Hikoki or Metabo?

All tool questions and recommendations or complaints in this forum please

Moderator: Moderators

sx_turbo

Hikoki or Metabo?

Post by sx_turbo »

Hi Guys,

i need to replace my cordless drill, at present i have an old Hitachi i bought roughly 7 years ago when screwfix had them on offer for 99.99, its given good service and taken a lot of abuse, but now feels like it has lost power and the trigger button has broken off also (thanks to my idiot brother in-law) which has made it rather uncomfortable to use.

at the same time however for some up and coming projects i've got going on it would be handy to have an impact driver also so i'm looking at twin kits.

i have whittled the list down to Hikoki, which my current batteries look like will fit on (although they are only 1.5ah but i believe this only denotes how long the battery lasts and not how much power it has)

https://www.belltools.co.uk/index.php?r ... ct_id=2990

or the Metabo,

https://www.belltools.co.uk/index.php?r ... ct_id=3013

the metabo i am drawn to purely because of brand reputation and the power of the impact driver, although the hikoki has a more powerful combi drill.

thoughts?
Rorschach

Hikoki or Metabo?

Post by Rorschach »

If your batteries are in reasonable nick go with the Hikoki, they have a good reputation and from what I can see a greater range of tools than Metabo so you can always expand later on if you wanted.
These users thanked the author Rorschach for the post:
sx_turbo (Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:37 am)
Rating: 7.14%
sammy.se

Hikoki or Metabo?

Post by sammy.se »

I think you will be safe with either brand - both links you posted are great products. So just go for whatever meets your needs and budget.
If your 1.5 batteries fit the Hikoki, then that is a plus, but to be honest you will probably never use/need them with two 5ah new batteries, so don't let that sway you too much.
Do they both have the same warranty?
These users thanked the author sammy.se for the post:
sx_turbo (Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:24 am)
Rating: 7.14%
sx_turbo

Hikoki or Metabo?

Post by sx_turbo »

Having done further research last night I bought the hikoki.

They blew the metabo out the water in videos I've seen and hikoki are offering a 5 year warranty if you register within 4 weeks of purchase. It's a plus my batteries fit also but as has been stated likely won't be needed.
Argyll

Hikoki or Metabo?

Post by Argyll »

Does anyone else just bin any batteries under 2ah or is it just me? I really can't see the point of them.
sx_turbo

Hikoki or Metabo?

Post by sx_turbo »

Argyll wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:39 am Does anyone else just bin any batteries under 2ah or is it just me? I really can't see the point of them.
I don't think there a complete waste of time, there a technology of the time,

Now you can still buy the 1.5ah batteries but they are now a slimline pack which some people like as it makes the drill a lot light and slightly smaller to get into tight spaces.
ahfix

Hikoki or Metabo?

Post by ahfix »

I've got a couple of 1.5ah batteries on my brushed Hitachi impact driver and combi drill. You do tend to change them more often but on the flip side, when drilling chest height or above with the 5ah pack you do start to feel it on the arms.

I think 3ah is a happy medium and better still with brushless kit.

ah

Return to “Tool Talk”