Is it possible to lower a concrete floor by a few mm?

Tiling questions and answers in here please

Moderator: Moderators

udaman

Post by udaman »

Hi

We're hoping to re-tile our porch and WC. The existing tiles are a mere 7mm and were laid with minimal adhesive direct onto concrete. We're not finding anything we like that's that thin. We can't get thicker tiles without the upheaval and cost of replacing doors, lifting the toilet, etc. So, I wondered if there are any ways to lower the floor by a few mm so that the tiles we like would bring us back to the same height as things are now? Any special tools or techniques? Or is it an absolute ball ache?

Many thanks
dewaltdisney

Post by dewaltdisney »

I would agree that it probably a ball ache. On the face of it you should be able to break the surface down with an SDS chisel drill. It depends if it is a cement screed or concrete as to how hard this would be to do. You would have to get a self levelling compound to get it level and this might be difficult to get the measurement right. Never done it, guesswork in my part.

Or: Hmmm Mrs Udaman lets have a look at some vinyl tiles for the porch, I can put a transition draft proofing strip under the door.

DWD

Return to “Tiling Forum”