?

Post by dewaltdisney »

Big All makes the most important point in that a router does not have an adjustable 'chuck' to accommodate various drill sizes it has a collet that clamps onto the cutters and it will only accept cutter shanks specific for the collet size.

DWD

Return to “Tool Talk”