Don't wish upon this star - FAKE TOOL WARNING

All tool questions and recommendations or complaints in this forum please

Moderator: Moderators

Job and Knock
Old School Chippie

Post by Job and Knock »

In the odd occasion I've come across fake tools, but never found an entire site full of them. This morning I stumbled across www.wish.com who appear to be too cheap to be true. They are.

The first thing to catch my eye was a Makita DJR181-A recopn saw at £44. The problem is that real DJR181s *no "A" suffix) have a black, rubber covered nose - they are also brushed motors. The heavy duty 18 volt brushless model is called a DJR187 and will set you back over £150.

There are quite a few other fakes on there, all purporting to be Makitas, including drill/drivers, impact wrenches, angle grinders, etc. All very cheap. Just don't expect any parts backup when they fail, and do expect the performance figures (torque, power, speed, etc) to be as rigged as Donald Trump's election fraud claims.

On the flip side of this I bought a knock-off impact driver, not marked with any names, last summer just to see if it would be any use. It got used on production for several months before being trickled down to an apprentice (as a freebie). 9 months later he is still using it, so maybe not that bad after all.

I still wouldn't depend on one for work, however
"The person who never made a mistake, never made anything" - Albert Einstein

"I too will something make, And joy in the making" - Robert Bridges, 1844~1930

"The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell from The Triumph of Stupidity", 1933
Someone-Else

Post by Someone-Else »

I thought everyone knew that "wish.com" is full of tat, its not just tools, you name it, they have it, all tat.
Above are my opinions Below is my signature.

Would you hit a nail with a shoe because you don't have a hammer? of course not, then why work on anything electrical without a means of testing Click Here to buy a "tester" just because it works, does NOT mean it is safe.

:mrgreen: If gloom had a voice, it would be me.

:idea1: Click Here for a video how to add/change pictures

Inept people use the QUOTE BUTTON instead of the QUICK REPLY section :-)
dewaltdisney

Post by dewaltdisney »

I can recall on a rare occasion going to a boot fair a few years ago. Quite why I do not remember but there were a couple of pikey types selling cased Makita drills. They were about £50 but clearly, they were not original as the blue was an obvious different shade, much lighter than the usual colour. I guess they were Chinese made to order for counterfeiters and these two were selling quite a few from the back of their van. I doubt many tradespeople would have bought them but as a home tool do not suppose anyone was too much the wiser with rare use. I rarely frequent anywhere that I might see stuff like this nowadays.

DWD
These users thanked the author dewaltdisney for the post:
Job and Knock (Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:09 pm)
Rating: 7.14%
Bob225

Post by Bob225 »

They may not be fake, but may be a lower cost items designed for the Asian market wish is basically Alibaba but for the general public
dewaltdisney

Post by dewaltdisney »

These were sh*t Bob and obviously a knock off. The battery looked right suss.

DWD
Dave54

Post by Dave54 »

If it looks too good to be true. . .
These users thanked the author Dave54 for the post:
Job and Knock (Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:09 pm)
Rating: 7.14%
fin

Post by fin »

used to get irish fellas knocking about sellign boschmann stuff as professional bosch tools.......

ya can always spot the knock off stuff if ya know what ya looking for like. however some folk do get taken in by it.

Return to “Tool Talk”