Dewalt Multi Tool !!

All tool questions and recommendations or complaints in this forum please

Moderator: Moderators

big-all
Pro Carpenter

Dewalt Multi Tool !!

Post by big-all »

i have gone to change the blade a few time and because i have big hands the thing will start up :lol:
must be more careful or take the battery out in future :wink:
we are all ------------------still learning
jactac

Dewalt Multi Tool !!

Post by jactac »

Finally had a reply from Dewalt.

"Good Afternoon

I have been advised the following :

The "nipples" on the universal adaptor are not to designed to fit the hole pattern of competitors accessory blades, they are there to increase the clamping pressure as they bite into the accessory.

This will then increase the force so you can use another brand of blade.

I hope this helps."

So as I suspected, the so called "Universal Adaptor" is nothing more than a locking washer !
I've tried locking it down on a Non Dewalt accessory and after a few seconds of vibration it comes loose, a total waste of time !
big-all
Pro Carpenter

Dewalt Multi Tool !!

Post by big-all »

thanks for the update
really really surprised dewalt have gone to the trouble off unessiseraly engineering a bolt on clamp that simply cannot work efficiently every time by design
Toria
BANNED

Dewalt Multi Tool !!

Post by Toria »

Quick questions for you multi tool users:

When sanding, have you any tips for avoiding gouging or marks please? Do you move the head left to right, or up and down?

I used my Erbauer to sand down a mahogany/teak door, then had one heck of a job hand-sanding to get a decent finish.

Thanks.

(It''s taken a couple of years' use before I picked up a tip that the plunge tool works much better when you use it in a sawing motion rather than straight in.)
jactac

Dewalt Multi Tool !!

Post by jactac »

Yeah, tend to agree about gouging whilst sanding using a multi tool..
I think the problem is the triangle shaped sanding head has a small surface area so the user unitentionally tends to put pressure on the edge of the block causeing these gouges.

I only use mine if I need to get into small awkward areas, I think if I wanted to sand a larger area I would use my orbital sander, but to answer your question I tend to move the head in circular motions if possible.
These users thanked the author jactac for the post:
Toria (Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:03 pm)
Rating: 7.14%
jactac

Dewalt Multi Tool !!

Post by jactac »

big-all wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:29 pm thanks for the update
really really surprised dewalt have gone to the trouble off unessiseraly engineering a bolt on clamp that simply cannot work efficiently every time by design
Probably more of a selling gimmick aimed at owners of other multi tools who can theoretically now "use" their other makes of blades with the Dewalt multi tool..
big-all
Pro Carpenter

Dewalt Multi Tool !!

Post by big-all »

jactac wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:41 pm
big-all wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:29 pm thanks for the update
Probably more of a selling gimmick than an actual useful piece of kit.
dewalt are normally very very good at getting things right so to get such a basic wrong means there is probably more to it :dunno: :dunno:
ahfix

Dewalt Multi Tool !!

Post by ahfix »

That's really disappointing. What else other than old or competitor blades would you use it for? All they had to do was alter the arrangement of the nib and it would have been fine.

ah
ahfix

Dewalt Multi Tool !!

Post by ahfix »

Bosch starlock is the common standard used on these blades (like lidl), isn't it. If so would this work: https://www.screwfix.com/p/bosch-multi- ... tid=609016
big-all
Pro Carpenter

Dewalt Multi Tool !!

Post by big-all »

thats for starlock
the dewalt is like a letter"D" but with 2 flat edges
big-all
Pro Carpenter

Dewalt Multi Tool !!

Post by big-all »

ok an update
playing with any adapter i have to see if the dewalt can take other blade and the simple answer is it can and with reasonable results buuuuut
by using the ryobi adapter with the "b" side on the nipples on the dewalt adapter the blade stays in but a bit loose as the nipples 95% fit inbetween with a tiny gap
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com ... SS350_.jpg
any way new blade 4" fence post went round the whole post up to around 1" more than that the blade would spend most off its time just vibrating
any way after 5 mins decided 80-90% successful and went to unscrew removed hex and the shaft was so hot it was almost too hot to touch like a freshly angle ground 8mm bar or bolt :lol:
motor cool so was fully the friction between blade and adapters and was bore out by shine on the points off contact also the screw down clamp head tightened on the head off the adapter nipples rather than the blade that was a fraction thinner

i then tried the ryobi bolt and head on the dewalt as it has space for the nipples so clamps on the actual blade allowing the blade to cut a wee bit better and with the heat the normal blade to material level so it can be used but needs a ryobi adapter and bolt assembly off which i just happen to have spare :lol:

Return to “Tool Talk”