Someone please save me

Tiling questions and answers in here please

Moderator: Moderators

teddy_amok

Someone please save me

Post by teddy_amok »

Hello, im hoping someone can help although this close to Christmas im not su

We live in a solid wall granite house with lath & plaster walls. In the kitchen cabinets had been fitted onto failing plaster and some laths and a stud were loose (I did not do this work).

I bit the bullet and removed the plaster and failing laths. I will fit noggins for the wall cabinet and I bought 12.5 plasterboard to cover the void.

I originally bought no tape joint and filling compound to fill the gaps between the old lath & plaster and new plasterboard (1 on the image). I was then going to refit the original tiles which I had taken the tile paint and adhesive of.

After reading articles online I then thought I had bought the wrong compound to fill gaps between plasterboard and lath & plaster. Yesterday, I went to b&q and bought gypsum easifill 60 to use instead of no tape compound on the advice of someone else . Today I have read that you cannot tile over gypsum plaster and so I am back to square one.

A friend also told me that the B&Q tubbed adhesive I have bought is crap and wont work on the joint compound.
He also told me that I need to prime the plasterboard prior to tiling and the Zinsser primer-sealer and stain killer will not be suitable (my friends just a diyer like me)

Because the house is solid wall granite and obv no insulation I was wanting to seal the plasterboard as well as prime it but im so mixed up now.

I told the wife I would undertake this to save money on a plasterer and it would be a quick job. Kitchen has been like this for a week and it seems the things I have bought are useless.

The home is a complete mess for Christmas and whats more a very cold draught is coming in through the gap in the kitchen wall and making the place cold.

Ive had a 3 day migraine and now I have manful. Every part of my body aches and I feel incredibly sick. I have went to far to get a plasterer and I have already spend most of money anyway.

I am hoping someone can help me save face and help me out. I would be so grateful. Otherwise I would be happy if someone just shot me in the head. Either or.

Thank you in advance please kill me.
Teddy
thumbnail_20191223_174946.jpg
thumbnail_20191223_174946.jpg (272.31 KiB) Viewed 2571 times
ae235.jpg
ae235.jpg (24.3 KiB) Viewed 2571 times
59920.jpg
59920.jpg (59.6 KiB) Viewed 2571 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (195.97 KiB) Viewed 2571 times
LadySpark
Newly registered Member

Someone please save me

Post by LadySpark »

I can't comment on the other products but I use gyproc easyfill after channelling out to fit wires behind the wall and it is lovely stuff. So smooth and easy to mix and gives a great finish. I have never used it anywhere that is significantly load-bearing but it is my go-to product for filling internal walls and I love it.

Hope you feel better soon. A week is for ever if you leave a customer's home in a mess. It is not so long to leave your own home in a mess. Our own homes normally fit in around paid work, right? Merry Christmas!
teddy_amok

Someone please save me

Post by teddy_amok »

Thank you for the help LadySpark. I saw a lot of great reviews about it. I should have done more research though. You know what its like when you tired and not feeling 100%. Im just not sure if I should tile over it. Im only using the easifill to fill in gaps around and in between plasterboard and so the width of the easifill wouldn't even be half width/length of tile. Im not doing the whole side of wall with it.

This home has been doing my head in to be honest. Might just switch off for 2 days and leave it the way it is lol

Have a nice Christmas :-)
ahfix

Someone please save me

Post by ahfix »

I am just diy not pro ... I'd just infill the gap with a strip of plasterboard providing the lathe is fixed firm. Use drywall screws every 150mm, you dont say how wide the gap is but a single line of screws down the centre of the strip should be fine. Just make sure the strip is nice and tight, overcut a few mil and shave it back with a knife if needed to make it fit.

As for the other boards make sure they are screwed every 150mm and at appropriate centres depending on studs.

No need to easyfil the gaps between boards.

ah

P.s. your boards are on backwards but should be ok
wine~o

Someone please save me

Post by wine~o »

AH the boards are indeed on back to front, ::b

However once you have corrected that small error (and you must correct) then fill as necessary,
You can tile direct to plasterboard, no primer required, and the ready mixed adhesive is fine for tiles up to 6 inches/300mm provided not in a wet area such as a shower

Reason being that the addy dries by contact with air as opposed to a powdered addy which dries by chemical reaction.

Merry Christmas.
Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk
teddy_amok

Someone please save me

Post by teddy_amok »

Thank u guys for the reply. Hope I havent appeared rude & ungrateful of the help. I ticked the option box that stated I would receive an email if anyone replied. I just thought no one had replied.

Thankfully, the boards are just photoshopped onto the wall by me. I havent put them up yet. I just cut and copied the board that is leanign against the wall. I was trying to just give an idea of what I planned to do.
What I will say though is, I was going to put the boards up as pictured so thank you for the advice. I must have read a bogus bit of information from some wally. This is why I love this website and the people on it. So helpful and friendly.

Could I ask one more question? (Cheeky I know) Obviously the boards and tiles will be put up in kitchen. Its a solid wall house with no insulation. Theres never been any damp in the kitchen but then this wall hasnt had pb on it before. Is it worth my while finding a primer/sealer that would help in case there was to be any damp and is there such a thing or am I worried about nothing?
Usually just a little expected surface condensation on tiles.

Thanx again. Although I missed christmas I hope you all had a good one and I hope you all have an even better new year. Sorry again for the late reply.

Teddy

Return to “Tiling Forum”